got a ticket. options?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Depends where you live.

New York just went to a "no contest" state where you cannot reduce speeding violations. New Jersey put a $250 surcharge on all reduced violations.

I.e., my original fine was ~$160 and to plead down to unsafe driving with no points and a fine, it cost me $415 in NJ.

Huh. Didn't know that, I havn't gotton a ticket from that state in a number of years. Last time I did it was reduced. My fiance, however, just got a 96 in a 65 a few weeks ago when we visited and has to goto court.

Huh. Didn't know that, I havn't gotton a ticket from that state in a number of years. Last time I did it was reduced. My fiance, however, just got a 96 in a 65 a few weeks ago when we visited and has to goto court.

Recent articles said that there would be no longer be any negotiations on New York moving violation tickets. I'm positive certain areas of the state have enacted the legislation, because courts were backed up, but its possible the entire state hasn't enacted the legislation yet, but I'm fairly certain most have and that all will within the next year.

From my knowledge NY doesn't transfer points to most other states.

Recent articles said that there would be no longer be any negotiations on New York moving violation tickets. I'm positive certain areas of the state have enacted the legislation, because courts were backed up, but its possible the entire state hasn't enacted the legislation yet, but I'm fairly certain most have and that all will within the next year.

That I know to be true, its worked out in my favor too because I had gotton tickets with my NC license. The dmv said the two states do not report points to each other, only in the case of a DUI. I am moving back to NY in the next couple of weeks, so it will work out til my next ticket.

most states have dopped the points system altogether...

How do they revoke licenses, then?

NY is still on the point system, as is NJ, they simply don't transfer points to other states. They jack the out-of-state ticket prices, rather than reporting points to the DMV for insurance companies to pull.

this is still debatable
i know the law passed but a few friends have pleaded down since this went into effect
and troopers themselves have said its bullshit

this is still debatable
i know the law passed but a few friends have pleaded down since this went into effect
and troopers themselves have said its bullshit

Well frankly it makes the law even more black and white. Under the law its difficult to account for error on both parties (police officer and citizen) account.

I was smoked on the $250 surcharge in NJ after it was enacted to generate revenue to the state, as opposed to local government, but I have heard of others who had judges who didn't enforce the $250 surcharge.

How do they revoke licenses, then?

its based on the crime.

i think these figures are accurate, but are from my head:

1st dui = loss for a year
2nd dui = lost for ever
reckless driving = 30 days

1st ticket in 3 year span, nothing
2nd ticket = driver retraining class. failure to go = suspended license/fine
3rd ticket = " "
4th ticket = " " and 30 day suspension

normal moving violations and parking tickets don't get your license pulled unless you don't go to the class.

here in CA the DUI laws are different. Especially if you have a commercial license. 1st offense: 6 month suspension (you can get a restricted license after 3 months if you're enrolled in your class) 2nd: 2year suspension, then 3rd offense is revoked for 4 years or more. These are minimums, btw... it all depends on the 'severity' of your DUI charge.

Then it's the point system (DUI is worth 2 pts) etc.

Here's the rundown on points:
You may be considered a negligent operator when your driving record shows any one of the following "point count" totals regardless of your license class:
4 points in 12 months
6 points in 24 months
8 points in 36 months
Some examples of one point violations:
  • A traffic conviction.
  • An at-fault accident.
Examples of two point violations:
  • Reckless driving or hit-and-run driving
  • Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs
  • Hit-and-run driving
  • Driving while suspended or revoked
If you get too many "points," you will lose your driver license.

wow. lol.

i wont get any points, they dont transfer. why do you guys not read? i said it in the very first post lol. i dont live in WV, i live in MD. the price isnt higher because im out of state. as of right now, only the cop knows im out of state, and he doesnt determine the fine amount, not in WV anyway. just like my last ticket in WV, when you get pulled over, you sign the ticket and you have to contact the court within 10 days and they tell you the fine amount. when i called the court its usually an automated machine that lists the fine amounts based on speed over the limit. they dont ask who i am, the ticket number, nothing, just the speed.

and MD still uses the point system.

0-9 over = 1 point
10-29 over = 2 points
30+ over = 5 points
*exception 20 over in 65 zone = 5 points.

points last for 2 or 3 years.

if you get 3-4 points = 30 day susp.
dont remember the other breakdowns
12 + = license revoked

when i was like 17 i got up to 3-4 points and they tried to suspend me but i appealed it, talked to the magistrate saying i needed to drive for work and he let me keep it.

but, the court is 2 hours away. and i honestly dont feel like dealing with it. im just gonna eat it and pay it and never worry again.

Like I said, I know that's CA law, not MD nor WV law... so, you'd have to deal with it appropriately. I merely advised you to go 'attempt' to fight it in court and hope they reduce your fines.

I posted that for the debate about revoking licenses and such. Once again, it always depends on the state. Why would they delete the point system and move it to 'dui vs. ticket vs. accident' that just doesn't make too much sense. At least here, I know they still have it. I just had to go through 'defensive driver's school' to expunge a ticket.

Last edited:
well i wasnt really aiming it at you misty, lol. just the people who keep telling me to fight it to reduce points.

people who dont read annoy me, lol.

Wow, I remember never to speed in your state...ever. Not to mention radar detectors are illegal there too.

Well it only applys to VA residents . All out of staters can haul ass and pay the normal cheap ass fine ... But for the residents .,.. We are pissed off . Its not right to kill the middle class and lower class workers. Its not going to do anything but cause more people stress and eventually people start losing their license , car, home, ect ....

VA FTMFMFMFMFMFMFMFL ....... I am moving out of state next year just because of this communist attidude the politicians have here ....

just what a few residents have to say about ... well 160k

Repeal the VA "Civil Remedial Fees" for Traffic Offenses Petition

its not a common wealth either ...

Commonwealth is for the people... What part of fuckin over the tax payers is susposed to help !!

Depends where you live.

New York just went to a "no contest" state where you cannot reduce speeding violations. New Jersey put a $250 surcharge on all reduced violations.

I.e., my original fine was ~$160 and to plead down to unsafe driving with no points and a fine, it cost me $415 in NJ.
Don't you love that "surcharge". I have 15 tickets and still no points. Needless to say I have spent some dough. And tell me how that is not a "legal" bribe? You pay more to get what you want. Yea ok.

Back