Is Vtec Over Rated?

Is Vtec over rated or not??

• Nah, man I'm sticking with my d15 yo&#

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Apr 3 2003, 03:39 AM
Over the turbo's spooling and blowing noises, you can no longer HEAR VTEC unless you count the tires being blown off in the first three gears when the car finally hits VTEC from a roll.

I hear it all the time... but that's only on the dyno. I haven't played much in one on the street. You can definitely hear the VTEC crossover under boost.

from a media standpoint i.e. magazines, ricers, honda nazi porpaganda, then yes it's WAY over rated, but swapping out a set of cams seems to ALMOST live up to the great mythological beast that is vtec.

From an engineering standpoint it's a beautifully designed system(given there are much more efficient systems around nowadays). For what it was designed for, vtec is a nitto little gadget, especially when you do something stupid and need a miracle to get out of that semi's war path; and when used properly on the streets, there is no denying it's performance potential.

I just think most people on this forum who have learned about it get kind of disenchanted once they learn how simple the mechanics of vtec are, I guess it takes the mojo out of the myth. But since I'm such a geeky motor head and mech. engineering major, I think it's nifty.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Apr 3 2003, 09:45 AM
until he did a riceboy flyby at 100 mph long after I shut it down.

Can someone explain to me the point of doing a riceboy flyby?

I still dont understand why people do riceboy flybys.

YOU GOT BEAT. just because you can drive by at 100mph
DOES NOT MAKE YOU COOL.

sore loosers.

Actually Luvtec, this thread isn't really about an actual D15.... I was just using that as an example for a non-vtec motor. This poll is just straight up- NON-Vtec.....or Vtec. I think they do the riceboy flyby so that their ass doesn't have to sit at the next light with you laughing in their face!

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Apr 2 2003, 10:41 PM
the only reason why VTEC is popular is because Honda was one of the first companies to use it in their economy cars.. EVERY company has their own version of VTEC.. they have similar ideas but different ways to phase cams and timing depending on many variables.. i.e. Toyota has VVTL-i, BMW has VANOS, Dogde i think has Ecotec or someshit, anyhow you get the point.. so YA ITS OVER RATED~! (note*: vtec or anything similar is better than "nonvtec" cars.)

in NA cars yeah. but compare them to turbo cars, no. especially the 300zx, skyline, and porsche turbo.

There was no light for another few miles down the road. It was probably so he could say to his girl "See, I eventually beat him, even though we quit the race a few seconds ago!!"

It is a technological marvel. The wonderful thing about the Honda VTEC is that it was the first system like it to be available to the public. Personally, I think it has a leg up on the BMW system (which is sweet, don't get me wrong) because there are a lot more moving parts and steps being taken in the continually variable system, and therefore, more possibility for something to go wrong. Not to mention that Beemers are more expensive to service and get parts for in the first place.

all i can say is i not liking the engine in my car, once my dad allows me to sell the boat i will have some money for the engine
:worthy: < VTEC yO!

VTEC is cool and all but i wouldnt say its the shyt. it helps the performance, but so would boost, or some throttle in a bottle ;)

i guess because i'm an all motor junkie, i love vtec

VTEC is to give a normally slow car something extra. It's a compromise, fuel efficiency with performance. Note that in high horsepower applications VTEC is crossed at a much lower point (half way or less) through the RPM band. This is to use the so called "high performance" cam profile earlier, but to still let the engine run more desireably in the low RPM range. And there is a reason that the engine doesn't just run on the "Vtec" cam all the time, the engine physically runs less desirably due to the fact that VTEC was specifically designed for high RPMS. And there are lots of other factors that I don't neccessary want to explain, or that I plan have no idea about. But thats the jist of it.

so what if i get a vtec controller, and set it to come on around 3500 rpms in a b16?

would that be a advantage or disadvantage?

That'd be a bad idea. As liquidmeth said, the cams were designed to make power up high. I hooked up my old SOHC VTEC ECU to my H22 (VTEC at 2800 rpm), and the engine bogged horribly from 2800 to around 4500.

If you've ever heard an ordinary engine with a race or high performance cams its sound great when revved, but almost dies at idle, it sputters. Thats why VTEC sucks at low RPM. The same is true for ordinary dialy driver cams, they work well a low and mid RPM's, but make no power at higher RPM's.

VTEC gives you the best of both worlds B)

That's not quite true. A racecar will still make plenty of power down low, it just sucks at idle. Running on the VTEC lobes at 3000 rpm will actually hurt your performance. It has to do with the extra fuel that's being injected along with the variable timing that go along with VTEC.

I see your point.

I should've said thats why VTEC would suck at idle, therefore you need another cam profile for idle and very low (100's RPM).

race cars rarely idle so its not such a problem with them, a daily driver spends alot of time idling in traffic.

Peace

Back