Reverse "mini-me"

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
ok. i have heard about the mini-me swap for the DX series civics.
it is when u put an si head on the dx motor and change a few wires, plug a few holes and with a few hundred bucks you get around 160hp?
is my understanding correct?

if so, can i do a "reverse mini-me" on my 96 ex coupe? drop in a dx engine and keep my si head? is this plausible? is it worth it?

comments?

reason im asking is that i am the worlds biggest fucking cheap-ass. and figure if what i heard about the mini-me (160hp)
can be done for several hundred, im there.

thanks

umm, no. 160 isn't right trust me. it's around 120-125 if you do it right, which is about what your making now. You can build it pretty mildly to get to hit 160, but it'll take like I dunno 5 hundred bucks. Just go to a U-Pull and find a wrecked 99-00 SI and buy the motor. Or since you are a cheap ass, over a few months make daily trips to the U-Pull slowly dissasembling the B16A2 and putting the parts in your pants and walk out, after a good 6 months you should have it all put back together in your garage.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Mar 25 2003, 10:18 PM
Or since you are a cheap ass, over a few months make daily trips to the U-Pull slowly dissasembling the B16A2 and putting the parts in your pants and walk out, after a good 6 months you should have it all put back together in your garage.

don't give me any good ideas....haha

Ok, what would you be trying to accomplish? The whole reason for a mini-me is to have a non vtec car get more hp by adding a vtec head. It adds about the same power as a full EX engine, but it is a little smaller. There is no cheap way to make a Honda fast without N20, even all the mini-me parts cost about 400.00.

Originally posted by karnash+Mar 25 2003, 10:48 PM-->
TRuggiero_
@Mar 25 2003, 10:18 PM
Or since you are a cheap ass, over a few months make daily trips to the U-Pull slowly dissasembling the B16A2 and putting the parts in your pants and walk out, after a good 6 months you should have it all put back together in your garage.

don't give me any good ideas....haha

We got one of those here, load upp all you can, throw em over the tire wall (too cheap for gates?) Anyways, anytime you need anything for a mid 80's CRX, lude, accord, or ANY mid 80's car for that matter, let me know :)

dude you have to add ZC pistons to up the cr. thats the key to the whole thing. with the zc pistons and rods comp goes up quite a bit and so does your horse power.

hey, i got the point man. i was under the wrong impression about it....

what if i added zc pistons to my ex? would i notice an increase in hp?

i don't really know as everything i have just said could be utter bull shit, but i don't think it is and you would notice the biggest difference once vtec kicked in.

I'd suppose you could add ZC pistons. But don't waste your time. if you take off your head gasket and get a new one, then seperate one of the three layers you should get about 1hp.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Mar 25 2003, 10:24 PM
I'd suppose you could add ZC pistons. But don't waste your time. if you take off your head gasket and get a new one, then seperate one of the three layers you should get about 1hp.

Don't do that. I wouldn't trust a head gasket that's been mutilated and thrown back together again. It's not worth 1hp to toss an extra risk to the life of your engine into the mix.

Dropping ZC pistons into a D16Y8 will give you about 12.6:1 to 12.8:1 compression. You'll get a nice power boost out of that.

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Mar 26 2003, 10:36 AM
what kind of compression would you get out of it in a mini-me set up?

Hmm... I'm not sure, but it'll probably be less than I just stated, although I'm not 100% on that. I don't know the difference between the D15 and D16 block heights off hand.

Removing one of the three layers in your head gasket isn't a horrible thing to do. It's recommended by a lot of trusted engine builders I know. I've done it to every motor I've ever had and never experienced any problems.

Back