repainting some rsx base wheels

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Not really. You could wet sand them after they've cured. They'll be tacky between coats so don't touch them!

Cleared 2 of the four. Three coats, after they cure I'll wetsand, then lay another coat. It's too hot outside right now to finish the other two.

And, I think I'm going to do the final coat of clear in a booth or in my parent's garage... It's entirely too contaminate prone out here.

i paint all sorts of stuff on my porch. drives amy crazy upstairs :lol:

Ok, wtf. I can't seem to get a decent clear coat laid. It never seems like it's thick enough when I spray it. I put a whole can on the face of one wheel, 30 minutes between coats, 6 coats.

The other wheels are the same way. Should I plan on wet sanding every wheel, then laying a wet coat?

Definetly not. That's weird. How humid is it out there. (I'm guessing its bad with the rains) Clear coat is VERY sensitive to that.

Humidity is 50% relative at 80F and 45% at 75F when I've been spraying.

Clearcoat should be laid fairly heavy. Check the psi on your gun. I assume you followed the mixing instructions and used good products? 3 coats should have been enough.

fucking rain has been horrible. ive been trying to strip/paint/clear some calipers but i cant with all this rain.

my back yard is like a swamp.

Clearcoat should be laid fairly heavy. Check the psi on your gun. I assume you followed the mixing instructions and used good products? 3 coats should have been enough.

rattlecan. :p

I don't have a compressor or a gun.

When I lay this particular clear thick, it changes color to a milky-white. Odly enough, after that section dries it's perfect finish. I might have to just lay a whole can per wheel.

fucking rain has been horrible. ive been trying to strip/paint/clear some calipers but i cant with all this rain.

my back yard is like a swamp.

You can strip in the humid and in the rain. Just put the airplane stripper on pretty thick if it's raining.

i know. i just dont feel like standing out in the rain lol

and when i painted one of them, my 500*F clearcoat turned milky too, finished clear. when i painted some wheels a LONG time ago, the wheels would turn milky again when raining, hope that doesnt happen again...

Last edited:
the stuff i used before? no idea, it was like 5 years ago.

the clear coat i used now is some duplicolor 500*F engine paint.

Back