Shot and killed my neighbor's pit bull today...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
First off, I live in more or less inner-city Houston. It's a relatively nice neighborhood in the Heights, there are only a few non-English-speakers on my street, and none of the houses in the neighborhood are 'dark'.

The neighbors directly across the street don't speak English, and always leave their front gate open. This wouldn't be THAT big of a deal, except that they have (well, had) a pit bull that looks to be around 180lbs that likes to run all over the neighborhood. I can't say whether or not he's friendly, as he's never approached me before today.

I took off from work a little early, since it's been pretty slow today (what with it being the day after Christmas and all). As I'm pulling into my driveway, I notice that the neighbor's pit bull is, once again, running around the neighborhood. It sees my truck, and starts coming towards my house. I don't know why, but in the back of my mind I had a feeling that something bad was about to happen. I hop out of my truck, and head straight for my front door. I reach into my pocket, and realize 'fuck, my house keys are still in the truck'. I keep my truck key separate from the rest of my keys, because I hate carrying around a big chunk of keys in my pocket - I usually keep my big keyring in my backpack, or lock it in my glovebox, and just carry my truck key in my pocket. I head back to my truck, lean in, and out of the corner of my eye see the pit bull rounding the driver side rear of my truck. I grab my house keys, and at the same time slide my Smith & Wesson 9mm out of my console. I walk calmly back towards my front door (maybe 15 feet from my truck), and turn around as I get to the door. The dog is at the foot of my steps, approximately five feet away from me, snarling and growling and generally looking extremely unhappy. 'GET THE FUCK BACK!' I yell, and the dog lunges forward up the steps towards me. Without thinking, I raise the weapon and squeeze off one shot, aimed at the center of the dog's head. It yelps and falls back down the steps. Before it's done hitting the ground, my phone is out of my pocket dialing 911.

"Yes, I have an emergency, I was just attacked by a very large pit bull on the porch of my own residence, and was forced to use a firearm to defend myself." I gave them my address, informed them that the firearm had been put back in a safe, secured location, and they told me that officers would be at my location shortly.

I remained outside, and by now the neighbors had started walking out. One of them said that she'd seen the dog roaming around all day. My immediate next door neighbors (on my side of the street - the dog came from across the street) said that he'd heard me yell, and then heard the gunshot, and figured out what happened before he even came outside; he, too, had noticed the animal roaming around earlier today.

The police arrived, and I stood in my driveway with both hands in the open where they could clearly see them. 'I am the complainant, I made the 911 call, and my weapon is unloaded and secured in a safe location away from my person.' The cops noticeably relaxed, and two of them came up and searched me. I then proceeded to explain exactly what happened, and they wrote all of it down. By this time a few more LEO's arrived, and began questioning the neighbors - all of whom told them exactly what happened. They heard me yell, and then shortly after they heard a single gunshot. They all acknowledged that the dog had been roaming around most of the day, and on multiple occasions prior. Upon questioning the owner of the dog, she informed the officers (in Spanish, because she didn't speak English) that 'The dog growls at people, but he just doesn't like white boys. He would never attack someone!' One of the officers remarked 'Well, he definitely won't be attacking anyone now.'

The officer in charge walked over to me, informed me that I'd done nothing wrong and had nothing to worry about, and that they needed my weapon in order to record the serial number. I informed them that the weapon was in the center console of my vehicle, and that there is a loaded clip in it but there is not a round in the chamber. They opened my door, took out the weapon, ejected the clip, and wrote down the serial number. They then reinserted the clip and put the firearm back in my center console. Another of the officers informed me that they had just talked to the DA, and that no charges would be brought against me; additionally, the neighbor was being issued a citation for failing to control an animal. Personally, I thought this was a bit excessive; I mean, I just shot and killed their dog on the day after Christmas, in front of her and her kids...but on the other hand, if she had properly cared for the dog and kept him under control in the first place, none of this would have happened. The officer in charge told me again that I had absolutely nothing to worry about, that I was completely in the right, and that if the same scenario happened again that I should respond the exact same way. He wrote down the cause number for me, and told me that if I had any trouble at all that I was to contact them immediately, and for me to not hesitate to do anything that I deemed necessary to protect myself.

I gotta say, in all of my run-ins with HPD, the officers were absolutely polite and courteous, and handled the situation surprisingly well - I fully expected them to be on edge, considering a firearm had been discharged in a residential neighborhood in inner Houston...but they were extremely professional.

I did what I had to do; and while I feel bad for killing an animal, I'd much rather it be the victim than me. I am a bit nervous to see if they retaliate in any way (to my knowledge, the husband/dad isn't home yet - although I've never seen him up close or talked to ANY of that particular household in person); however should they attempt anything less than honorable to get back at me I guarantee that I won't hesitate to do everything in my legal power to ensure the safety of myself and my belongings. Part of me considered going to the animal shelter and paying the $150 adoption fee, and getting them another puppy; although I think at this point, I should just avoid any confrontation at all.

Last edited:
"If it's you or me, it's you" applies to animals just the same as it does people. I just hope there's no long-term repercussions from the owners where it comes down to it being 'you or me' with the person.

I would suggest apologizing and offering to pay the adoption fee before just going out and doing it yourself. Bring a friend, preferably one fluent in spanish, and hope for the best.

that was no pitbull if was really the way u described it.. pit bulls range from 35-65 lbs..

they have pits that size. Because owner was spanish, they tend to feed thier dogs creatine to beef them up.

they have pits that size. Because owner was spanish, they tend to feed thier dogs creatine to beef them up.

Damn Spaniards, and to think this whole time I thought he was talking about a Hispanic family from Mexico or central America.

Shitty situation, but I agree you handled it properly. I also agree with B on how to go about offering the adoption if you feel the need. I'd hate to see long term problems over this.

Them Spaniards ARE sneaky.
Verill: Sneaky Sneaky - YouTube
I get/hear that all the time. I dont look it, but I am 50% Costa Rican. I get called Mexican and Spanish very regularly.

Last edited:

no there isnt... this is an APBT..
23m7w4n.jpg

then there are these things people like to call pit bulls.. which is actually an American Bully

San_Diego_show_063.jpg

Last edited:
American Bulldogs look very similar to Pits, but like EG said, they are big as shit. My friend has one.
civicious said:
Part of me considered going to the animal shelter and paying the $150 adoption fee, and getting them another puppy; although I think at this point, I should just avoid any confrontation at all.
Don't do that. They clearly proved their capacity to raise a dog. No reason another dog should suffer the same fate. The scariest part is that you said they had kids too.

sounds like a shitty situation, calm down and talk to the family, offer the option of adopting another dog, keep things good with the neighboors.....always sucks having problems with the neighboors.

...Good. Fuck yo neighbor's dog! Seriously though, one thing I really hate is dogs that will approach people on their own property and "threaten" them. You're completely in the right and should not have to do anything to justify your actions.

Maybe it's karma for that dog that caused you to wreck, I think your Prelude, last time!

At first glance at the title, i as expecting this to be about a wild beagle...to my surprise, it was a pit bull.....(sarcasm)

you did the right thing, lucky for you, you were armed. what would have happened if you weren't. you'd be on the news as a victim of vicious attack.

And definitely don't offer to get them another dog, they are not responsible enough to own one. And don't feel bad either

It looked exactly like the first picture you posted, but that fucker was huge...

Regardless of what kind of dog it was, it posed an immediate threat, and given the circumstances my only choice was to neutralize it.

I don't care if it's a collie. If your dog is on my property and threatens me you will be one dog lighter.

Good for you for protecting yourself, and don't worry about the neighbors, sounds like they needed an education in the proper care of pets anyways.

I have seen all weights of pit bulls and staffshire terriers (spell?) my friend actually showed them. Most efficient fighting pits are much smaller (~50lbs) but my friend had show winning staffshire terriers who were well over 80lbs.

Some dogs are great dogs even with STUPID owners. Most Pit Bulls need a great owner to make a great dog.

I am glad you had a gun. I would have been SOL and tried to make friends lmao.....hate to see how that would've worked out.

Glad that everyone was able to keep calm, and acted in a professional manner. Skip paying, or even volunteering to pay any kind of adoption fee. They screwed up on raising the last dog, nothing will change for the second. Odds are you'll have to go through this again actually, if they get a second dog.

You protected yourself with a firearm you obviously were proficient with. You were in physical danger while on your own property. Also, you did the right thing when the police showed up.

The system works.

Left this on their porch today, with $150 in it (which is roughly half the cost of the ticket they got).

34pam11.jpg

I am, after all, not a COMPLETE asshole - and I DO have to live across the street from them for the time being.

And on the plus side, the entire neighborhood now knows that I'm armed, and that I won't hesitate to shoot...hopefully that'll deter any would-be shenanigans in the future.

Damn it i dont know spanish! Ha ha

Seriously though thats a shitty position to be in and im glad it worked out the way it did for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back