Phantom Grip Limited Slip Differential Conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrnice1058

Phantom Grip Limited Slip Differential Conversion Kit. what do you guys think of it?

:withstupid:

Phaton Grip, in laymens terms is not a real LSD.

I think Phantom Grip is the only option for D series...and it's better than nothing, from what I have been told, but not worth the money.

If you got a B series tranny, def. get an ITR LSD or Quiafe

Originally posted by Havok@May 5 2004, 12:28 PM
I think Phantom Grip is the only option for D series...and it's better than nothing, from what I have been told, but not worth the money.

Nope, you can get both OEM and aftermarket LSDs for the D series transmissions.

i have a phantom grip on my LS bseries tranny and it works great.
if u do choose to go with phantom grip make sure u get the spring tuning tool.

i have a b series tranny so what exactly does the phantom do and how do i get my hand on one those real lsd's?

i know what they are supose to do but what i want to know is where can i get my hands on one of the "real"lsd tranny parts anyone know??

dam 2g's there is no way i can just get the differental and install it on my b16 tranny?

Originally posted by mrnice1058@May 5 2004, 10:04 PM
dam 2g's there is no way i can just get the differental and install it on my b16 tranny?

ive seen jdm ctr/itr lsd's sell for below 300 on ebay and those just replace the differential inside your b16 tranny and shabangalang you got LSD... a way better 1 than the phantom grip but still comparable to queef ? quaife ? whatever

The type-r has a torsen limited slip, i don't know who makes it. The other limited slips (all factory non-type r trannys) are usally made by hitachi, they are totally different. They are clutch pack limited slips. Hitatchi is the OEM diff supplier to most japanese carmakers. They also make the performance clutchpack diffs but they are based on the same housing as the open diffs so they are cast and have only 2 pinions. All of the aftermarket clutchpack diffs (kaaz, cusco,ats) CNC new 4 pinion housings so they have more space inside for largers clutch discs. They are less prone to failure since they were designed from the ground up as LSDs and build up less heat. For the street I would recommend an aftermarket 1.5way clutchpack diff or a torsen. If you find a good deal on a jdm lsd tranny they are worth it but remember that clutchpack diffs wear out and you should try to get a rebuild kit (viscous and torsen diffs should last a long time). I have heard some bad things about phantom grips but they are so damn cheap (i have seen them new for less than $200) that it might be worth it to some people. I hope that this helped.
-Mike

the primary difference between the 3 is this:

clutch-type: cheaper, but wears out quicker due to the friction-lining based nature of them (think of it as, of course, like a clutch or brake pad). very effective, however. very good all around LSD

torsen (or gear-based LSD). not mechanical slippage so there is no wear like clutch types. very expensive (compared to clutch type). for street duty they work.. if you are gonna drag race i would recommend a clutch type. with hard launches, sticky slicks, and a strong clutch, you can actually break the teeth on these types.

viscous: they use a thick fluid.. kinda like a heavy oil to lock the drive shafts. they have the long-wearing properties of a gear-based LSD, but without the pront to breakage under high load. these will be the longest-lasting type of LSD. they are very expensive however (moreso than gear-type), and they usually end up "hunting" for traction leaving the car to wander under hard throttle.. or causing a delay in shifting power to the outside wheel. because of this they are not as effective as gear or clutch type lsd's, but they have the best longevity.

our 1997 Nissan has a viscous LSD in it from the factory.

the ITR and new SE-R both have gear-types, but most other factory LSDs are clutch type.

hell.. even the porsche 959 had a clutch-type center differential

ok i know this is long this is an email i got from two of my friends what i want to know about is the viscous technique is this true all you need is thick ass fluids and you are good? and will it work? i mean for the mean time until i can save up for the "real"lsd?

My transmission is from a JDM SiR2 (not a Type R) and has the gear based Torsen LSD. The clutch LSDs were generally in pre-94 Integras and pre-92 Civics. Most other OEM Honda applications from those periods on up use gear based limited slip diffs.

The viscous LSD is still an LSD- you can't just put thick fluid in your transmission and expect it to operate like an LSD. It uses alternating plates with grooves cut into them- the grooves run cross-wise to each other from plate to plate. The fluid acts on these grooves to make the plates resist turning against each other, and that's what produces the limited slip effect.

dam i want to grow up and be just like you thanks man that info kicked ass barely inderstood it but it sounds dam good....lol nah i got it basically stop being cheap and get the good stuff i will keep my eye out on ebay for them but first i need to get my engine in and running good then i will go for all that i just figured since my engine is out i could do it but i see the phantom is not worth the money so i will wait...

If you want to "grow up" to be just like me (and nobody should), you should try to use proper spelling, capitalization, punctuation and grammar. People will be more likely to help you if they can understand your posts.

If you want to get your engine back together with a Phantom Grip you can- just be careful to install it correctly. For the same price though, you should still just look out for an OEM LSD to install into your transmission. Most engine suppliers actually only charge a $300 premium for the OEM LSD option on a Honda transmission, so you might be able to sell the transmission you have right now and just buy another one. That would save you the hassle of trying to pull your transmission apart and installing an LSD- there's more involved than just dropping it in.

DAM IT! (is that better) I just sold my Tranny and got a LS tranny it took me like 4 weeks to get this all done i wish Steve would have told me that about the LSD, but i guess i didn't notice that is my fault for not doing the proper research thank you Master your apprentice is learning

It's cool. :)

Why did you get the LS transmission? What did you have before? I guess Steve is the one who's doing your engine work, right?

Back