OBD II B16a in an EG

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed90Lude

can we just use the harness on the motor (obd II) and plug it in to the car harness and just use an OBD I P30 to run this motor? help

I'm using a 98gsr harness on my 00sib16a2 in my 95dx and it plugged right in,I'm having a mount problem tho :angry: ......but the harness plugged right in and works,I run a modded p72 but was told by many that the p30 will work

if the harness you have is from an EK chassis then you cant. the ecu and engine harness is all integrated, intead of a two piece that diconnects at the pass. side shock tower like on our EG's.

did you get your engine from a 99+ Si?

HEY, I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM BUT INSTEAD MY MOTOR IS A OBDII TYPE R. I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE RETAIN THE TYPE R MOTOR HARNESS, BUT INSTEAD I'VE USED THE HARNESS OFF MY 92'SI HATCH AND MADE SOME MODS. I CHANGED THE DISTRIBUTOR TO AN OBDI AND HAVE PROBLEMS COORDINATING THE COLOR SEQUENCE FOR THE ALTERNATOR. I'VE CUT THE ALTERNATOR PLUG FROM THE TYPE R AND SOLDERED IT TO THE SI HARNESS, BUT THE COLOR OF THE WIRES DID NOT MATCH. DO YOU GUYS KNOW WHICH WIRE GOES TO WHICH???THERE ARE FOUR WIRES......ANY HELP WOULD HELP. THANKS.

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Mar 18 2004, 04:37 PM
just i suspected....anyone else agree?

yup, you can use a chipped p28 p30 or a p72

sigh. This comes up over and over and over here...

OBD1 Car
OBD2 Motor

use:
-OBD2 motor
-OBD1 (factory - use what came with your car. particularly important for VX) engine harness
-OBD1 ECU
-change pinouts on any sensors by splicing OBD2 connector on in place of OBD1 connector
-Lengthen any wires that need to go to different places
-Add any wires (vtec, vtec pressure, knock, etc.) that are missing. Run from sensor to shock tower and find the appropriate wire running through firewall to ECU.
-Repin distributor (note: OBD2 distrib will run OBD1 car/ECU)

oh yeah, if you have a 92-95 CX or DX (BUT NOT NOT NOT VX!!!) you can get a 92-95 ex harness to have vtec and vtec pressure connectors. a 92-95 GSR or 94-95 Del Sol Vtec or 92-95 JDM/EDM Civic Vti harness will have vtec, vtec pressure and knock. You can add these wires to a CX/DX/EX harness too - buying another engine harness is just a way to buy something that requires less fiddling.

Originally posted by radnulb@Apr 2 2004, 01:21 PM
sigh. This comes up over and over and over here...

OBD1 Car
OBD2 Motor

use:
-OBD2 motor
-OBD1 (factory - use what came with your car. particularly important for VX) engine harness
-OBD1 ECU
-change pinouts on any sensors by splicing OBD2 connector on in place of OBD1 connector
-Lengthen any wires that need to go to different places
-Add any wires (vtec, vtec pressure, knock, etc.) that are missing. Run from sensor to shock tower and find the appropriate wire running through firewall to ECU.
-Repin distributor (note: OBD2 distrib will run OBD1 car/ECU)

There's an amendment you should make to your almost perfect list:

(optional engine harness)
- using a US OBD2a or OBD2b integra engine harness
(its fully compatible with any OBD1 civic /integra)

using this specific harness will alleviate a person most of the modifications you just described, mainly the repinning of the distributor and injectors. The user will be able to use all OBD2 electronical engine parts without having to modify anything sensor, distritubtor, injector, and alternator-wise on the motor. The only wiring needed would be for the VTEC solenoid & knock sensor ... the knock sensor is obviously optional if the user decides to run a stock P28 or run a reprogrammed OBD1 VTEC ecu that has a disabled KS in the programming.

:D

Back