Lightened Flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vtecjdm

I got a JDM D15B and since i`m doin a clutch job i was wondering if i`d also upgrade the flywheel.
I dont know what to do actually cause i got many opinions ..
Will an oem clutch work equally well with a light flywheel ?

I`d like to hear from you the advantages and disadvantages of a light flywheel.
Makes, differences ??

Keep it up...

Pro
Rev's faster...

Con
for me... i got the kaiten 9.7lb adn an exedy stage 1. from what i was told you cant run a super light weight flywheel with basically a stock clutch... no mine slips in 1st and 2nd...

pros:
faster revs
less roational mass
more power to the wheels

cons:
less low end torque
a bitch in traffic... its easy to rev to 4k with a simple blip, so you try to be easy on it, and then you stall.... lol

if you're going in there to do a clutch, IMO, you're better off with a better clutch/stock fly than an oem cluch and lighter fly.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 5 2005, 04:47 PM
pros:
faster revs
less roational mass
more power to the wheels

cons:
less low end torque
a bitch in traffic... its easy to rev to 4k with a simple blip, so you try to be easy on it, and then you stall.... lol

if you're going in there to do a clutch, IMO, you're better off with a better clutch/stock fly than an oem cluch and lighter fly.
[post=508212]Quoted post[/post]​

What if he goes performance clutch like Exedy or something and then a stock fly wheel...

Well, indeed didn`t keep it mind that less weight on the wheel and i will have to keep higher revs ... mine`s a daily ride so .. at this point at least i think i`ll just make everything oem ...

Can anyone tell me what exactly is the thing about resurfacing the flywheel ? Everyone says it but no one describes what is done exactly

Originally posted by vtecjdm@Jun 5 2005, 06:30 PM
Can anyone tell me what exactly is the thing about resurfacing the flywheel ? Everyone says it but no one describes what is done exactly
[post=508230]Quoted post[/post]​

It is very similar to turning a rotor or drum. It takes out the imperfections that the old clutch left behind. Any machine shop will probally be able to do it for you

As for your orginal question, it depends on how light you go. I have a basicly stock clutch (exedy stage one organic disc) with a 12lb act Street light flywheel. I love it. Makes down shifting more fun and is still extremely streetable. It is so streetable, I wish I would have gone with the act Prolite or whatever there lighter version is. It takes getting used to, but its really not hard to drive at all.

I had a ProLite in the FoDo and in the Prelude, both with an Exedy stage 2, and a ProLite in the EF hatch with a Clutchmasters stage 3. No problems whatsoever. Granted, it took me a week or so to get used to it, but once I did it was AWESOME. Feels weird going back to a heavy-ass stock flywheel after that...

Sorry to thread-jack, but this is all stuff I need to know as well. It is a pertinent question to the topic.

Is it worth lightening a stock flywheel? I heard of it being done, but wonder if it is safe.
Also, do all stock flywheels wiegh the same?

I wouldn`t like lightening the stock flywheel ... it just sounds .. umm .. not so safe.

Damn a flywheel is so expensive though for such small performance gains (on a bolt on stock engine that is) ... i`ve heared of fidanza etc.. what u recomend for a d15b ? nearly stock motor here for now.

Is a lightweight flywheel worth it on a stock motor at the end of the day ?

Also .. will a lightened flywheel make more stress on the gearbox orrr clutch ?

Back