Remodel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sweet I have a buddy that put a new driveway in and enlarged his deck with no paperwork. He is about to sell his house and thinks that he can get away with not disclosing it. It should be very interesting if he can pull it off. Personally I would have spent the extra $$ to get the piece of mind of a permit....

By the way the project looks good. I wouldn't worry too much about rocking and mudding it. It takes a while at first and you will make some mistakes but if you take your time you will be fine.

yeah, here in ct, the room must have heat to be included

got the last wall up and my office door framed in. Running the cat5e line tonight and hope to tackle the windows on saturday
monday the electric gets run along with the recessed lighting. Soon it will be insulation and drywall

OK time for an update. Been kinda lax around here this past week but we really kicked it in gear the past few days. Check out the pictures

My circuit box, while a very good one, was maxed out so i opted for a new one, with plenty of room.

old box
normal_DSCN6530.JPG

Old box wires EVERYWHERE
normal_DSCN6531.JPG

more wires
normal_DSCN6532.JPG

New breakers too
normal_DSCN6535.JPG

MMM space for the hot tub hook ups ;)
normal_DSCN6536.JPG

normal_DSCN6537.JPG

well thats done
normal_DSCN6538.JPG

On to the network stuff (that only part i've semi enjoyed so far.. go figure...

Starting..
normal_DSCN6525.JPG

2 of my office drops
normal_DSCN6527.JPG

Where it's all gonna end up.
normal_DSCN6528.JPG

Every room has this hanging out of the wall (at least one set)
normal_DSCN6550.JPG

Cable/phone/Ethernet all in the bulkhead
normal_DSCN6551.JPG

Used Stack its to keep it neat.. worked pretty well i think
normal_DSCN6553.JPG

Thinking about going up over this beam but either way seems pointless.
normal_DSCN6554.JPG

Phone and Ethernet Done except for adding the plugs and outlet drops (later)
normal_DSCN6555.JPG

Sigh... only thing left is the cable.. friggin birds nest.
normal_DSCN6552.JPG

I estimate we're about two-three weeks out from being completely done. I hired a family friend that does it for a living to hang and finish the dry wall. Great price and the way i figure it, I'm a DIY kinda guy but i've never done rock. If i fuck it up i'll be pissed off for 5 years every time i see it.

All thats left now is frame out a small nook for DVD's and CD's, frame out a small section of steps, throw up the insulation (starting that tomorrow, after i finish the cable. Do the windows

Then drywall, add molding and paint. Then flooring. Carpet in the main room, laminet faux wood floor in my office.

So i feel like we made GREAT progress this weekend. Finally starting to see a beginning to an end.

normal_DSCN6564.JPG

normal_DSCN6567.JPG

normal_DSCN6558.JPG

normal_DSCN6566.JPG

OK MAJOR PROGRESS FOLKS, im sure all of you are tired of reading about this as much as im tired of doing it but here's some pictures.

Drywall celing going up
normal_DSCN6585.JPG

Covering the bulk head, there goes my cats play area...
normal_DSCN6586.JPG

wow, a whole wall done.
normal_DSCN6588.JPG

Wall # 2
normal_DSCN6589.JPG

Office DONE WITH WINDOWS! im sooo pumped about those windows.. i did a GREAT job on them lol not to brag or anything but that was the only part i was super worried about.. and it was total cake walk.
normal_DSCN6591.JPG

normal_DSCN6594.JPG

Main room walled up and a layer of mud on the corners
normal_DSCN6592.JPG

From the back of the main room looking towards the other side, (center on the other side where the door is laying up on the wall is where the pellet stove will end up being.
normal_DSCN6593.JPG

Stairs are now officially flush with the top part. I had a picture of me and Kacey building these walls but i cant find it.
normal_DSCN6596.JPG

normal_DSCN6597.JPG

So far the bill is up to 3297.32
my estimated final cost is going to be about 5200, my goal was 4-4,500 but i bought 550 bucks worth of attic insulation as well so im probably just around my mark. I'll put up a itemized cost list just incase any of you out there are looking to do it.

are you adding in heat to the room?

i don't know about down there, but up here in order for the room to 'count' in sqft, it needs to be heated.

you already alluded to this before.. lol yes it's heated, remember, it was "finished" prior to the remodel.

I would heat this with an electric. Seriously, this place is so well insulated now - how cold is it gonna get ?

it gets pretty cold here.. we're usually in the 20's most of the winter.. i want the pellet stove for personal effect.. i personally like them i want to make use of some space in that corner that goes unused.. the heat is a gas furnace i'd hardly put out space heaters

Ok so update on the basement. Making great progress, really only thing left is paint, molding and flooring. Then tie in the other ends of the wires (into the router)Then we're done.

All the mud and sanding is done.

normal_DSCN6612.JPG

normal_DSCN6613.JPG

normal_DSCN6614.JPG

normal_DSCN6615.JPG

normal_DSCN6616.JPG

normal_DSCN6617.JPG

Access panel into the drain
normal_DSCN6618.JPG

All the network drops upstairs are done, just, all the drops in the basement too, just havent added the plates there because we still gotta paint.

normal_DSCN6643.JPG

In the kitchen :-D
normal_DSCN6644.JPG

normal_DSCN6692.JPG

normal_DSCN6690.JPG

normal_DSCN6689.JPG

Painting of the walls is done, just got to do the celing (white) then put down the molding then my part will be almost offically done. all i have to do is put in the faux wood flooring in my office and im fucking finished, i cant wait.

Ok so been a while.. holidays etc etc.

So here's the latest update.

Celing has finally been finished so all the painting is DONE (well except for some hand brush touch ups on some of the places i had to resand and throw more mud up and some paintable latex caulk.(btw caulk is the greatest thing ever)

So from there the only things left is flooring, trim and.. well .. thats it.

so here goes.

my papa using the sweet 20 dollar brad/staple nailer from harbor freight (works awesome)

normal_DSCN6694.JPG

One room down

normal_DSCN6699.JPG

This is the stairs to the basement, we're painting bottom half the color of the basement, and putting a chair rail to seperate the colors.

normal_DSCN6703.JPG

Trim around the utility room door is now trimmed

normal_DSCN6704.JPG

This is the door to my office, the door height was under estimated, which is why i had to redo the header at the top of the door jam (you can see the screws holding it up. I have to mud and paint this, then the door will go on.

Once the door goes on, i can finish the trim in my office which will take maybe 30 mins.

normal_DSCN6705.JPG

Network "closet" and storage door trimmed out.

normal_DSCN6706.JPG

I moved my networking stuff off of the house exterior wall. I figured if the shit hits the fan and we get a leak, i'd want this away from the water coming in. You can see the switch is now mounted. That is going to be moved down to allow space for the router AND the new verizion fios modem coming in.

normal_DSCN6707.JPG

Last thing i have to do is go over my finishing nails with caulk and paint, also need to paint over the "smutz" (the filler between the gaps in trim)

normal_DSCN6709.JPG

Finally, carpet gets put in this upcoming friday. I decided to carpet my office, because im tired of working on the thing and i just want it done. I dont feel like laying down more padding and putting in a wood floor. Just more hassle.

The very last thing i'll have to do is add some square 4" trim on the inside frame of the closet in my office to cover the 2x4 wood and fill out the space i left. Then make a custom door for my tv room closet that is a odd size 29 1/4 inches (most are 30 inches).

Thats it i'll have videos and movies after it's all done on friday

is that base trim on the floor now? you won't be able to tuck the carpet underneath if it is....

its the angle of the camera. the trim is actually set off the floor a little under a half inch. the carpet guy has been over already and gave me the spacers to use to pull the trim off the floor..

so i didnt make that mistake, although i ALMOST did.. wont lie

Back