Oil Line Restrictors for turbos

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have just seen a forum on Oil Line Restrictors for turbos? How do you know if you need one? Is it by horse power? Thanks.

a restricter is used to lower oil pressure going to the turbo, mostly when the oil is cold.

if you have an oil press. gauge, you will notice, that at start up, the pressure is up in like the 50s-60s, but once warm, and at idle, 10-15 psi is normal.

the turbo seals don't like a lot of pressure- they just want the lube.
the restricter, well, restricts, the pressure.

frankly, IMO, if you have a properly sized feed line, say -3an, i don't think they are remotely necessary.

Went from oil filter to cyclinder head with a 6an then to the turbo with 4an. I have a prodrive gear and looking 550hp. Thanks.

to the head? for a vtec conversion?
i don't know about that shit.. lol
but the 4 is really too big. get a -3 line.

I have no idea what your talking about. If you could explain what is an optimal setup for feed line sizes and fittings, that would be really informational.

for an oil feed for a vtec head you want at least -4...

-3 is fine for oil feed on a turbo... I'm running -4, and blew the turbo seals with a 1/2" drain line. I installed a restrictor so that it cuts the pressure... works great!

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Apr 14 2004, 10:29 PM
i bought an aluminum one off of a guy on h-t... look around on ebay... they pop up sometimes...

I think I got in on the same deal. ;) $8.50 or something... Might have been $18.50... Can't remember, but it works great.

Tried doing a seach and still don't find one. Let me know if anyone knows anyone. Thanks.

Back