Ls-vtec? Which Head?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CEEJAY

ok i have a ls motor with a built block (all internals are brand new). i want to go ls-vtec. i want to build ls-vtec using oem honda parts. basically all type r internals in the head. now, i can come across a 1st gen b16 head pretty cheap, and throw all type r internals in there or i can get a hold of a b17 head (old school gsr) and do the same. now i hear people say a b18c1 head has the best head flow but i dont want to hassle of finding one nor do i want to pay the arm and the leg that it costs. is there a big difference from from the b16 and b17 head? if the both heads consist of the same internals on a ls block, which would be faster, reliable, better? thank for your help

for this, usually the best is ITR, but why hassle on the ITR, go with the B18C1. my friend's LSVTEC is powered by B18C1 JG head with JUN specs, run pretty good, but beware not to rev it to high, it might blow.

not being a dick but i asked on information about the b16 and b17 head. i know the newer gsr head is better. i just cant afford it right now. between the B16 and the B17 which is better?

i believe they are very similar , either one is fine. later when you have some money you can throw some type r parts in the head. good luck. oh yeah vicious why dont you explain why the gsr head is so much better?do you even know? or are you just going on what your buddy says.

see right now my ls is strong as hell. i have no problems with it. but, more power is better and i dont like forced induction. i figure with a b16 head and all jdm type r internals in the head, i'd be fine. id also gain some really good power at that.

vtecsir-----> why bother buying the whole B18C5 head? all you need is just the head components, still the B18C5 bare head has the same specs as the B18C1.....B18C5 intake manifold makes power, but why bother when skunk makes it for B18C1 too? same for exhaust manifold. you can still put aftermarket internals and have a higher compression ratio than the C5. bet you i can burn any B18C5 tuned to my specs.

i never said buy a type r head, i said get the b16 or b17 and put r parts in it. you cant even bolt a r manifold on a gsr head.

i was just informed that b16 and b17 heads are the same shit. only difference is the internals. of corse the b17 has better internals but, im gonna ditch them anyways. so here we come B16 head with type r internals. im hoping to hit mid to low 13's in a 90 civic sedan. my buddy has a stock itr swap in a 4 door like mine and hits 13.6 on the regular. so i dont think im dreaming big. i already ran a 14.57 with my ls with a freshly built block.

sup guys! If I were you (CEEYA) i would go for a b16a2 head. The b16sir1 and b17 are both obd0, if you want to run obd0 then it's okay, but i recommend obd1. I used to have a b16a2(99-00 si) complete head from distributor to intake maniford and i sold it for $375.00. By the way, the two vtec heads that you mention, the b17 is better. If you like, my friend have a 94+ gsr complete head, I think he is selling for $500; but if you like, i can ask him to make it $400....

aight later..

not trying to ssay that the ITR manifold bolts on, what if he wants one? might as well get a skunk2 for the same price. you just don't know where people are coming from vtecsir.

In flow etc the b16 sir 2 head I believe flows closest to the ITR head. Thats what I have read before.

ITR head is a B16 head with upgraded valve train and a mild port job, its not a gsr head.

Id say get a bare b16 head and build it up, for the 1200-1500 price of the ITR head, you can get a b16 head (~400-450) And build it up nicely for the same price, and using parts better than honda oem!

Originally posted by viciousracing@Mar 26 2003, 10:17 AM
vtecsir-----> why bother buying the whole B18C5 head? all you need is just the head components, still the B18C5 bare head has the same specs as the B18C1.....B18C5 intake manifold makes power, but why bother when skunk makes it for B18C1 too? same for exhaust manifold. you can still put aftermarket internals and have a higher compression ratio than the C5. bet you i can burn any B18C5 tuned to my specs.

This is :bs: The ITR head and the GSR head are different castings, the intake manifolds do not swap. Check your "facts" please.

Get which ever head you can for less money. The ITR valve train will fit either.

Originally posted by lsvtec+Mar 27 2003, 12:31 PM-->
viciousracing
@Mar 26 2003, 10:17 AM
vtecsir-----> why bother buying the whole  B18C5 head? all you need is just the head components, still the B18C5 bare head has the same specs as the B18C1.....B18C5 intake manifold makes power, but why bother when skunk makes it for B18C1 too? same for exhaust manifold. you can still put aftermarket internals and have a higher compression ratio than the C5. bet you i can burn any B18C5 tuned to my specs.

This is :bs: The ITR head and the GSR head are different castings, the intake manifolds do not swap. Check your "facts" please.

Get which ever head you can for less money. The ITR valve train will fit either.

:werd: i was going to say something also. please do not post unless you know what you're talking about.

EDIT:
and to answer the original question, the b16 and b17 heads are identical as mentioned above. the ITR head is the same thing (just with a mild port and polish on the intake side of the head). i hear the b16/b17 heads flow better, but with a gsr head (b18c1) you get a slightly higher compression ratio (the combustion chamber is slightly smaller). that is really the only benifit of the b18c1 head over the others.

I always heard that the B16 head will flow better than any other. Which is why so many decide on the B16 for their LSVTEC's and CRVTEC's. But if you guys say B16 and B17 are the same, I'd say get the cheaper one.

The B16 flows slightly better than the GSR head. Not really enough to make a big deal about. Get what ever hed you can find for the least amount of money that is still in good shape.

Back