Navigation System to Play DVD's?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
ok, I have an 06 Mazda 5 with the DVD Based Navigation. My friend was telling me that they have something (he called it a module) that hooks up to the dvd navi unit so I can play regular dvd's. Is there any truth to this? Can I even get my Navi system to play dvd's? Me and my family go away a lot on the weekends so I need something to entertain them, especially my son. If it comes down to it, I will eventually get a flip down but if I can get away with using the navi unit to play dvd's then so be it :mrgreen:

Quoted post[/post]]
ok, I have an 06 Mazda 5 with the DVD Based Navigation. My friend was telling me that they have something (he called it a module) that hooks up to the dvd navi unit so I can play regular dvd's. Is there any truth to this? Can I even get my Navi system to play dvd's? Me and my family go away a lot on the weekends so I need something to entertain them, especially my son. If it comes down to it, I will eventually get a flip down but if I can get away with using the navi unit to play dvd's then so be it :mrgreen:

as far as i could find there is nothing that will directly connect into the headunit to make it play dvds. there might be one that i dont know of and i will make a few phone calls tommorow to see what i can come up with.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

as far as i could find there is nothing that will directly connect into the headunit to make it play dvds. there might be one that i dont know of and i will make a few phone calls tommorow to see what i can come up with.
Well, the actual head unit for the Navigation is inside the glove box. It's seperate from the CD/Radio unit (i'm sure you knew that I was just making sure we were on the same page)

Yeah, see what you can find, Thanks :worthy:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Well, the actual head unit for the Navigation is inside the glove box. It's seperate from the CD/Radio unit (i'm sure you knew that I was just making sure we were on the same page)

Yeah, see what you can find, Thanks :worthy:

well i just got off the phone doing some research for your car and i found out some stuff. There is an intergration harness that is made to do that with your system. BUT it is pretty costly and i am not a fan of the way that it is installed. the units run about 350 to 450 dollars and to install them you have to physically cut the navigation harness and splice it into that harness! that is what i am not a fan of cuttin up the factory harness for nav to make it have video. if it where my car i would put a drop down in it and call it a day.

Either that, or some cars you can splice into the Screen, and mount a PS2 under the seat... THis is what my buddy did in his CL-s.

Quoted post[/post]]
well i just got off the phone doing some research for your car and i found out some stuff. There is an intergration harness that is made to do that with your system. BUT it is pretty costly and i am not a fan of the way that it is installed. the units run about 350 to 450 dollars and to install them you have to physically cut the navigation harness and splice it into that harness! that is what i am not a fan of cuttin up the factory harness for nav to make it have video. if it where my car i would put a drop down in it and call it a day.
Well, The reason I was trying to stay away from the flip down was because when I ordered this car, I tried to get it with the entertainment system for the rear but they told me that they (Mazda) haven't figured out what system to install that would be perfect fitment wise because I have a moon roof. But I think I will go with a flip down. Thanks

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Well, The reason I was trying to stay away from the flip down was because when I ordered this car, I tried to get it with the entertainment system for the rear but they told me that they (Mazda) haven't figured out what system to install that would be perfect fitment wise because I have a moon roof. But I think I will go with a flip down. Thanks

Even though you have a moonroof you can still install a flip down in it. If you bring it to any compitant car audio shop they will be able to find one that will fit and look good in there. i f you where in ct i would have done it for you in a heartbeat with no problems. sorry i didnt bring you better news, but if maybe you wait a couple monthes they will come out with a better intergration system for that car. the best forum to keep checking up on is called www.the12volt.com

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Even though you have a moonroof you can still install a flip down in it. If you bring it to any compitant car audio shop they will be able to find one that will fit and look good in there. i f you where in ct i would have done it for you in a heartbeat with no problems. sorry i didnt bring you better news, but if maybe you wait a couple monthes they will come out with a better intergration system for that car. the best forum to keep checking up on is called www.the12volt.com
cool, thanks... I'll check out that site in a bit.

It's hard to find a good shop. Either it's cheap and shitty or it's exspensive and half assed. I think it would be a safe bet to bring it to a Best Buy or something that way if I have a problem, I know they won't be gone.

do your researcg on the best buy you bring it to. i work there and let me tell you i spend 80% ofmy day fixing other stores hack jobs.

Quoted post[/post]]
do your researcg on the best buy you bring it to. i work there and let me tell you i spend 80% ofmy day fixing other stores hack jobs.
Well my friend told me he knows the guys of a local stereo shop out here and I saw the work they did in my friend's IS300 and it's very good. Any particular brand you like to stick with? I want to go Eclipse but i'm on a budget, I don't want to spend anymore than $600-$700

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Well my friend told me he knows the guys of a local stereo shop out here and I saw the work they did in my friend's IS300 and it's very good. Any particular brand you like to stick with? I want to go Eclipse but i'm on a budget, I don't want to spend anymore than $600-$700

all the new dei stuff is really nice and so is the sonia vision stuff. those are the ones i deal the most with and the ones in my opinion that are really nice. i haven't done too much with eclipse pieces so i can't say they are good or bad because i just dont know.

i had some eclipse 6.5"s running on my alpine HU and i really didnt like em, upper levels (the levels that trance hits on) had quite a bit of distortion, so i went to car toys and best buy and i ended up getting an entire sony system. I know sony isnt the best, but the only people that did better with the music i listen to is Focal....not about to spend THAT much.

I couldnt be happier with my sound in my lude. 4 Sony 6.5 3 ways, 2 10" Sony Subs and a Sony 9100(i think) Amp. Sounds freakin awesome. Most people dont think that sony was able to make the incredible sound their products do for me, and im still running on my same HU with no amp.

The reason i got that amp is the other ones i looked at (Bazooka and Kicker) kept having reviews mentioning overheating...this one doesnt have that problem. Great sound for 300 bucks, made my subs sound AMAZING.

*Correction, its a Sony 9001GTR amp. 550w @ 4ohms || 900w @ 2 ohms

Quoted post[/post]]
i had some eclipse 6.5"s running on my alpine HU and i really didnt like em, upper levels (the levels that trance hits on) had quite a bit of distortion, so i went to car toys and best buy and i ended up getting an entire sony system. I know sony isnt the best, but the only people that did better with the music i listen to is Focal....not about to spend THAT much.

I couldnt be happier with my sound in my lude. 4 Sony 6.5 3 ways, 2 10" Sony Subs and a Sony 9100(i think) Amp. Sounds freakin awesome. Most people dont think that sony was able to make the incredible sound their products do for me, and im still running on my same HU with no amp.

The reason i got that amp is the other ones i looked at (Bazooka and Kicker) kept having reviews mentioning overheating...this one doesnt have that problem. Great sound for 300 bucks, made my subs sound AMAZING.

*Correction, its a Sony 9001GTR amp. 550w @ 4ohms || 900w @ 2 ohms
We were talking about tv's but whatever :ph34r: :p :laugh:

I like Sony's shit, hell I run an Xplode deck over a Pioneer. The Xplode IMO is just so much simpler and easier to deal with. Pioneer has a million and 1 EQ settings that I don't even know what they mean :laugh:

Now back to DVD PLayers and TV's... I called up Best Buy and talk to one of the install tech's and he seemed to know his shit. He answered every one of my questions perfectly without hesitating his answers and he even went into great detail about certain things. He told me my best bet is to wait until they have another sale where they offer free installation because he says intalls start @ $150. I think i'm going to go with the 7 inch Insignia flip-down. I don't need anything fancy, just something that will entertain my son and my girlfriend.

i will do you a favor don't buy the insignia screen. i mean it is an ok screen and the picture quality is not bad but......... it is best buys cheap line and i have every single one i put in come back with problems. you will be changing them out more than you get to watch movies on it. that is just my experiance with them but i just thought i would give you that little tip that they didnt tell you.

Quoted post[/post]]
i will do you a favor don't buy the insignia screen. i mean it is an ok screen and the picture quality is not bad but......... it is best buys cheap line and i have every single one i put in come back with problems. you will be changing them out more than you get to watch movies on it. that is just my experiance with them but i just thought i would give you that little tip that they didnt tell you.
I actually went to Best Buy today and the 10.2 Insignia I liked a lot but I also liked the 'Directed Video' 12 inch...what do you suggest? because everything else is out of my price range.

my bad, didnt know eclipse had a drop down. oh well, searchable for information later :). *walks slowly out of the DVD topic*

Quoted post[/post]]
go with the directed one believe me you will be much happier.
Will do...also, I forgot to ask the guy at Best Buy, Would they install a flip-down that I bought on my own? I know they won't warranty the product itself but would they install it and warranty their work?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
go with the directed one believe me you will be much happier.
Will do...also, I forgot to ask the guy at Best Buy, Would they install a flip-down that I bought on my own? I know they won't warranty the product itself but would they install it and warranty their work?
yeah they will depending on how cool the guy is or not he may charge ya a fee to check to make sure it works before it goes in the car. it is called a bench checking fee i like to do it on somthing like that just casue if ya get it in and it doesnt work then your kinda sshit outta luck and still have to pay the install charge even though it doesn't work. the charge is only about 17 bucks so its not too bad, i would rather pay 17 and find out somthin doesnt work than pay 100 and have it in my car and find out it doesn't work ya know what i mean.

Back