Need answers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slickkrick50h9

Hello today I turned my car on and when it turned on it died quick. So I thought It was just the battery so I popped my truck open and I see a lot of smoke my negative wire was about catch on fire ! , so I went to the front of the car and seen my positive wire to the starter on fire , do I just need a new wire to the starter or did I fry my starter and battery or anything else .?? Need answer ASAP

From what you described, it sounds like something shorted out, or your wires are too small and you cooked them by trying to push way more current than the line was capable of.

First of all what year, make, model, mods are we talking about.

You said you popped the "truck" (trunk?). Battery relocation? Wire tuck? How long has this been in place? Who did the work? What was used? Wire gauge?

Wire to the starter was on fire. Again what gauge wire? OEM? How old? Bench test the starter / solenoid.

I would highly recommend looking at at least all of the main power and ground wires and their connections. Gauge, condition, resistance, etc.

Battery is most likely fine, but there are plenty of places that will test it for free.

From what you described, it sounds like something shorted out, or your wires are too small and you cooked them by trying to push way more current than the line was capable of.

You said you popped the "truck" (trunk?). Battery relocation? Wire tuck? How long has this been in place? Who did the work? What was used? Wire gauge?

Wire to the starter was on fire. Again what gauge wire? OEM? How old? Bench test the starter / solenoid.

I would highly recommend looking at at least all of the main power and ground wires and their connections. Gauge, condition, resistance, etc.

Battery is most likely fine, but there are plenty of places that will test it for free.
Hello I meant trunk sorry about that! , I’m running a positive wire from a amp since I’m wired tuck , it’s 1999 civic si but the engine is a gsr

That wire to the starter was In there about 2 years already hasn’t done that until yesterday

You need to recheck your wiring and get a 100a or more fuse or marine breaker. Both sides. With fuses nothing catches on fire.

Something grounded out or got hot or isn’t connected right. Post up some Photos Of your wiring back and front.

You need to recheck your wiring and get a 100a or more fuse or marine breaker. Both sides. With fuses nothing catches on fire.

Something grounded out or got hot or isn’t connected right. Post up some Photos Of your wiring back and front.

Attachments

• 8F73D9C6-1B9A-4C65-B4F4-3217FABDDB46.jpeg
    8F73D9C6-1B9A-4C65-B4F4-3217FABDDB46.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 4FB2DF1F-9AF8-40DB-BB79-6445D7031FDA.jpeg
    4FB2DF1F-9AF8-40DB-BB79-6445D7031FDA.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 244
Is that a self-tapping sheet metal screw into the spare tub for a ground?

Please fix all that, don't let your car burn down to the ground...

What gauge wire are you using? It looks inadequate. Here's mine, #2 welding cable for starter, #4 welding cable for the alternator, going into a moroso disconnect. #2 is fused at 250a, #4 is fused at 80a.

IMG_20200907_200516.jpg
IMG_20200907_200531.jpg
IMG_20200907_200553.jpg
IMG_20200907_200652.jpg
IMG_20200907_200434.jpg

Is that a self-tapping sheet metal screw into the spare tub for a ground?

Please fix all that, don't let your car burn down to the ground...

What gauge wire are you using? It looks inadequate. Here's mine, #2 welding cable for starter, #4 welding cable for the alternator, going into a moroso disconnect. #2 is fused at 250a, #4 is fused at 80a.

View attachment 28741View attachment 28742View attachment 28743View attachment 28744View attachment 28745
Dang I wished mine looked good like that ! But my lies to the battery’s are just like amp wires , that’s how the tuner did it! But it was good for about 2 years ,

Sounds good doing a run to Walmart tmrw get the new lines

Get this style fuse holder and fuses. They'll pass NHRA tech, they'll meet your amperage requirements, and they will give you the safety you need for your install.

1599566813192.png

1599566826462.png

Amazon product
Bussmann HMEG Fuse Block/Holder with Cover For AMG Fuses
Amazon product
LITTELFUSE 0298080.ZXEH FUSE, BOLT-DOWN, 80A, 32V, TIME DELAY
Amazon product
Bussmann AMG-250 AMG High-Current Stud Mount Fuse - 250 Amp Rating

Back