HMO complete swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tegg_gsr

OK I finally found a white 92 hatch vx for $2300.Im gonna go with a gsr swap and Im most likely buying my engine and everything else from hmotorsonline.com. I just wanted to know what else is need to complete my swap?

Ooooooh, good choice! I have the exact same setup, color and everything.

It just so happens I also got my JDM B18C from HMO w/ LSD. GET LSD! It's so worth it! I own other swapped hondas with open differentials for days.

You're going to need the following:

-Wiring harness extension (if JDM, if not, you're fuckin' disco-cool, dude)
-Throttle cable from a 94-95 Integra GSR
-Throttle cable harness (bolts right to the firewall, $15 at the Acura dealership)
-Some sort of intake and filter
-Catalytic convertor or straight pipe
-Cat-back exhaust
-New spark plugs and wires (wires aren't necessary, but they help, plus my 3rd cyl. wire was dead from HMO... bastards)

I also suggest new wheels and rims. The stock VX 13" rollers look tight, but they have zero grip and they just don't exactly strike fear into the hearts of men. It's kinda cool being able to chirp the tires thru all the gears, though ;-) .

You also will need an engine crane and all the requisite tools, obviously.

Good luck, man! It only took me and my tuning team four days in my garage. :D

P.S.: Don't forget to re-wire the 5-wire VX o2 sensor to 4-wire. Instructions can be found in the FAQ section here on the site.

P.P.S.: When connecting the clutch line, use the VX line because the GSR one will not thread correctly on the car-side.

oh yeah about the exhaust.should i get gsr catback and just have it modified.integra looks like a longer car.and how do i know if the swap package im gettin from hmo comes with lsd?

get the exhaust for the car
get the header for the engine
make adjustments at the cat

I ended up putting my own test pipe to mate the 2.5 collector to the WS exhaust I was running, all you need is length, paper, and cranyons...then 20bucks for the muffler shop...

Milan

I am planning to do that exact same thing. i have a 92 Vx and i want swap a jdm gsr in. i was going to get it from HMO or Jdmshit.com but when u say that i will need this..Wiring harness extension (if JDM, if not, you're fuckin' disco-cool, dude)
-Throttle cable harness (bolts right to the firewall, $15 at the Acura dealership)
-Cat-back exhaust
-New spark plugs and wires (wires aren't necessary, but they help, plus my 3rd cyl. wire was dead from HMO... bastards)
...does that mean it doesnt come with the complete swap from HMO? and if i were to get the Front clip...would i still need theses parts? Also has anyone heard of jdmshit.com? they lagit??
P.s i have no idea how to re-wire the 5-wire VX o2 sensor to 4-wire...is this difficult?

Originally posted by 92hatchVx@Sep 7 2003, 06:58 PM
I am planning to do that exact same thing. i have a 92 Vx and i want swap a jdm gsr in. i was going to get it from HMO or Jdmshit.com but when u say that i will need this..Wiring harness extension (if JDM, if not, you're fuckin' disco-cool, dude)
-Cat-back exhaust
...does that mean it doesnt come with the complete swap from HMO? and if i were to get the Front clip...would i still need theses parts? Also has anyone heard of jdmshit.com? they lagit??
P.s i have no idea how to re-wire the 5-wire VX o2 sensor to 4-wire...is this difficult?

a complete swap only comes with the
Motor
- Hydrolic Tranny (S80, Y80)
- ECU (P72)
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed
- LSD Tranny (Optional +$300)
- Spark plugs and wires

you need a intake cause the vx on wont fit you need throttle cable cause it doesn't fit, spark plugs and wires (cause they are most likely bad)

also to 92hatchvx and tegg_gsr getting all new belts for the motor would be a good idea

what about the mounts? on a b series motor going into a 92'95 would you need the mounts or do y ou use the ones that came off the factory motor from the 92? i have been confused about that for a while now.

The HMO complete swap doesn't come with EVERYTHING, you need the things I mentioned above. And no, if you get a JDM front clip, you still need to get the harness extension. On J-spec cars, the ECU is on the left side, on A-spec cars it's on the right side. Hence, the JDM motor-side splugs for the harness are on the other side of the engine bay, about sixteen inchess farther away from the USDM car-side plugs than they should be. My buddy Zac fabricated an extension for me, but I think either Skunk2 or Hasport should have one for sale.

If i were you, i would go for the type r motor and pay for a little more. I got my motor, JDM 98 GSR B18c from HMO too for complete swap $3500. now I want to upgrade everything internally such as skunk2 cams shafts, and type r ecu or mugen ecu. I do my calculation, and upgrading after market parts cost more than just buy the type r motor itself. If i can reverse my choice, i would of better of buying the type r motor. a gsr is a good choice though

Dont forget to replace the Timing belt and waterpump. You have no idea when the JDM dude replaced it or how many mile you have till you have too. Plus it is alot easier when the engine is out. Also, buy a new clutch and resurface the flywheel or buy a new lighten one. You can get an OE style clutch + pressure plate, bearings, ect for 180 from clutchware or clutchcity. It is an exedy one so the quality is pretty good.

Japan Direct

That is where I got my swap from. You just have to call or e-mail to find out if they have what you want. These guys are very thorough and don't sell crap engines. They have been importing engines from Japan for a long time and didn't just jump in the game after F&F came out.
when I got mine it was a complete suspension drop and all the harnesses were uncut and they inlcuded the harness that goes from the ecu to the engine bay and the underhood fuse box.

you can get by without buying a new throttle cable if you just fabricate a mount for the cable using a steel bar or something like that. It doesn't look the best but it works just fine.
just do a visual inspection of the timing belt and other things because you can probably get by without replacing them right away. I will probably replace mine next summer just to be safe, but it helped ease the pain on the pocket book by not doing it right away.

good luck

Back