Hard shifting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

Hey gang. My ZC swapped CRX (tranny and engine) has started to get hard to shift. It only starts doing it after I've been driving for a while (30 mins or more) which is easy to do delivering pizza. It gets hard to shift out of 1st and 2nd and hard to shift into 1st, 2nd and third. Every so often, the shift into fifth gear is a little rough. None of this is consistent. I can have a very hard shift one start and at the next light it shifts as smooth as ever. In addition to this, every so often the clutch grabs sooner than expected, it still doesn't fully engage until the same point, but it'll start to put drag on the flywheel sooner. Hard to explain if that doesn't make sense. I have tried adjusting the clutch cable and it seems to have no effect.

I now leave my problem to the unlimited knowledge of my fellows here. Any help would be appreciated and please forgive me if it seems novice of me. I haven't really dealt with transmissions/clutches very often.

my first thoughts are clutch as well, my next thoughts are fluid level / wore transmission

my buddies LS CRX gets hard to shift (grinds alot and doesnt wanna go into gear) when he has been driving for a while. tho his transmission is pretty wore out.

I have very little if any evidence that the clutch is slipping. I deliver pizzas nearly every day and have never noticed anything that would tell me that the clutch is starting to slip.

I've moved that cable up and down to no effect. Either to the point where it drops so fast that I can't control it or that it doesn't even push far enough down to let me switch gears.

try changing your transmission oil. it sounds like maybe your oil is breaking down when it's hot. other than that your syncros could be shot. good luck.

replacing the clutch or components thereof isn't that big of a loss to me. I need to replace the rear main seal anyway. I'll try out the transmission oil and give word back on how it behaves. My driver side axle does sling oil around the engine bay, but it is debatable where the oil comes from. A drip onto the axle or coming out of the axle seal. Maybe I'm low on fluid. I'll let you guys know if the problem persists after a change.

Back