Not so straight forward swap...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AllenEGCivic

To begin with I'll give you a little background on the swap to let everybody know why exactly I have decided for the swap. I have a '99 Si and my brother has a '97 DX. We both have planned on modifying our vehicles but quickly decided to focus all of our efforts on a single vehicle to save money. Given my brothers hatch is already gutted and cage-ready, minor suspension work, etc etc, we decided that we are better off by putting the b-series motor into the hatch and his Y7 into my car.

I thought from day 1 that this would be a straight up swap and I'd be back to driving my car in no time. I've swapped axles, main engine harness, ecu, radiator, pretty much everything for an engine swap to work. I am now to the point where I can drive it. Everything is buttoned up and ready to go, however the car will not start.

I'm getting spark, the starter is turning to motor and everything is working....except I'm not getting any fuel. The fuel pump/main relay is not clicking like it should be when you turn the key and my pump is not turning on to prime the lines. We checked the pump, check the relay, checked the fuses, checked everything and for the life of me I cannot figure out why the relay is not working.

The ONLY other thing that I can think of that would be different between the two cars would be the interior/dash harness. Would there be a difference in the harness to where it would not let the relay work?? Or is it something smaller than that? I'm really hoping that it may be something stupid that I have overlooked but any help is much appreciated thanks.

Check power at fuel pump with a test light, if no power at fuel pump go back to the relay.
If there is power at the pump then it possibly could be the pump itself.

I'll be sure to triple check the grounds and also double check that the fuel pump is getting power. But, I'm still thinking that my problem is with power to the relay and again we have checked it and it's continuity is fine.

I would just like to make it aware that I've double checked the continuity of the PGM-FI main relay and everything checked out, also, I checked it in accordance with the Honda service manual. Next thing the manual tells me to do is to check with the actual harness. So, I'm guessing I'm going to be in for some work. But again, any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Well first, just because you have power at the relay does not mean the relay works. Power can go the the relay all day long but if that little switch inside the relay does not work then it's not sending the signal to the fuel pump. I have had to replace these on more than one occasion. very easy, as you know its right under the drivers dash. before you go buy one. try and just borrow one out of a the other civic to test if it starts. Also Double check the proper order for the distributor wires as to what cylinder they are meant to go to.

definately check your spark plug wire order on the dizzy to the plugs because its different from a D series to a B series. just to let you know.

The relay is fine, we checked it and it has continuity.

Out of all the research I've done for a swap, I guess this really proves to be a not so straight forward swap haha. First of all, one of the pigtails for the B-series ecu is integrated into the dash harness for some stupid reason. Also, the floor harness had to be swap. Got the harnesses swapped and now have power to the pump, the relay is kicking on and the fuel pump is junk HA. Quite a learning experience I'd say. Now all I need is an EX floor, rear, and door harness. Thanks for all of the input.

You should just use the 99 si engine harness on the d16y7 and modify it to fit. I always recommend using the 99-00 harness in 99-00 cars only, 96-98 in use 96-98.

If you want to use a 96-98 engine harness in a 99-00 chassis, you will have to convert to the 96-98 cabin/dash harness as well. - WAY TO MUCH WORK

Back