Lightening a Car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YangpaNemsay

Can someone please help me by listing things i can strip from a 2nd gen integ to make the chassis lighter, eg. Rear Seats, Side Panels, etc.

underneath your carpet and padding in your car there is a layer of rubber used for sound dampning. I saw an article where they removed this and cut like 15lbs or so. You could get rid of your AC, that unit wieghts like 20+lbs if I remember right. Other then that they make wheels that are lighter, like the 11 lb Rotas ALLJDM is selling vs my 15lb stock wheels (16 lbs over all). Carbon fiber hood would save weight to. There's as many ways to save weight as you can think of.

Drink water and eat nothing for days and days before you race. By losing weight, you will cut the weight of you + the car. :) You don't have a killer sound system in, right? You can also remove all the interior body panels like what Pills did last time he was at the track. Also make sure that you have just enough gas in the car to accomplish what you want, like 2 runs on the track... Pills again is notorious for this... How much does gas weigh per gallon Adam? (something like 22 pounds per gallon)

Is this a driver or track car only. if it's track only get rid of the side glass, window regulators and and window motors (if electric) also anything associated with heating or cooling the interior of the car A/C, heater box ducting for the vents etc. If it's not a track car then I wouldn't change much you might as well leave confortable if you have to drive it every day

if u dont mind the risk of being stranded with a blownout tire, or a tire that has a huge hole or sidewall gash, you can remove the spare tire, jack and lugwrench, and just keep a can of fix-a-flat in its place. that will save you at least 30lbs., even more if u have a full-size spare tire. i tried this on my crx and the car did feel quicker.

get a carbon fiber body, doors, hood, everything carbon fiber

Originally posted by paragus@Jan 3 2003, 08:52 AM

hopefully you have a good cf wallet. The prices on some of that stuff is enough to kill you. The fenders are like 800 and even more for the doors.

If you dont care about the radio too much, take that out, speakers, wire harnesses everything that goes to it. I read about this one guy (lives here in Michigan) that has a sol that he has done so much stuff to, to get it light as possible. About 6 months ago he had the thing down to under 2000 lbs. He said that none of the orginal steel (minus frame) was intacted without some kind of shaving or cutting done to it until he felt "happy" with the weight.

EDIT* another thing i forgot is if your car does not have airbags, buy a lightweight steering wheel from MOMO of somewhere like that. Also replace the drivers seat with a lightweight racing seat. If you dont really car about how long between fillups, you can buy a fuel cell and remove the orginal gas tank. (fuel cell is like a small gas tank that can be placed in the trunk. normally about 4 gallons where not talking about 4 cells as in hydrogen power and you get 937098370987 mpg diffrent thing.)

One guy who always has his car sitting at Intercrew took his Prelude (previous gen, not the last one) down to 2150 lbs with him in it, and that's with a full turbo setup and no missing sheet metal.

yeah the sol that i was talking about had a turbo set up but it was on a d16z6.

Ah. This was a full blown 92-96 (I think those were the years) Prelude with H22 and a full turbo setup, stock window glass, stock sheet metal... all this and only weighed 2150 with the driver. Of course, there's NO interior except for one seat and a dash made up of all Autometer Ultralite (is that the product line?) gauges and thin MDF secured with custom brackets...

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jan 3 2003, 07:22 AM-->
@Jan 3 2003, 08:52 AM

hopefully you have a good cf wallet. The prices on some of that stuff is enough to kill you. The fenders are like 800 and even more for the doors.

If you dont care about the radio too much, take that out, speakers, wire harnesses everything that goes to it. I read about this one guy (lives here in Michigan) that has a sol that he has done so much stuff to, to get it light as possible. About 6 months ago he had the thing down to under 2000 lbs. He said that none of the orginal steel (minus frame) was intacted without some kind of shaving or cutting done to it until he felt "happy" with the weight.

EDIT* another thing i forgot is if your car does not have airbags, buy a lightweight steering wheel from MOMO of somewhere like that. Also replace the drivers seat with a lightweight racing seat. If you dont really car about how long between fillups, you can buy a fuel cell and remove the orginal gas tank. (fuel cell is like a small gas tank that can be placed in the trunk. normally about 4 gallons where not talking about 4 cells as in hydrogen power and you get 937098370987 mpg diffrent thing.)

i was just being an ass when i said that..

Back