Lsd Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Marc-OS

Ok, so, I went to a local shop and bought a b16 with LSD tranny for my CRX, at least that's what I thought I did. When I brought the engine/tranny home, I was lookin' at the tranny, and I just got this feeling that it's not an LSD tranny. So I need to know if the tranny has LSD or not. The sticker on the tranny says it's an S1, but I don't know if that had an optional LSD or not. How do I tell if my tranny has a LSD or not?

i don't know whether or not that model came with lsd or not but really the only way to tell is to take apart the tranny or i've also heard that you can just pull out both axles and if you can see straight through it (the tranny)you have lsd. if you see a bar going accross the axle hole then you don't have lsd. old ways to tell on rear wheel drive cars are if you have the tranny in neutral and spin the tires, if they both turn the same way you have lsd, if they spin oppisite then you don't . i don't know if this works on fwd's with lsd or not? hope this helps. B)

Looks like there's a bar in the axle hole that goes straight into the tranny. So, I guess I should go and return the tranny.

Originally posted by Marc-OS@Feb 12 2003, 08:11 PM
Could you guys tell me which trannys have LSD and what code they have (ex. S1, Y1, etc)???

The codes don't really mean anything- they're just indicators for what chassis the transmission was meant to be mounted in. The only way to tell for sure by the "tranny code" is to find one marked for a body style that only came with an LSD transmission. Integras were available both with and without LSD, so were Civics, so you can't go by just the chassis code. You might look for an indented "LSD" stamped on the transmission housing close to the chassis code label- also perform the see-through check described above. One way to tell if the transmission is still in the car is to jack up the front end and spin one wheel- if the other wheel goes in the same direction (both forward or both backward), then you have an OEM LSD.

I know for sure that the "YS1" (its stamped on the block or a sticker) is the factory LSD tranny i know that the S1 and Y1 are just regular tranny's with out lsd but i dont know how it works withe the lsd option on those but i think when u get the lsd option u get the YS1..

Originally posted by D16z6CrxDx@Feb 15 2003, 01:49 AM
I know for sure that the "YS1" (its stamped on the block or a sticker) is the factory LSD tranny i know that the S1 and Y1 are just regular tranny's with out lsd but i dont know how it works withe the lsd option on those but i think when u get the lsd option u get the YS1..

My information is showing the "YS1" as the designation for the 92-93 Integra chassis... and that included the LS, which did not come with an LSD. A Transmission stamped with YS1 that had the LSD in it would have been from an Integra RSi/XSi.

for jdm tranny's b16a 92-95 y21 is none lsd & s21 is lsd. b18c sirg y80 is none lsd & s80 is lsd.

I have an LSD cable in my car and it is a Y1, also it has a stamp on the top of the bell housing with the letters ( LSD ). The individual was correct with the info looking through the axle holes....bar=non/lsd....no bar=LSD.

Back