New Hemi trucks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Feb 3 2004, 07:30 AM-->
pills_PMD
@Feb 3 2004, 09:20 AM
speaking of the hemi thing.. that pisses me off.. all they are talking aout is a hemispherical combustion chamber... most of our honda's have that damnit

For that matter, the only four stroke engines NOT using a hemispherical combustion chamber are Briggs & Stratton engines and heavy truck diesel engines.

I think Dodge's thing is, though, their Hemi engines have a TRUE hemispherical combustion chamber, where Hondas and other cars have more of a hemisphere that got chamfered at the area where the intake and exhaust valves sit.

So the Hemi revolutionized combustion chamber design, but it's nothing special any more. Dodge just happens to be the only company using totally hemispherical combustion chambers.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 3 2004, 12:08 PM
I think Dodge's thing is, though, their Hemi engines have a TRUE hemispherical combustion chamber, where Hondas and other cars have more of a hemisphere that got chamfered at the area where the intake and exhaust valves sit.

So the Hemi revolutionized combustion chamber design, but it's nothing special any more. Dodge just happens to be the only company using totally hemispherical combustion chambers.

Well actually, if you want to nit- pick... Hondas use pentroof combustion chambers. They're called this because they look like a roof of a house- flat angular sides that converge at a point in the middle. They have do this because it's the only economical way you're going to get four valves into a production head that's space- efficient. It's a lot easier to do two valves with a hemi head than four (but it can be done ala Formula cars from the 60's- 80's). Most, if not all four valve heads in production today are pentroof type. Most, if not all two valve heads are hemispherical.

The reason Dodge is going, "it's got a Hemi" is because Hemi was their trademark in the '60's, and to revive the past, they've dusted off the Hemi name (and no doubt trademark), and are using it again. Hemis were impressive back then. Not anymore. I hear "Hemi" and think antiquated technology. *shrug* It's just a selling point. I've seen '04 GM Vortec V8 heads with hemispherical combustion chambers, so it's not like Dodge is the only one doing it.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Feb 3 2004, 11:29 AM
Well actually, if you want to nit- pick... Hondas use pentroof combustion chambers. They're called this because they look like a roof of a house- flat angular sides that converge at a point in the middle. They have do this because it's the only economical way you're going to get four valves into a production head that's space- efficient. It's a lot easier to do two valves with a hemi head than four (but it can be done ala Formula cars from the 60's- 80's). Most, if not all four valve heads in production today are pentroof type. Most, if not all two valve heads are hemispherical.

The reason Dodge is going, "it's got a Hemi" is because Hemi was their trademark in the '60's, and to revive the past, they've dusted off the Hemi name (and no doubt trademark), and are using it again. Hemis were impressive back then. Not anymore. I hear "Hemi" and think antiquated technology. *shrug* It's just a selling point. I've seen '04 GM Vortec V8 heads with hemispherical combustion chambers, so it's not like Dodge is the only one doing it.

Well, right, that's kinda what I was getting at when I said Hondas and the like had the chamfered areas of the combustion chamber. "Pent-roof design" was the phrase I was looking for.

In any case, yes, I also associate the Hemi engine with antiquated technology. Hell, lots of younger people today don't even know what it means, or what it meant 40 years ago. The only people who care are Dodge fans, who think the Hemi engine is still a pinnacle of engineering (like my coworker).

I was watching tv and they said they were coming out with a new "improved" version or the srt-4. It is suppoesed to have the same ugly body style though. It is still a neon and they suck period.

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic@Feb 3 2004, 02:13 PM
I was watching tv and they said they were coming out with a new "improved" version or the srt-4. It is suppoesed to have the same ugly body style though. It is still a neon and they suck period.

Prove the Neon sucks. Why does it suck? I'll bet you $50 right here that you can't come up with a solid argument based on factual evidence to support your uneducated opinion that Neons suck.

I'll define "solid argument based on factual evidence" because I know you'll fuck that up. What I mean is, links to press releases, consumer reports, or any other published article that states one way or another that the Neon is a low quality car. Your homie that blew one up after bouncing off the rev limiter doesn't count.

I'm serioius about the bet, too...

Well, maybe it's not proof, but the aforementioned coworker of mine who's a huge Dodge/Chrysler fan used to drive a Neon. He got rid of it at 60k miles because he was afraid that, like some of his other Dodges that he owned, the Neon would become a money pit for repairs/maintenance, and got rid of it before it could happen to him again.

Like I said, not proof or facts, but an interesting observation about die-hard domestic fans...

What I think is funny about die hard domestic fans is that they'll piss on Honda cars, Nissan, and Toyota, but you'll see 'em driving 1st gen Eclipses, MKII VWs, and will ALWAYS have a Japanese sport bike.

Go figure.

Back