Pc vs Mac

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well speaking for myself and maybe others, i dont think people necessary hate OSX itself, but the company and the culture around it. i mean, just because they own a Mac, they feel like their shit dont stink and buy into the whole verbal gonorrhea Lord Jobs craps out.

and here are the problems i have with Mac hardware wise:
a) apple makes products that when they do break, can only be repaired by an "apple genuis," eg batteries, hard drives, etc...and that usually doesnt come cheaper; else it voids the warranty. even though the end user can easily just open a latch or watever and replace the damn part themselves if they designed it to be user-friendly.
b) if a product line does have a defect they deny it like the sky isnt blue. recent problems have been screen cracks on new iMacs, overheating macbooks (mostly nvidia's fault), cracks on iphones, and hinges breaking on the Air Book. they deny until it gets media attention and then act like saviors and "reduce the cost of repiar even if its out of warranty," line.
c) just because its a mac edition, it costs significantly more than "pc edition." parts such as RAM and video cards even though they are the exact same thing.

but like ive mentioned in the other thread, they do have a great design team; aesthetically that is.

Since i only browse the internet & check email, ill probably get another 2 - 3 years (or more? screw you moores law) out of my current macbook.

My life will not be plagued with viruses, freezing or other headache related bs, i can move on to things that are more important. Its nice to have something that handles the basics flawlessly.

Why didnt you just get a linux netbook for 300 rather than paying 1200 for a macbook if you're going to use that logic.

Oh and it's not the computers fault for getting viruses. It's the user's.

By that I mean I use windows about 60-70% of the time on this computer. One of the 3 computers I use at work is windows, and I do NOT have a virus scanner on either.

I dont freeze, my host file doesn't get overwritten, I dont get my shit pushed in. Nothing bad happens. I just continue to use my crappy computers that over perform their specifications.

Home:
Semperon 2600+
512M of RAM
ATI 9200 SE
160GB IDE Hard Drive

Work:
Athlon 3000+
512M of RAM
Onboard Video
60GB IDE Hard Drive.

I'd put money on the fact that my windows box is probably the lowest spec'd machine still in use in my office (my bosses actually told me to make sure it was when he said I could have a third computer) and I'd also guarantee that it runs faster than more than half the computers in the office, most of which were purchased in the last 6 months.

That's not because my systems are crazy good, it's because I know how to read the URL for a link before I click on it. I don't willy nilly open attachments. I do NOT install any kind of P2P software and I do NOT install iTunes. Just a few small steps to keep everything working exactly as it should.

My wife follows similar rules, and wouldn't you know it, her computer has also been fine for the last 6 months (when she got it).

I hope im not forgetting anything, but the mac fanboy rant of 'i dont get viruses' was old 3 years ago when people started saying it. If Macs were to become the dominant platform you can be damned sure that people would be singing microsoft's praises for developing an OS that isn't plagued by viruses.

Being in a low usage demographic has its perks. One of which being it's easy to hide the fact that your product doesn't even compare with the competitions in performance or in price. I could only imagine what would happen if someone were to come out with a commercial saying 'no one writes software for me, that's why i dont get viruses', because that's the long and the short of it. The demographic is too small to waste time on, when there are millions of poor microsoft users out there that will click on anything that 'hot21miamibabe' sends their way.

Nice. I wish I had control over my work computer... oh well. I gave up admin rights when I moved to Dallas, and it was a good thing. All our crap runs slow from all the junk the company puts on them.

Hmm... I wonder if I can pull a site statistic for how many people are hitting the site with Safari- that would be a good count of Mac users, at least those that don't use Firefox. :(

past 30 days....

Attachments

• Browsers and OS - Google Analytics_1264585035931.png
    Browsers and OS - Google Analytics_1264585035931.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 164
Why didnt you just get a linux netbook for 300 rather than paying 1200 for a macbook if you're going to use that logic.

Get a what what? Linux netbook?

I know very little about linux. Nobody i know has a linux computer and I have never used one or even seen one. Best buy only had windows vista computers, and the apple store only had apple computers =/.

well speaking for myself and maybe others, i dont think people necessary hate OSX itself, but the company and the culture around it. i mean, just because they own a Mac, they feel like their shit dont stink and buy into the whole verbal gonorrhea Lord Jobs craps out.

and here are the problems i have with Mac hardware wise:
a) apple makes products that when they do break, can only be repaired by an "apple genuis," eg batteries, hard drives, etc...and that usually doesnt come cheaper; else it voids the warranty. even though the end user can easily just open a latch or watever and replace the damn part themselves if they designed it to be user-friendly.
b) if a product line does have a defect they deny it like the sky isnt blue. recent problems have been screen cracks on new iMacs, overheating macbooks (mostly nvidia's fault), cracks on iphones, and hinges breaking on the Air Book. they deny until it gets media attention and then act like saviors and "reduce the cost of repiar even if its out of warranty," line.
c) just because its a mac edition, it costs significantly more than "pc edition." parts such as RAM and video cards even though they are the exact same thing.

but like ive mentioned in the other thread, they do have a great design team; aesthetically that is.

just for kicks, apple no longer repairs their devices onsite. you have to take it to a "genius certified rrepair center" aka mom and pop store that services macs exclusively and apple ships them the parts and pays them to repair it.

you just submitted your form to one :)

And you kinda know me. I have 4.

Its crazy easy to use if all you do is check email and get on youtube and HS.

There's a button at the top with the firefox logo, and a button right next to it with an envelope....all your programs are in the top bar that says 'Applications'.

Its pretty straight forward for your average non-tinkering user. And the OS is free :D

Well I just got done with an interview for a job, and guess what? If I get it I will be working 50/50 mac and pc. Mac for all the editing, pc for all the server needs and file conversion. Guess I need to learn more about pc's.

it sounds like he's going to be doing video editing...i did that for a few years and mac does have that industry sewn up.

although doing file conversion on windows is silly.

ffmpeg > everything

and if you're running ffmpeg on windows you're doing it wrong.

ugh, dont remind me.

i remember about two years ago steve jobs scoffed at bill gates for thinking tablets were a good idea

I bought a mac for the wife. I think its a nice laptop, its small, light and easy to use. She does only use it for email and web so its simple. I've done some video editing on it and what comes on the OS is pretty nice. I also like that it is a Linux OS underneath.

Personally I only use windows for outlook email at work; and other video editing on Vegas Video. I use Linux for every day use.

Well the iPad is out now. At it appears to me that Apple fell flat on its face with this product. It is a large iTouch. Nothing more. A 1ghz processor with no multi tasking? Awesome....

I am going to be doing audio editing, as well as uploading finished files (commercials) to a server that they use for distribution of the finished products. I am not sure yet what type of file conversion I will be doing, but I think it will include more then just converting video. Any helpful tips for a mac user who has to get proficient with a pc. I have used pc's before, just not that much.

Macs are great --- for people who need to check email and surf the web.
anything beyond that, a pc can match or do better and for a lower price tag.

I work as a Hardware / Software Test Engineer for a MultiMedia Company
and for the software that I work on Mac blows PC's out of the water.

Here's what it comes down to. What you use it for and what your used to.
There are just Mac haters on this site. I am a Mac guy but when people ask me
what type of computer to get I give them an honest answer based on what they're going to be using it for. Oh and for the Windows people all I have to say is.............. VISTA. Hands down the WORST OS ever invented.

I am going to be doing audio editing, as well as uploading finished files (commercials) to a server that they use for distribution of the finished products. I am not sure yet what type of file conversion I will be doing, but I think it will include more then just converting video. Any helpful tips for a mac user who has to get proficient with a pc. I have used pc's before, just not that much.

What program will you be using for the audio editing?

Yes Vista did suck. It got a little better after the first SP but by in large it sucks/sucked. Macs are better at some things, but those things are dwindeling faster and faster with each iteration of their OS.

Back