LMAs bad?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

whiteLS

The other day my buddy ran his gsr very low on oil :blink: (its been burning a little). We filled it back up with oil and now it makes a loud ticking noise after about 1200 rpm. it sorta sounds like the noise is coming from the head and its not as loud as other rod knock ive herd. I'm afraid he messed up a rod bearing, but before I tear it apart to put in new bearings and rings i was wondering if possibly an LMA is bad(i kinda relate them to lifters. maybe it collapsed). the manual says to depress them by hand, they should depress fairly easialy. other than that i found no information.

any insight would be great
Dan

Just follow what the manual says. You should be able to press it down all the way smoothly- no grinding or scratching feeling- and it should NOT stick at all when you remove your finger. Just flip the cam followers up and push down on it with your finger- you'll be able to tell if it's "sticky" or not. If some do stick- some people have successfully rejuvenated them by removing them and soaking then in a tub of motor oil for a day.

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47985

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 5 2005, 03:48 AM
Just follow what the manual says. You should be able to press it down all the way smoothly- no grinding or scratching feeling- and it should NOT stick at all when you remove your finger. Just flip the cam followers up and push down on it with your finger- you'll be able to tell if it's "sticky" or not. If some do stick- some people have successfully rejuvenated them by removing them and soaking then in a tub of motor oil for a day.

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47985
[post=520627]Quoted post[/post]​

my question is how hard do you press down on them? They are springs so the harder your press the more force you have to use. And also when your releasing the pressure that is applied do you release it quickly as if they were to snap back?

They will have some pressure of course, but not that you won't be able to move them. The springs aren't hard, they are there to keep the rockers from freely moving.

Originally posted by n1mr0d+Jul 5 2005, 06:30 AM-->
my question is how hard do you press down on them? They are springs so the harder your press the more force you have to use. And also when your releasing the pressure that is applied do you release it quickly as if they were to snap back?
[post=520648]Quoted post[/post]​

Just push however hard you need to make the plunger push down slowly- if they're going to feel like they're grinding, it won't matter how fast you push them down- you'll feel it. When you release, just lift your finger fast- if the plunger doesn't come up with your finger, you'll be able to tell.

92b16vx
@Jul 5 2005, 06:36 AM
They will have some pressure of course, but not that you won't be able to move them. The springs aren't hard, they are there to keep the rockers from freely moving.
[post=520649]Quoted post[/post]​

:)

Originally posted by Calesta+Jul 6 2005, 09:54 PM-->
Originally posted by n1mr0d@Jul 5 2005, 06:30 AM
my question is how hard do you press down on them?  They are springs so the harder your press the more force you have to use.  And also when your releasing the pressure that is applied do you release it quickly as if they were to snap back?
[post=520648]Quoted post[/post]​

Just push however hard you need to make the plunger push down slowly- if they're going to feel like they're grinding, it won't matter how fast you push them down- you'll feel it. When you release, just lift your finger fast- if the plunger doesn't come up with your finger, you'll be able to tell.

92b16vx
@Jul 5 2005, 06:36 AM
[post=520649]Quoted post[/post]​

:)
[post=521872]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok, so from your description I think that some of my LMA's are bad. Have you ever replaced yours with the 97-01 Prelude with a .040 shim as described in this honda-tech thread?

Low Cost LMA's

I've read it and many have done it with success, I just have reservations about it because they are just springs and not cylinders that snuggly fit into the required spot.

Hmm. I replaced all of mine with ITR LMAs. I don't like the idea of shimming Prelude LMAs unless you can get shims that are truly the correct thickness.

Back