please help...zc swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

insanecivic93

i am new here and wonder if any can help. i have a 93 civic hatch cx. i just swapped a 92 zc (obd-1) motor and ecu and it doesnt run. i was told it was a plug and play swap but ive done a few swaps and have had no problems. this is my first zc, anybody know anything - please.?.?

Originally posted by Steve EF Hatch@Mar 19 2004, 09:15 PM
What does it do? Will it turn over or just clicks insyead of starting or what?

there could be 0394803948 diffrent reasons why it does not run. You have to tell us the diffrent symtoms the car is having. Are you getting fuel, getting spark, compresssion, ect.

right, sorry. yes it turns over. it even ran, but let me explain. when the motor came in the distributor was broke in shipping. now this isnt my 1st swap , but it is the 1st zc. anyway, when i put the motor in i decided to find the angle for the 1.5 (d-15) distrib. to run. that wasnt hard and it ran great, but i couldnt bolt it down cuase it was the wrong one and it was all crooked, but i could hold it on and it ran fine. so the company i orderd it from has a warranty on it and sent me a new distrib. and it got here and didnt work. so i figured maybe the ecu so i orderd the zc ecu (p-29) and it still dont work. so now here i am thinking ive got some oddball wiring harness??? i dont know... i did look at the ecu list on this site and it says my cx should have a p-05 and it had a p-09 and my wiring harness looks different than my freinds cx ( same year ) it has wires in the connectors that mine dosent have. it does spark and it gets fuel you can smell it, its got to be a wiring problem to the sensors in the distrib. i dont know...sorry its so long but thats everything , any ideas guys?

Originally posted by insanecivic93@Mar 19 2004, 10:57 PM
right, sorry. yes it turns over. it even ran, but let me explain. when the motor came in the distributor was broke in shipping. now this isnt my 1st swap , but it is the 1st zc. anyway, when i put the motor in i decided to find the angle for the 1.5 (d-15) distrib. to run. that wasnt hard and it ran great, but i couldnt bolt it down cuase it was the wrong one and it was all crooked, but i could hold it on and it ran fine. so the company i orderd it from has a warranty on it and sent me a new distrib. and it got here and didnt work. so i figured maybe the ecu so i orderd the zc ecu (p-29) and it still dont work. so now here i am thinking ive got some oddball wiring harness??? i dont know... i did look at the ecu list on this site and it says my cx should have a p-05 and it had a p-09 and my wiring harness looks different than my freinds cx ( same year ) it has wires in the connectors that mine dosent have. it does spark and it gets fuel you can smell it, its got to be a wiring problem to the sensors in the distrib. i dont know...sorry its so long but thats everything , any ideas guys?

is it a sohc vtec ZC? if it is you can use a USDM P28 manual ecu with it. should be 2 unconnectec plugs by the back of the firewall where egr was on cx, if the CX had egr stuff. Have you tried using the CX dizzy? Or using the stock CX wiring harness and just adding wires to the ecu for vtec. just throwing out suggestions. :rolleyes:

no. its a dohc non vtech and it is the stock cx harness. i guess im gonna try a new harness, one like the other civic harnesses ive seen. my buddy with the cx has the same harness as the 94 ex that my buisness partner has. mine is missing some wires on the plug at the ecu, i know some of them are for vtech but his cx wasnt vtech to start with. im confused completely now... ive been playing with it allready this morning and no luck :blink:

oh and whats up with the p09 ecu that was in the car to start with i cant find any info on it. ive got access to alldata and there is no mention of it there. if i had a diagram of the ecu pins and what they went to i could compare it to the new p29 and see if there is a difference, there has to be... we took a p05 out of my dudes civic and put this p09 in and it rann really bad --backfires and black smoke out the tail.... :huh: im losing hope :unsure:

nobody else? i guess im gonna replace the harness , im checking for continuity today and side by side comparison of the wiring harnesses... maybe ill find something :spin:

Back