new jdm retard needs ecu answers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VatorT

TD3 Racing Crew Chief
hi,
i'm new to this.....so please bear with me.
i have just sucessfully completed a ZC swap on my 91 civic Si, it was pretty straight forward and had no troubles. when it fired up instantly, nobody was more surprised than me. It runs great!

well, now that i got my hands dirty, i want to do a B16A2 (SiR-II)swap on my 93 civic EX coupe.
i'm pretty clear on most issues but the ECU.
i am told i need a P30 OBD-1 ECU......is this the "only ECU" it will run correctly with? can the existing ECU be used until the correct one is found?

also, i'm going to purchase my motor/trans/etc. locally from SOKO america or J-SPEC autosports(Canada) on the internet. any thoughts on either? (whats a fair price?)

any and all answers or coments are appreciated,

thanks, Tom

there are a few ECUs that will work with an SiRII swap in a 5th gen EX.
USDM and JDM P30
USDM P61
JDM PR3

those are the ones I can think of right now that should plug right in and work, granted there are other that will work, but you will need to conver to another OBD which is pointless since you are already running obd1.

thanks MasseyRacer

thank you for the prompt reply.
i'm learning tons of new stuff everyday.(reading countless web pages)
i sold my daily driver(towncar) last week, so i have to make good educated choices with my project car. we have 4 other cars in the household but.....nobody wants to give up theirs.(i just pay for and fix them)
i'm just starting to collect all the pieces needed to do the swap in early spring(no hurry). should have the B16A2 by mid november.

thank you for your time and thoughts,

You in all likelyhood will receive a JDM P30 with your swap.

If you do not, a USDM P30 will work fine.
USDM P61/P72 will kinda run the car, but they are intended for a different motor.

You can also chip your EX (P28) ECU and have it run the motor as well/better than a stock P30. see http://wiki.pgmfi.org for more details.

thanks radnulb,
i was thinking that it would be nice if i had more than one ecu to change out for different driving situations. this car is gonna be my daily driver, so..... i should probably have one for normal everyday situations.........and one for night time going out and looking for trouble....lol
well, more so for route 66 dragstrip.....on tuesday nights when they let just about anybody with $25 run their car for time. even knuckleheads like me.

so, its settled.......i'll hope the p30 comes with the swap
and then i can do something more radical with the p28.

thanks again for your input radnulb

in rice we burn, tom

if you do not receive an ecu with a swap..
you can get a chipped p28 ecu that'll work
i run a p28/hondata setup myself

thanks pills PMD,

i will cerainly act upon your suggestion.
as i said in my previous post, i would really like 2 ecu's. the radical one hopefully will be socketed for quick change-outs.

can you reccommend a reputable vendor somewhere to send my stock p28 ECU to be socketed and chipped?

thanks again, tom

btw....pray for me saturday, i have to changeout the water pump on my stockola '93 civic ex. only because im not fully ready to do the swap.
(i can see my bleeding knuckles already)
and winter may come early here in chicago......or not....lol
no sense in getting my hotrod ready for snow.

i would avoid "jspec.com" like the plague...

we did a swap for a kid that ordered his swap from them, and it was a total POS

i recommend HMO, as we have ordered 11 swaps from them, and have never gotten a lemon

Back