New project I picked up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Very nice. Glad to see some people do research before they cut/build.

This is pretty much why i was at a stand still for a while. I needed to figure out what i wanted to do and how to achieve it. After a couple of months of sifting through tons of info and talking to a bunch of people who have done this, I made my shopping list of parts I needed and then started shopping. I picked up pretty much the entire front end brand new minus the brakes from rock auto for 250 bucks. Not gonna lie I am liking these classic car part prices.:D

Looking good so far! One thing I noticed is the new bumpers wrapped in plastic.. I see the front made it to the car, but if the rear is still wrapped up, get it out of there.. Even a tiny bit of moisture gets inside it'll rust within a couple of days. And my two cents on the ride height.. I'd go a little higher both for ride quaility (more suspension travel) and of course rubbing. Unless you bag it or something. And ditch that god aweful "GT" cap. But that's me. This is your car.

*edit* Saw you ditched the cap already. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah the gt cap was from a previous owner not me. One of the first things i did was remove it. Both bumpers are on the car now. As for the stance i am gonna try it like i said it will easily be reversable.

Got some time to work on the car this weekend and got alot accomplished. I got everything from the firewall forward painted and undercoated and re seam sealed. I mounted most of all the new stuff loosely just to make sure it all fit. Also drilled the new holes for the upper control arm mounts to move them down an inch. The one thing I learned is when you get the template that says actual size check it before you drill into your car, luckily I did because they were an 1/8th off of what the measurement was supposed to be. All in all it was pretty productive and I got most of everything accomplished that I wanted to. Took some pics and even mocked a wheel up, remember nothing is actually bolted down and it has the way wrong tires on the rims at the moment.
null-11.jpg

null-15.jpg

null-12.jpg

null-14.jpg

The control arms are setup so when the suspension compresses it goes into positive camber making it handle like poo. Shelby figured out that by moving them down 1 inch and back an 1/8th inch that it changes the geometry so it has negative camber when compressed and in static position. There is no way in stock form to get negative camber your options become moving the upper mount or buying an adjustable length lower mount which is very spendy. This mod cost 16 bucks for the price of the drill bit needed.

Car is looking great!! Keep it up :thumbsup:

Don't mean to spam your thread but my father and I also have a '66 notch back with the 200ci, did the Maverick front disc swap and 8.8" rear as well. Got the rust cut out and repainted then we had a heavy snowfall and it collapsed the shop...now she sits

rustang1_zps91727ea2.jpg

rustang_zps856bbd44.jpg

rustang2_zpse094a64d.jpg

rustang5_zpsc2c08a68.jpg

Ughhhhhhhh that is horrible, good lookin car ya got there. Looks like it was a solid platform to start off of. What are your plans fix the roof or cut it off and get a donor roof to weld on?

My dad wants to make it a year round convertible (don't put any top on) but I want to make it a fastback, there are kits for it. Something will happen eventually haha

good to hear your not gonna give up on it. The problem with makin it a year round convertible is the torque boxes and inner rocker panels are totally different from an actual convertible. Your gonna have to do some serious strengthening to that car to run it with the top off other wise it is gonna cave in in the middle. If it were me I would find a rotted out fastback on ebay for like 500 bucks and cut the roof off and splice it in.

That eBay idea is good! And yeah was a while ago, the shop was unfinished I bet you 2 cross bracing 2x4s would have saved it lol. It took out the mustang, our boat, buddies boat, and minor damage to our jeep. Missed the s2000 by inches lol :) insurance paid for a new better shop and were still f'n the dog on working on the mustang

Haha as a matter of fact it is! "Dog fucking" "fucking the dog" procrastination and/or avoiding a certain task

This is awesome. I'd adopt the phrase, but using it in certain parts of Texas and Oklahoma might get you the wrong reaction... :D

In Pennsylvania Dutch country, things are hard to understand but they are German accurate. I said "Screwing the pooch" once and the whole room fell silent.

Of course, this is the same day that I was asked, about my 91 Civic hatch: "That's nice, what is that?"
"It's a Honda Civic"

"Who makes that, Ford or Chevy ?"

I hear the water isn't too good in your neighborhood, Glass.

Hey glass got a question for ya. Did you do the front end swap or was it done when you got the car? If you did it do you by any chance remember what size pitman arm scetor shaft you had, was it 1 inch or 1 1/8th

Back