Hi CR engine doesn't like idling for some reason...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
So, as it says. Here's the build:

AEM CAI
standard tb with all factory sensors in place
portmatched ls IM - stock 240cc injectors
Pnp'd ls head with multiangle vj
Rocket L21 camshafts w/adjustable cam gears, both currently set to zero
11.5:1 compression forged cp pistons - raised wrist pin.
eagle forged H-beams - longer than stock ls rods for increased r/s
stock exh. manifold and exhaust system - will be ditched for rmf when the funds come.

engine management and tuning:

Turboedit version 2603 (2.603 opensource)
NG60 rom
socketed pm6 with serial datalogging port
LM-1 wb
Soon to have egt...

The engine has a piss poor time idling when it's not FULLY warmed up. It's the time after the idle has dropped from the high idle warmup, but before the engine has reach normal operating temperature. I'm running stock near idle, so it shouldn't be having issues, should it? Mike, someone who is running high compression, please chime in! I've messed around with the tables and datalogged the idle area on the map, and everything seems kosher. I am pretty sure it's not the IACV, but I can recheck it again, maybe it needs to be cleaned out or something? The build is only about 7000 miles old, and the idle has been giving me trouble since day one, but it the erratic behavior is erratic, in that it doesn't do it all the time, and it's almost ALWAYS when it's cool outside. Is the cold air affecting the behavior of the combustion at that compression ratio, or do you think it's a mechanical problem? Sometimes after it dies, I have a rough time getting it to start again, like no fuel is getting to the injectors or it's flooded or something. AFRs are in the high 13s to low 14s at idle. Any educated guesses welcome.

I would say your guess about the IACV would be it, especially if it is always when its cooler outside. And yes you can clean it. What do your plugs look like?

Plugs are pretty clean since I have cleaned up the tune. I never see fuel smoke anymore. I'll recheck the plugs though. How do you recommend cleaning the IACV?

BTW I noticed you are running all motor as well. You are in CA right? What EMS are you using?

clean it by usind parts cleaner...i just sprayed mine until all the crap came out. let it sit, then installed

yeah parts cleaner will work good, and no I'm not in CA im in NH. I've been using hondata for the past couple years I have a pretty big build in the works I plan on posting up in a bit. If that does not work, and you are not throwing any codes and you are sure its not part of your tune. Like a fuel enrichment tip in on startup or something like that is called in Hondata. Or the fitv or fast idle thermo-valve that is on the TB with the coolant hose passing through it (not sure if thats how it is on ls throttle body though). Hey by the way how does that motor pull, how high are you revving, etc.

It pulls really good, having trouble with preignition in the middle of the range though. The gas here in cali is terrible, I am going to find some 100 octane and see how it does. Turbo edit doesn't have the fuel enrichment feature on it, but I am thinking of going to crome as soon as I have the cash.

Hmm. I've never had a problem with idle. I always just started with an OEM GSR base map, then adjusted to the correct injector size by scaling the whole map, and I never had a problem with keeping idle steady. Are all your sensors working properly?

I got it working. It was a fuel map issue. I had so many bins on my pc, that I forgot which one was the good one. I found it last night after trying about 10 different maps. Upon finding the right one, I did a little jig, and saved the bin as "goodidle". lol. I don't know what I did to the others to screw them up. It was probably screwed up when I leaned it out for smog. dunno. It works now though. Now to find some 100 octane to mess around with...

Awesome. I'm glad you got it fixed! I've got mine organized pretty well at the shop, so I never lose track of them.

Okay...recap...didn't fix it all the way. It still doesn't like to idle until it's fully warm, but the bouncy idle problem is pretty much gone. Gonna check/clean my EACV and FITV tomorrow.

Datalogging shows a good IAT...I don't know. I just pulled my IACV off and shot some penetrant lube into it, then let it sit for a few minutes, then wiped it off, plugged her back in, and will find out if it did any good. :fingerscrossed:

Well.... I drove out here to colorado, and it was like one massive 16 hour tuning session. When I got into town, my engine was purring like a kitten, without any hiccups or anything. I have since taken a nap, and will check beack later after I see whether this cooling period has let it go back to its weirdness, or if it somehow is fixed. If it is fixed, it's likely the thin air up here, and I just need to tune better. If it is still having the same problem, I'm going to assume a mechanical problem. Will check back later with details.

And Edit: If I live anywhere but the desert or coast, a turbo will be screaming my name. None of this thin air, engine asphyxiation bs like there is up here!

So...just an update on everything. I pulled my exhaust rear section off, and my car seems to be idling better for some reason. Maybe there was excessive backpressure in my muffler that was caused by rust and soot? I don't know, but my acceleration has also increased a bit as a result. More testing to follow...

Maybe you were too rich? Freeing up the exhaust flow will generally make you run a bit leaner.

maybe...my tablets' touchscreen is crappin out on me so I haven't had the time to tune it leaner. Maybe that is the problem. Is it possible that my LM-1 is reading a bit rich? It's telling me I'm running afr's of 14 at idle?

14s at idle should be fine... it might be reading wrong. Do you have access to someone else's wideband?

Quoted post[/post]]
14s at idle should be fine... it might be reading wrong. Do you have access to someone else's wideband?
no I don't, lol, I think I am the only guy within a 100 mile radius that has actually tuned a honda. Everyone around here is either redneck of biker, meaning street bike or harley. And I KNOW none of these guys tune with a wideband. Half the people I have talked to that are even remotely interested in cars are wowed by the term wideband. I'm converting my WRX buddy over to the darkside though, however, he is using a Cobb AP, so there's not much 'tuning' to be done there, per say.

Back