Ls Vtec ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

88crxdx

:D hi all i got a hook up here in sd for my engine and finaly know what i want. first i wanted a ls motor complete swap that i can get everything instaled for 2'500, but then he told me why dont you just go ls vtec for 500 bucks more. so i agreed and im going to do it. is that a good deal for $3000 for everything instaled in one day? also what is the setup for an ls vtec because he just told me it will hall ass in my little crx, plus its a dx so i think with all the wiring and shit its ok for 3gs. please answer my ?"s and regaurdless im going to do it i just want to know what you guys think, also let me know whats the steup for the ls vtec. thanks for any replies.

Good price, but the setup varies- it's a custom engine build no matter what. There's no set formula for it. At that price though, you're probably looking at just a B16 head on a B18 block with no internal modifications other than what's needed to get VTEC working.

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 3 2003, 12:31 PM
Good price, but the setup varies- it's a custom engine build no matter what. There's no set formula for it. At that price though, you're probably looking at just a B16 head on a B18 block with no internal modifications other than what's needed to get VTEC working.

so i will have the torque from the ls and the vtec boost from the b16 head right? so at least you think thats a good price.

Originally posted by 88crxdx+Apr 3 2003, 11:43 AM-->
@Apr 3 2003, 12:31 PM
Good price, but the setup varies- it's a custom engine build no matter what.  There's no set formula for it.  At that price though, you're probably looking at just a B16 head on a B18 block with no internal modifications other than what's needed to get VTEC working.

so i will have the torque from the ls and the vtec boost from the b16 head right? so at least you think thats a good price.

Theoretically, yes... if it's built correctly. The engine could be a total dog too. You never know when you're dealing with a custom build.

some people told me that an lsvtec is very good for the first few months but after it will start creating problems and it will rev to 7000 rpm like an ls motor. a good build b series motor will do just fine and with out problems. but if im wrong feel free to responce :rolleyes:

Originally posted by EF9Cmonkiee@Apr 3 2003, 10:08 PM
some people told me that an lsvtec is very good for the first few months but after it will start creating problems and it will rev to 7000 rpm like an ls motor. a good build b series motor will do just fine and with out problems. but if im wrong feel free to responce :rolleyes:

That's the problem... someone told you, and someone told him, etc... read up in the forum from people who actually OWN their own B20/VTECs and LS/VTECs and have them built correctly to see just how reliable they are.

Originally posted by luVTEC@Apr 3 2003, 05:21 PM
VTEC is not boost <_<

If they build it properly then it will hual ass B)

i dont mean boost like a turbo

$3000 is a pretty good price for the build, but that sounds like it is going to be stock LS internals. This can lead to problems (notice I said can, not will). I have seen this build have problems with the intake valves hitting the pistons (not hard enough to lill the engine on the first shot, but it has the potential to become a problem). The remedy is to run B16 pistons. Their intake valve reliefs are large enough to accomodate the VTEC intake valves. Your other potential problem spot is rod bolts. The LS rods are plenty strong to take 8000 RPM, but some people claim the rod bolts are not. Personally I have never seen a problem with them, however, ARP rod bolts are $55. That is pretty cheap for a little extra insurance.

i would ask the guy if he is putting any internals in it to handle higher revs if he says no then buy some rods and pistons and anything else that calesta recommends(hes got expereince from what i hear) and either have the guy put those in too or do it yourself and if he messes up the swap then i would make him do it again or ..you know , do what you gotta do good luck bro

Back