Sick of parasitic A/C?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

:)

Using peltier technology, two highschool students have found out how to make an A/C system that uses 50% less engery! This could be big....

I've always wondered why someone doesn't make an electric A/C pump for cars. Put another alternator on to support it. Alternators only drain 1HP.. I have seen that dyno proven on a chevrolet and a ford.. And I know honda's are smaller and lighter.

why the hell not?

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jul 25 2005, 02:44 PM
Did some more research. Not quite as nifty as we thought.

The nerds at Slashdot have just a bit to say about this.

So.....it's inventive and clever, for sure. Just doesn't look like it can be used anywhere near efficiently right now.
[post=530918]Quoted post[/post]​

That, and the fact that those chips can only cool to like 20 below the ambient. It's a limitation of the cooling effectiveness. Don't you think that if it were better, it would've been done at least SOMEWHERE? I don't think anyone would want to drive in 120 deg weather if they could only cool their cars down to 100 on the inside.

No peltier has ever come close to 25% efficiency. Running a second Alternator is NOT "just a 1hp rip".

There is math to all this hoo-hah, Check it out.

-> Steve

One thing I CAN say, is that the Electric Turbo charger looks better if you tune their idea..

When used in conjunction with an Optima or 1 farad cap, and perhaps with a little re-gearing (Maybe a tiny CVT?) It's parasitic drag may not be too bad.

All of these things have parasitic drag. Power isn't free.

-> Steve

well, mr. know it all... You must have seen different studies on the amount of horsepower an alternator takes?? It was done in a magazine.. They had a ford engine and a chevy engine. The only accesory on each motor was an alternator. then they dyno'd them repeatedly, with alternator, and without alternator. It was a 1 hp loss on both motors. The whole damned study was to see how much real world power it takes to run an alternator.

yeah, you have added rotating mass, blah blah, but bottom line is, it is a 1 hp loss. seriously man.. I wish I could find that magazine to reference it. Its in a pile of like 1000 magazines. I'm gonna call you captain know it all from here out.

What about the LOAD on the alternator during the tests?

Phase change = infinite heat sink.

That's all there is to it. Peltier = no phase change, still need to cool the hot side, elements are fragile etc.

Neither do my cars (Per se) (No damned A/C)

Remember, Kids (And I mean you phyregod) 750 watts = 1 hp.

-> Steve

well, mr. know it all... You must have seen different studies on the amount of horsepower an alternator takes?? It was done in a magazine.. They had a ford engine and a chevy engine. The only accesory on each motor was an alternator. then they dyno'd them repeatedly, with alternator, and without alternator. It was a 1 hp loss on both motors. The whole damned study was to see how much real world power it takes to run an alternator.

yeah, you have added rotating mass, blah blah, but bottom line is, it is a 1 hp loss. seriously man.. I wish I could find that magazine to reference it. Its in a pile of like 1000 magazines. I'm gonna call you captain know it all from here out.

it may show a loss of 1hp, but what does running an alternator due to the effeciency of the engine...?
it might have to compensate by burning more fuel...

The nerds at Slashdot have just a bit to say about this.

nice link...

Back