Grindin On The 5th

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Niemoh

Like everyone, i accelerate hard when i'm getting on the highway, but when i go to put my car into 5th gear after doing this, it grinds the gear. I've tested my driving technique out many times and i'm very sure that i am not doing anything wrong. Does anyone have any idea why my car is doing this??? I've had to stop accelerating so much to get on the highway and that takes the fun out of it, plus the sound of grinding gears is giving me nightmares.

Probably a bad sincro, you can get it fixed if you really need to shift fast to 5th or if like me you only go into 5th on the highway you can just double clutch. Meaning you push in the clutch and put it in Neutral and let the clutch out, then push it back in and go to 5th. This is what they did back in the day when they didn't have sincro's.

Just do what I do.... turn up the music really loud so you can't hear the noise.
I assume you have a D series motor? If you do, their trannies blow and you will never go very long before messing up another synchro. So IMO its not worth dealing with until you can't get it into gear at all.

Originally posted by zueke@Jan 22 2003, 05:40 PM
Just do what I do.... turn up the music really loud so you can't hear the noise.

yeeeeeah fuckin rock on mang!

that's what i used to do....

5th gear goes up so damn easy, and 3rd will probally be going next.... all of hondas syncho's are fuckin trash, it doesn't matter what series tranny, they all blow... just part of the territory....

normally all it takes is a horrilby loose or long/short shiftlinkage or just being lazy and letting off the clutch while it's going into gear

Originally posted by zueke@Jan 22 2003, 05:40 PM
So IMO its not worth dealing with until you can't get it into gear at all.

and then you can change your clutch, flywheel (if you want to), and even your final drive, since labor on transmissions is insane. It might even be worth looking into a low-mileage swap, even for the identical longblock. Just my $0.02

-x

the syncros will go even faster when you slam it into gear, If you just shift a little slower, it wont do that as much. Double cluthing takes a little practice to get use to but it will save your syncros (read the faq's about double clutching, calesta wrote a good one and i have tried to use it every once in a while.)

Thanks for the information. Now how much do you think it would cost to get it fixed? someone told me it would cost around $1000. Is that true?

If you have a d series, i would almost say dont worry about it, put that 1000 towards an engine swap. For about 500-700 more you can get a b18b (not sure what car you have just assuming a 5th gen) My tranny has accationally grinded since summer and has not really efffected much. Only thing sometimes when i a f*kin around and go to powershift, i grind in second.

i have a del sol. So you are saying that it WILL cost around $1000 to fix? I mean i know that working on a transmision is expensive, but i didn't think that this was that big of a deal. thanks for the info.

Thanks, i'll look around. Should I look in local junk yards or are there places on the internet i should go? Plus... can anyone tell me what tranny i should look for or what a good replacement would be. I have a 94' DOHC VTec Sol. Thanks again.

call some local junk yards , if you have a lot of money go to hmotorsonline.com i think they have a used type-r tranny for 1300. a integra gsr tranny will work on your car also. any b series motors tranny will work.

Originally posted by vtecsir1@Jan 28 2003, 03:36 PM
call some local junk yards , if you have a lot of money go to hmotorsonline.com i think they have a used type-r tranny for 1300. a integra gsr tranny will work on your car also. any b series motors tranny will work.

:withstupid: The way you were talking about it i thought you had a s or SI. Any hydralic b series tranny will work. If you want a basicly identical tranny, get the 98-00 si or 92-^ SiR tranny (have no idea on the tranny codes sorry) Better gas milage and keep a decent amount of pick up, GSR tranny. Better gas and no pick up, b18b tranny. Lots of pickup, lsd and not the best gasmilage (it cant be that bad you have a honda) get the ITR tranny. Good luck finding anything other than LS trannies in junkyards. The only ones where you'll get the gsr or b16a3 tranny is at a honda selvage yard (forgot the site but someone will post it)

thanks. If i AM going to go in that direction, I would like to get the best one for my money (which i don't have a lot of) so if anyone could post some links maybe even give me some number or something that would be awesome.

I have a b20vtec and my synchros are so bad that it scratches 3rd and 5th, plus I can't go from any gear to second, like when I have to slow down to go around a corner. Synchros are something like $500 from my local Honda dealer. Yes that is about half the price for a used tranny, but this tranny IS a used tranny that I bought on the internet. Plus, Honda manual trannies aren't that bad to fix as long as you have directions. Good Luck. :D

Back