New Car-----Flammmeee onnnnnnnnnnnnn open house

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Diesel has been cheaper than gas for me for quite some time now.

Break even cost in the car itself is what I'm referring to. A 328i vs 328d is only $1500 brand new. It's a very short break even life. Probably a year or less in fuel and mileage savings.

At that, when I was car shopping used the only diesels they had CPO were 10k over the 320i with the similar options and similar miles. The car we bought ended up being significantly cheaper and I wouldn't have broken even for a long long time, if ever. At that, when fuel prices are lower, including diesel, the break even point gets much further away. Then once you factor in the residual value at trade in, it was a no brainer, 38-40 mpg on the freeway was plenty good. In stop and go traffic, the whole 15 mile commute to and from work, it's hitting 28 mpg. Weekends, its around 37 combined which isn't awful. But it has less power.

And ya'll are paying higher prices for a change than us. I paid 2.09 to fill out the 320i with 91 last saturday.

Break even cost in the car itself is what I'm referring to. A 328i vs 328d is only $1500 brand new. It's a very short break even life. Probably a year or less in fuel and mileage savings.

At that, when I was car shopping used the only diesels they had CPO were 10k over the 320i with the similar options and similar miles. The car we bought ended up being significantly cheaper and I wouldn't have broken even for a long long time, if ever. At that, when fuel prices are lower, including diesel, the break even point gets much further away. Then once you factor in the residual value at trade in, it was a no brainer, 38-40 mpg on the freeway was plenty good. In stop and go traffic, the whole 15 mile commute to and from work, it's hitting 28 mpg. Weekends, its around 37 combined which isn't awful. But it has less power.

And ya'll are paying higher prices for a change than us. I paid 2.09 to fill out the 320i with 91 last saturday.
Dang! I paid 25k for my CPO 335d with 40k miles on it. Loaded with everything, only missing sport package.

Looks like I haven't been paying close attention to gas prices. They used to be a bit higher than D, now looks like D is only about 0.10 cheaper than 91 here.

This is why I love this car....the range I get with a mere 15 gallons of the D.....that's about 44mpg

Sadly I will be probably be giving it back at the end of lease...i dont want to buy it out at yhe 29k residual value....The plan is to buy something in cash next year....BMW/Audi...Older like an 06/07 for around 6-8k...and have no payments for a two years ..give or take a few months....save up and probably lease something real nice...that way I will have a awd beater for the winter and to keep lease miles down...can't lease something full time anymore with the commute...

I'll be 40 in 2018.....so I may go crazy on something on a 24 month lease ultra low miles

Cars I'm looking ....

Maserati Ghibli rwd
Jaguar F type
M3
S4
Z06
Porsche Cayman
Alfa Romeo 4c

But who knows what the future holds....I work for the state so I may end up knocking on Bs door asking if I can move in after getting laid off...you never know....

Attachments

• IMG_20160425_074745.jpg
    IMG_20160425_074745.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 223
I give it 6 months in of owning a "beater" and you go get something else. Isn't that why you lease in the first place? So you can drive something newish all the time?

I give it 6 months in of owning a "beater" and you go get something else. Isn't that why you lease in the first place? So you can drive something newish all the time?

Yes but i can't lease anymore.. I'll be doing almost 20k a year now in total driving.... Lease payments and excess milage charges would be through the roof ....so it's not really a choice so it makes it easier

So that's why I have this new plan ..I say beater but it will be nice enough ....I've driven used cars most of my life so it's no big deal...

I'll do 10k miles a year lease on something nice and use the beater to keep the miles down on whatever I end up with...

Yea B they lease those cars all day long....maybe not BMW but all the rest I have seen leases for....guy at my last job leased an S6

lol nice winter beaters....

all those cars I want are quite expensive lol...but at 40....one of them will be a nice gift for myself. I was considering a BMW Bike but I decided I just don't want to die.....saw a NASTY bike accident the other day on 691 and I made up my mind that no fucking way am I getting a Bike.

What a grown up you have grown into.

This is exactly how I would have looked at the break even analysis.

Back