Socali Swap Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ZeonZaku

Ok guys, I think this is the place to get the answers I have been looking for. I have read alot of posts, but I wasen't able to find all the stuff I needed so here goes. I live in Cali, and I want a swap that will be as reliable as possible and as quick as possible. I also need something that will be legal. I don't want to have to run around looking to get my car smog checked. I also want to avoid the heat on the Police car checks (saw one go down two weeks ago in Torrance, needless to say Guy was out of a car for a while).

Ok, heres what i need to know

- Can JDM engines be reffed, and smoged in Cali?

- Are the majority of engines swaped in Cali JDM? A shop said no mater what engine swap I get, to make sure if I want it legal to get a USDM engine.

- Do shops try and switch JDM with USDM engines?

If I sound like a fool, or these have been asked before please tell me, or point me in the right direction.

::EDIT:: I have a 96' Civic

Thanks! :worthy:

here's some links for the Cali smog guide
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...t=ST&f=1&t=5102

I'm not in cali, so I'm not sure if JDM Motors are legal, but i know QUITE a few people in cali who have jdm swaps. Again, im not sure if its 100% legit though.

As far as i know, as long as the motor is "the same year or newer" than the chassis, and "all smog equipment on the sotck car, is on the replacement motor" you are legit.
now, the first part of that is fairly easy... but its nearly impossible to tell what year a JDM motor is, as they don't have VIN's.

In my opinion, depending on what type of car you have (you should post this), i would simply go with a USDM 94-95 GSR b18c1 or a b16a3 from a del sol VTEC if you can find one and are on a little more of a budget, or if you have a 6th gen and are on more of a budget, a b16a2 from a 99-00 civic si or a 96-01 GSR.
now, some of the newer cars have built in immobilizers into the ECU's, so I would rather point you in the direction of a 96-98 gsr to be on the safe side. if you get one with an imobilizer, you need to swap ignitions, and some other BS that is just a pain in the ass.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 8 2003, 08:00 AM
here's some links for the Cali smog guide
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...t=ST&f=1&t=5102

I'm not in cali, so I'm not sure if JDM Motors are legal, but i know QUITE a few people in cali who have jdm swaps. Again, im not sure if its 100% legit though.

As far as i know, as long as the motor is "the same year or newer" than the chassis, and "all smog equipment on the sotck car, is on the replacement motor" you are legit.
now, the first part of that is fairly easy... but its nearly impossible to tell what year a JDM motor is, as they don't have VIN's.

In my opinion, depending on what type of car you have (you should post this), i would simply go with a USDM 94-95 GSR b18c1 or a b16a3 from a del sol VTEC if you can find one and are on a little more of a budget, or if you have a 6th gen and are on more of a budget, a b16a2 from a 99-00 civic si or a 96-01 GSR.
now, some of the newer cars have built in immobilizers into the ECU's, so I would rather point you in the direction of a 96-98 gsr to be on the safe side. if you get one with an imobilizer, you need to swap ignitions, and some other BS that is just a pain in the ass.

so cali here. from what im told from my friends out here. JDM cannot be smogged.
altho, i heard that some people put the necessary smog stuff on it and it can be smogged,
BUT

1) i really dont believe that
and
2) even if it was true, all the smog stuff would cost more money and be more of an aggravation.

if ur in the so cali area, email me and ill give u the 411 on shops to stay away from...
had a few friends that had some bad experiences with them...

eg: P_ _ _ _ racing

Thanks I appreciate all the help and good advice.

Originally posted by karnash+Mar 8 2003, 11:05 AM-->
so cali here. from what im told from my friends out here. JDM cannot be smogged.

Nor Cal here..what your friends told you is wrong sorry. It can be smogged. Ive talked with different smog refs and they all have told me yes.

karnash
@Mar 8 2003, 11:05 AM
altho, i heard that some people put the necessary smog stuff on it and it can be smogged,
BUT

1) i really dont believe that
and
2) even if it was true, all the smog stuff would cost more money and be more of an aggravation.

so..
1. It is true
and
2. Its not a pain.

All u have to do is look at a helms and make it match. ITS NOT HARD. I've done it with my h22. The JDM motor isnt that much different at all. I think ive spent... hmmmm $10 to make it match. So the way i look at it is.. $3000 for a USDM h22 swap. OR $1860 For a JDM swap w/ the smog stuff. hmmmmmmmmm a savings of.. $1140.. JDM please.. ty

Back