My new EF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

no leaks though.... and the smoke out the exhaust? it smells like burning antifreeze

also, i found a y7 bottom end for $40 that just needs bearings im probably gonna pick up tomorrow, im selling a body lift i have left over from my old truck tonight, what brand of bearings is best or will o'reilly ones be good enough? im thinking of doing a vitara build on this one...

woo hoo! i think im gettin a pretty good deal, header and a greddy cat-back and some racing harnesses for $200? sound like a good deal?

got all those parts for $160 because the muffler was rusted out, i put it on and the muffler sounded horrible so i cut it off and had my old one put on, it sounds deeper and a little quieter, i put the harnesses in and gutted the rear of the car, now im taking a strut bar from a jetta and modifying the mounts to put in the rear, oh and its safety orange! :D

If ya had it tore down enough to replace head gasket and intake gasket then the thremostat is basically part of the job as would be a water pump if you hadn't already replaced that.

What I'm saying is it had overheating issues, so when doing the head gasket it's not any more work essentially to replace thermostat and eliminate that from the potential problem equation.

Never short stroke work like that. Cuz if the thermostat was hosed up, you spent a lot of time on maintenance and could still waste the engine. When I did the head on mine, I replaced the temp sensors, fan switch, water pump, timing belt, thermostat, and all the hoses with the exception of fuel as I did them about two years ago when replacing fuel filter.

Not lecturing you here my younger brother - trying to help. Geezus Kriste, I'm 40 years older than you are hoss!!!

:cool:

Last edited:
well i originally thought it was the water pump, so i took it all apart and it looked fine (still replaced it though) so i went ahead and did the head gasket, intake manifold gasket, and timing belt, i would have liked to do everything at once but i dont have that kinda money, all that took almost my whole paycheck that week. i really do appreciate the advice.

got the strut bar and header on, had to change out my fan for the 02 sensor to clear though, glad i have 4 laying around lol, sorry about the crappy droid pics

2010-07-28004617.jpg

2010-07-28004602.jpg

and yes my rear interior is gutted now, it doesnt really bother me thoughm it didnt really make it THAT much louder...

that sucks man...nice ef tho...big fan of ef's...i got 2 myself and both are si hatches...when they break down fix the problem and dont mickey mouse it...at least it will be one problem out of the way...goodluck...

what sucks? lol its running fine now, besides the mild exhaust leak that will be fixed tomorrow, and im debating on building a d16y5 on spray or swapping an ls then doing an ls/vtec down the road

updates! well, one update, just posting other stuff ive forgot to mention lol, i got rid of the yonakas because it hurt my back to climb in and out of them so i got ek seats and $100 for them, the ek seats are in great shape and i think they're pretty comfortable, i also got a front lip today! off a Mazda 929, it pretty much lined up, i just had to cut it in the center since its a 2 piece about 1/2" to fit right, then trim the back parts because they stuck out into the wheel well a little and didnt match the lines of the bumper. i love the look of the lip on there, i just gotta take it off sometime and spray it to match the bumpers

CIMG1115.jpg

CIMG1118.jpg

my buddies hardbody
CIMG1120.jpg

CIMG1121.jpg

CIMG1123.jpg

current bay pic w/ ghey intake
CIMG1112.jpg

ek seats
CIMG1113.jpg

put my old eg seats in the hardbody in place of the bench, turned out alright
CIMG1124.jpg

well i'll just keep updating this just in case anybody may be looking at it.. since it seems like nobody is lol, today i got a Mugen (knock-off) shift boot, it was a PAIN to install, bent the crap out of my metal frame that it mounts on, had to soak it in hot water to get it to stretch and use zip-ties to hold it on all the way, but i think it looks decent how it turned out, and you cant beat it for the price... FREE! ill get a pic tomorrow, it was too dark by the time i had it put in, then no more updates for about a week :( ill be in vegas for my bro's wedding

thanks! i found a head for it that i am trading my harnesses for once i get back home from vegas

doesnt look like the boot fits very well at all... sometimes you just gotta pass up the free shit...

oh and clean that carpet up!!!

it fits decent, i had to stretch it a lot to fit it on the metal piece, and my carpet is pretty dirty lol, it does that in like 1 day. and yeah the mechanic that did the transmission fixed it for me

a couple updates, putting a new head on it since i broke the valve cover bolt in the other one, the head is getting hot tanked and checked and i should have it tomorrow

this is becoming a common sight
2010-08-11222232.jpg

purple valve cover!
2010-08-11204342.jpg

painted the back section of my exhaust flat black, i hate taking care of chrome!
2010-08-11222510.jpg

Back