h22 major swap problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Blk_95_lude

well, i've got a few big issues i was hopin someone could help me with. I've got the right ecu and im not throwin any codes so im pretty lost:

1. the car redlines at 6500 and won't go past it at all

2.the vtec doesn't work, or if it does it's not very strong at all.....i checked for any voltage in the vtec wires at all with the car on and im not gettin any.

3. throwin black smoke out the exhaust---think maybe the problem is gas realted but im not sure.

the engine was swapped when i bought it and it used to be an si. my main concern is why the car redlines at 6500 but help in any of these areas would be great. thanx

Sounds like you still have the P14 ECU...I havent finished my swap into my 92 lude yet, but thats my 2 cents.

Are you using premium gas...H22A is a 91+ octane engine. I dont think it would cause those problems, but its a thought

VTEC isn't engaging, which is why it won't rev past 6500. Strange, though, since you're not throwing any codes. Are you sure everything is wired right?

Either you've got a ghetto-chipped ECU or your distributor isn't wired right. Dunno which wires it is, but you can have a couplea wires switched in the dizzy and it'll do what you're describing but won't throw a CEL.

Originally posted by civicious@May 17 2005, 08:08 PM
Either you've got a ghetto-chipped ECU or your distributor isn't wired right. Dunno which wires it is, but you can have a couplea wires switched in the dizzy and it'll do what you're describing but won't throw a CEL.
[post=500675]Quoted post[/post]​

:ditto:

you ECU is going into an "open loop mode". for some reason you ECU is reading something that is telling it that theres something wrong which is why it is not engaging VTEC and redlining at 6500..its a safety feature so u dont dammage something reving at 8000 with no VTEC

you either:

a) like CIVICiOUS said, have a bull shit programmed chip in your ECU that is causing problems with your car running well

-----------------OR---------------------

B) your ecu's reading some kind on malfunction like a sensor or a wiring job which is probably undetected by the OBD system and is causing your problems.

as far as your black smoke..that sounds to me like a bad head gasket or your car is runnig entirely too rich!!

I finally got my VTEC to work but it feels like it takes too long, anyone have any info on why it takes so long (tonight it took 25 minutes because i wasn't driving it hard). Also why would a bad head gasket cause black smoke???

Back