got a ticket. options?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

you are flat out retarded if you pay that ticket outright
send the ticket in not guilty
if it doesnt get dropped you still have the option of paying it
if you can get the day off from work without losing more money than the ticket is then take it to court
the DA will almost always offer to lower the cost (unless you are a serious asshole)
then you have the option of taking the charge for the lower amount or taking another day off to go to trial
pay the lower ammount
there is no fucking way in hell you are going to convince the judge that you honestly thought the speed limit on a city road was 60mph
either way its not oing to effect your license so its not a big deal at all anyway
but unless you cant make it to court or it will cost more to fightit than to pay it you should ALWAYS fight the ticket

ever concider prepaid legeal? somthing like 20 bucks a month and you get access to a lawer x amount of times per year for certain things.

how far away is the court?
if its close i would take the gamble and plead not guilty and hope for a no show from the cop

worst that can happen is you get the same fine
chances are it will get plea'ed down to something lower

he prob just picked you out cause he figured it would be a no fight since you are out of state

is the road a country road? if so...i always assume 55mph on country roads...couldnt hurt since there was no speed limit sign...

Here, If you write them a check that's slightly higher than the amount you're supposed to pay (like 50 cents or a dollar) they put it in a different file for the ones that need refunds sent out and they must forget about them because you never hear from them again :ph34r:

they caught on to that a long time ago

now what they do is send the check back to you and the case is looked at as if you never made the payment

so if it doesnt make it to you before your court date and you dont show up it is looked at as if you skipped your court date and a bench warrant is issued for your arrest

Alaska has no penguins????...damnit! well now i don't even wanna go visit Alaska...i went to Mexico the other day...and they have iguanas running around...over here in Georgia we have squirrels running around...and i was so hoping that Alaska would have some damn penguins running around...ughhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

1110911997033207620S425x425Q85.jpg

Unfortunately, all we could get for our zoo were these two young man-cubs.

LOL
I can't tell you how many times tourists have asked me where they can go to see penguins. I usually give them detailed directions to Antarctica.
thell them that the penguins live with the seals, and that you just happen to be going baby seal clubbing and that they are more than welcome to come with you

you mean like this?????

a472_bm.gif

you are flat out retarded if you pay that ticket outright
send the ticket in not guilty
if it doesnt get dropped you still have the option of paying it
if you can get the day off from work without losing more money than the ticket is then take it to court
the DA will almost always offer to lower the cost (unless you are a serious asshole)
then you have the option of taking the charge for the lower amount or taking another day off to go to trial
pay the lower ammount
there is no fucking way in hell you are going to convince the judge that you honestly thought the speed limit on a city road was 60mph
either way its not oing to effect your license so its not a big deal at all anyway
but unless you cant make it to court or it will cost more to fightit than to pay it you should ALWAYS fight the ticket

Exactly. Like I said, if your record is clean they will almost always reduce the ticket. If you plead guilty you get what you get. But if you ask to talk to the D.A. first then he will reduce the ticket to the next lower speeding bracket or give you a parking ticket. (knock on wood) I have only had a couple that were not reduced to something lesser, and thats because they were very minor. I have lived in both NY and NC btw. 1 point is better than 3 points, FIGHT IT.

Count your blessings and be glad you're in such a cheap state.

$180 is a drop in the bucket.

Only fight it if you don't lose money from taking off work, you don't have to spend a good deal of time or gas money to get to the court, and if you're willing to pay the original fine in addition to court costs.

Its probably $180 because you're out of state and the fines are usually more severe for out-of-staters.

Everyone else is correct about the 'prima facie' law. There should be two speed limits that one is to assume should no signs be posted. Here, in New Jersey, it 25mph for a residential area and 50mph for a non residential area, if the road is unmarked.

Find out what the speed limits are in your state, non residential limits may exceed those of NJ since there are less people, therefore you might be able to squeak out a reduced ticket.

Exactly. Like I said, if your record is clean they will almost always reduce the ticket. If you plead guilty you get what you get. But if you ask to talk to the D.A. first then he will reduce the ticket to the next lower speeding bracket or give you a parking ticket. (knock on wood) I have only had a couple that were not reduced to something lesser, and thats because they were very minor. I have lived in both NY and NC btw. 1 point is better than 3 points, FIGHT IT.

Depends where you live.

New York just went to a "no contest" state where you cannot reduce speeding violations. New Jersey put a $250 surcharge on all reduced violations.

I.e., my original fine was ~$160 and to plead down to unsafe driving with no points and a fine, it cost me $415 in NJ.

Back