In Effin Sane

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jawdropr

Banned
i need a new motor because i just bought my car and the head gasket went....yay....reason for a new motor.....i want to put a motor in. i want a motor that is can easily handle a trubo and run in the 12s or 13s :D i need to know what kinda motor i should get as of now then the turbo later i have a 1993 honda civic hatch

b18b - Broad power band, doesnt have to be kept at 8000 to feel the kick from vtec, DOHC, 140 base hp, great torque, and great for turbo, there's plenty of advatanges. and it matches you cars OBD (atleast a 94 and 95) so it'll be a simply swap. just get the B-series mount kit and shift linkage from hasport.

Originally posted by jawdropr@Mar 31 2003, 01:27 AM
whats so good about the b18b

It is cheaper to boost than the B16 or 18C,other than that the GSR ownz it.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Mar 30 2003, 07:42 PM-->
@Mar 31 2003, 01:27 AM
whats so good about the b18b

It is cheaper to boost than the B16 or 18C,other than that the GSR ownz it.

umm... no

the c1 lacks ALL lowe end power with peak torque at like 5-6000 rpm. PLUS the b18b has a slightly larger displacement. Not to mention its way cheaper than a C1, the LS tranny is better for boost (imo cause of longer gears) etc etc.

Originally posted by 98integrals Posted on Mar 31 2003@ 01:47 AM
umm... no

the c1 lacks ALL lowe end power with peak torque at like 5-6000 rpm. PLUS the b18b has a slightly larger displacement. Not to mention its way cheaper than a C1, the LS tranny is better for boost (imo cause of longer gears) etc etc.

Yea ok chief.I guess that is why they put them in the higher performance models,but hey,what do they know hahahaha.

Originally posted by ByTheMoment13@Mar 30 2003, 07:32 PM
b18b - Broad power band, doesnt have to be kept at 8000 to feel the kick from vtec

b18b doesn't have vtec...and yes it has better low end torque but who really cares about low end torque if your gonna boost?

B18c's own! B18b has NO VTEC. you can put a B16 head on it, which might be a way to go but i beleive the internals on the 18C's are stronger. the 18C's are standard on Type R's. The 18B is from the integra LS.

rixXxceboy Posted on Mar 31 2003, 07:41 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B18c's own! B18b has NO VTEC. you can put a B16 head on it, which might be a way to go but i beleive the internals on the 18C's are stronger. the 18C's are standard on Type R's. The 18B is from the integra LS.

there are more differences btween the c1 and c5, like pistons and their heads are completely different. however the differences between the c and b motors are even more drastic, the b has shorter conrods and lower comp, the c1 and c5 both have oil squirters and built in crank girdles for high rpm stability, but the b motor has a litlle higher displacement. a b18b with a b16 head is called "the poor mans type-r", but really it isn't, the gsr blocks and type-r blocks are built more for n/a tune ability. and i'm gonna leave it at that cause i don't wanna start a vtec war.

Yeah, there's no need to start a vtec vs non vtec war right now... (plus im not even the right guy to do it) I just wanna say that my roommate has a LS (B18B) and he is NOT boosting and he runs with type R's and kills GSR's w/ bolt ons. The reason is the broad powerband and the torque. I'm sure I'm not bringing up new points but I'll just state for the record that GSR's have only 1 more lb ft of torque at a 1000 rpm higher, as well as only having about 3 tenths of a second in the quarter mile on the LS and the LS has one more shift than the GSR at that speed.

That said there are obvious advantages of vtec to take advantage of small displacement, however, cams and such for a vtec motor cost approxamatly twice what they do for a non vtec motor. Furthermore, the engine itself is cheaper (by a whole lot) and with the money you save you can actually put bolt ons (I/H/E) and cams in the motor (I recommend crower 403's) and have basically the same setup as my room mate (Although he is now doing a clutch and flywheel as well as possibly a final drive) He ran a 15.6 on his setup BEFORE tuning the cams and S-AFC (he was off a tooth on the crank retarding timing 10 DEGREES), before exhaust and before header. He has yet to go to the track with his current set up, or retune on the dyno after adding some other mods, but you get the idea.

The downside? To run much faster than currently (somewhere in the mid to high 14's) he is looking at resleeving the block and boring it to 2.1L, which involves new rods, pistons, etc. $$$ He hasn't yet decided if he's going to do it. I guess what I'm saying is, budgetwise the LS makes alot of sense, especially when you can pick up the long block for like 800 bucks :D :D or the full motor w/ tranny for about half the cost of the B18C1. The B18C5 of course has its own advantages that place it far above the B18C1 but we'll leave those for someone else to answer (or till later at least, I'm tired of typing ;)

Dan

I'm Dan91T's roommate. If I were to boost a motor, I'd go LS hands down. With an unlimited budget maybe the GS-R would make a little bit more power, but in the real world with real money, the LS wins big time. You can pick up a great LS full swap with tranny for a grand, the cheaper B18C1's are $3k and C5's are $4.5k.... And then if you blow the motor boosting, you pay that premium again. Basically everything for the GS-R is more expensive - trannies, used parts, cams, etc. And if you break stuff, even more money down the hole. The LS makes comparable, if not more power boosted than a GS-R - why would you spend an extra couple thousand for some gain over the LS that may or may not be realized?

If you wanna talk all motor, it's all about what you want to do with the motor. Drag? GS-R simply because it has great high-end, which is all you really use in drag. Daily driver and autocross? These are both what I want from my car, and in that respect for the money, honestly it beats the shit outta the GS-R. I have spent about $2k on my motor, but the price differential between an LS and GS-R swap is at least that much. I can beat my friend's GS-R with i/h/c/e until 3rd gear (LS 3rd sucks balls) over and over again. I have about 125-130wtq at only 4300rpm, a stock GS-R will only have about 105-108 at 6000rpm, even with i/h/e it will end up with probably 112-118wtq at a similar, if not higher, rpm. My friend's GS-R has slightly better top end than mine but loses until 60mph because of my full powerband. And don't even talk about autocross - his midrange feels gutless compared to mine, mine would obliterate his car on the autocross circuit. I'm not saying my LS is flat-out better than a GS-R, but for certain applications there are advantages, especially when the cash is considered.... All depends on what you wanna do, and of course "how fast you wanna spend".

i think another thing to consider though, especially with autocross is the transmission. a tranny can keep you in boost and on vtec. and no matter what, the gsr or the b16 tranny will do that better because of the closer gearing.

If you want turbo... B20. Sleeved. PnP the head. GSR tranny w/ Quaife and go to fucking town.

and just for fun.. THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT :fuckyou2: :ufucktard:

Back