Have You Rebuilt A Car?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94delsoljjg

Has anyone here bought a salvage car and worked on it up until you got it in perfect condition? If so, what was the car, what did you pay, and how much money did you save off of what you would have spent by fixing it up? This seems like a cool and slightly profitable hobby

Originally posted by 94delsoljjg@Jan 21 2003, 01:56 PM
Has anyone here bought a salvage car and worked on it up until you got it in perfect condition? If so, what was the car, what did you pay, and how much money did you save off of what you would have spent by fixing it up? This seems like a cool and slightly profitable hobby

Its a profitable if you get a good deal and a good car. Goto www.copart.com and go to their auctions. They get the clean insurance cars. Its an insurance holding yards. My dads friend buys rebuilders and then resells them. It just all depends what you pay and what you pay for the parts. You also have to know to look at cars to see if they are bent, etc. Trucks are the easiest, most bedsides just unbolt and trucks (depending on area) profit more.

can you do body work... alot of salvaged cars have the rear quarter panels damaged on them, and when that happens you gotta saw a 1/4 cut (pain in the ass, i used to have to do it) on 2 cars then weld a new one on... some rebuilds aren't as bad it all depends on the hit..

like this one for instance.
bonneville
just by looking at it you can tell that the rad and support are still good, the frame is slightly damaged but a puller would do that easy, then after that it's just a rebar, bumper, headlight, fender and a few other little things... but chances are that car will go for alot at the auction because almost everything on the car is salvageable

one time i had my boss bid on a 96 GSR it got creamed in the rear, but what i wanted was upfront, the bidding went all the way to $2800 on it, those guys aren't dumb

now see this civic sedan.... i'm sure it wouldn't go for much more than 300-400 bucks because the whole front is fucked and the bags are deployed
civic

that car is worthless, yeah you could weld a whole new clip on, but when it's all said and done you won't make cock off it.

but there are some cars that get sent to these auctions that are low value trade ins from dealerships or reposessions, it's a quick place to sell those cars and they generally have clean titles, thats where you get the deals.

I've heard about the CoPart auction.. I'm trying to find a way to get into that. (an auto dealer or other qualified person to get in under). I go to a public auto auction where the cars which are anything less than perfect people don't touch. Clean titles and everything... very minor damage. I'm going to the auction Friday and I hope to get a cheap import just to mess around with. I went about 2 weeks ago but didn't bid because I just wanted to watch

my dad and i are going to be restoring a 1970 AMC Javelin here as soon as we can find one.

my mom uysed to have one when she was a teen, she had a 360 in it pushing 345bhp approx. they traded it in when they got to AZ, but now mom realllyyyy wants one, so we're gunna rebuild one for her. maybe i'll get to take it to the track and beat a few ricers that i would have trouble with in my car, hehe. <h22 swap comming in hopefully 4-6 mos though ;) >

I'm working on a 93 del sol right now. Its not that bad at all actually...I paid a little less than $1k for it...and I got all the body parts I needed for $500, plus some odds and ends. Assuming everything goes right, it should be ready to go around March or so, when I get paint.

soooo...$1500 for del sol and parts has left me enough money so far to buy a GSR swap, neuspeed race springs, kyb agx's, and rota attacks w/ falken azenis.

I figure all that is worth the salvage title being that it has everythign I want and will end up costing less than DOHC vtec del sol.

just my 0.02 and personal experience...

i don't know how bad your state is, but new york is a fuckin pain in the ass with salvaged titles, it'll take 2 months just to get your scheduled date in, and you gotta pay like 150, it's a buncha shit

That is the goodness of Okla, salvage titles are NOT a pain to register. I think more salvage titles here then clean titles.

If you are looking and see something that is rolled and has no body panels left, something you know you can sell everythine else, int, motor/tranny.. get it, part it out and put money into things you need. Sometimes you have to buy something you dont want or need, but KNOW you can part out. Money is money.

Back