Old man wants a convertable

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
so my old man is looking to get a new "toy"

he's showing a lot of interest in the MX5/miata
i guess a new one runs about 25K

so i was wondering if anyone knows good or bad things about them?
or if there is a better choice in that price range

he was looking into some GM convertible which goes for about 20K, i told him to stick with a foreign car...
pontiac solstice :shudder:

If he's looking to spend in the mid 20k range, tell him to buy a S2000. If he can fit into a miata, he can fit into an s2k.

S2k FTW!. Duh. (battle pope beat me to it)

I read a huge article on the new mx-5. Pretty impressive stuff, 1 pound heavier than the previous year but COMPLETELY re-done. Aluminum multilink suspension... New engine with more power, MUCH stiffer chassis, a little wider, a little longer, and a little bit more interior space. They put a hell of alot of R&D into the car-driver connection. everything is finely tuned so that you feel as though you are a part of the car, or the car is a part of you.. Whatever way you want to look at it. Still, I wouldn't own a miata unless I wanted to race the scca miata club.. But I'm 6'4" so miatas are completely out of the question for me. The new one is supposed to fix that.

Quoted post[/post]]
miata > s2k IMO

Indeed.

Less expensive, better balanced, and now there's the mazdaspeed miata thats factory turbo.

$25,000 for a miata sounds a bit high, but I could be off the mark here. I thought they were closer to $20,000 and that MAYBE a mazdaspeed miata, the performance model, would be $25,000.

Haven't you noticed B goes against teh grain?
I still :wub: him tho :confused:
I wouldn't pick either until i drove them both, but i would be inclined to drive a Honda.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
miata > s2k IMO

Oh god you didn't...

In what way?

every way possible....

until there's a spec s2000 racing circuit, the s2k does nothing for me.

Quoted post[/post]]
Haven't you noticed B goes against teh grain?
I still :wub: him tho :confused:
I wouldn't pick either until i drove them both, but i would be inclined to drive a Honda.

some day, you guys will realize that honda is NOT the epitmy of a "sports car".....

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
miata > s2k IMO

Oh god you didn't...

In what way?

LOL you know its a cold day when I'm agreeing with B here on every aspect of the issue.

Performance wise the miata is better and cheaper, yet with the same Japanese reliability. Miatas have been made for maybe 7 years less than civics, IF THAT. There's been quite awhile for Miata to perfect these cars, while making them as reliable and efficient as possible.

The S2000 is a relatively new car, that hasn't had the same amount of time to be perfected and is overpriced simply because of the name. We all learned with the del sol and crx that Honda doesn't do very well in the 2 seater market.

Quoted post[/post]]
LOL you know its a cold day when I'm agreeing with B here on every aspect of the issue.

Performance wise the miata is better and cheaper, yet with the same Japanese reliability. Miatas have been made for maybe 7 years less than civics, IF THAT. There's been quite awhile for Miata to perfect these cars, while making them as reliable and efficient as possible.

The S2000 is a relatively new car, that hasn't had the same amount of time to be perfected and is overpriced simply because of the name. We all learned with the del sol and crx that Honda doesn't do very well in the 2 seater market.

1. The miata does not out-perform the s2k. Can't even touch it. Not even close in handling or in a straight line.

2. The civic was born in 1973, the miata was born in 1990. Your math is teh suck.

3. The MX5 is a complete redesign, making it even "newer" development-wise than the s2k

4. The CRX owns you. The crx was and is still among the best of the two seat econoboxes out there.

So come up with a point that matters.. One that makes sense, or one that is somewhat true. We'll have a decent conversation. Until then, STFU.

And to b: No, hondas are not the ultimate sports car. But they are the ultimate in reliability, affordability, and most likely, the largest aftermarket support. In their class, they do great and have the highest resale.

Quoted post[/post]]
1. The miata does not out-perform the s2k. Can't even touch it. Not even close in handling or in a straight line.

stock for stock.. sure. but there's also a 10k price difference....

and if we're talking older miatas... you can pick up a 1st gen 1.6 for 1500 bucks.

for about 12 grand, you can have a complete spec-miata race car.
http://www.kingratmotorsports.com/

So come up with a point that matters.. One that makes sense, or one that is somewhat true. We'll have a decent conversation. Until then, STFU.

your points are mostly opinion... as are mine, and are the point of this thread.

if you've got a hard-on for an s2k, spend 25k or more on an s2000.

me, i'd rather spend 1500 and make a race car out of it, or buy the race car for 12 grand.

And to b: No, hondas are not the ultimate sports car. But they are the ultimate in reliability, affordability, and most likely, the largest aftermarket support. In their class, they do great and have the highest resale.

toyota's reliability owns hondas 4:1
toyota's affordability is on-par with honda (camry vs accord anyone?)
largest aftermarket support?? lol the chevy small block will always own this market.

class they do great--- sure. but the s2000 is in a class of its own, and in the class, its over-priced and gets its ass kicked. at least, at scca nationals it did.....

re-sale... sure, its ok. its not great though.
they fall just as fast as most cars in the first couple years, but their low limits don't drop cuz you always get the assclowns who are willing to pay 2700 bucks for a crashed CX with pep boys rims, or 3k over kbb for an si.

sorry, had to :ph34r:

Quoted post[/post]]
Isn't there like, a Mazdaspeed turbo'd Miata available as well?

yeah, but who cares. 1st gen, 1.6 in race mode is where it's at :p

well, here's the thing

my old man doesn't beat on cars, i would classify him as a NON DRIVER at best...

he has a 92 ranger, shift points = 2K-2.5K
in a rush or have a load? maybe bring it up to 3K

he has no interest in speed, i think he's mainly after looks

so now with that in mind, would you get a brand new mx5 or would you go with an old school joint?

i personally would go old school for 2 reasons,
first off it would be getting under the hood work done and the purchase price would need to be lower to afford under the hood, second, i don;t want payments, nor do i want new car depreciation...

anyone have opinions about 2000-2001, 02? vs 06?

mazda mx5 vs mazdaspeed mx5

$20K mx5 = 2.0 liter 170 hp 140 ft lbs
$26K mazdaspeed mx5 = 1.8 liter(turbo) 178 hp 166 ft lbs...

well thats a tough decision...

lol an extra 6k for 8 hp and 26 ft lbs?

What a joke.

Chalk one up for the regular Miata. If he's not an enthusiast he doesn't need anything more.

He's not looking for a race car, though. I think it's more of a "midlife crisis" thing. He's looking to be the cool, distinguished gentleman driving a convertible. An S2000 will be sexy. But I don't know much about the new Miata's. I hate the older Miata's though, so this makeover might be nice.

Back