Something rubbing...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eml1618

Here's the situation:

Noise is coming from the front passengers side wheel.

Reversing: Small squeeling/sqeeking noise that sounds different than going forward

Forward: Light but audible metallic scraping sound that really only occurs when the car is first started and driven for a couple minutes. Then when cornering to the right it comes back for the duration of the turn. Also at speed on the highway it comes back.

As soon as any brake pressure is applied the noise vanishes until brakes are released.

All i could think of was brake sheild but thought i'd get a second opinion incase it could be serious...Thanks!

take a high pressure washer to the brake's, get them good and clean; maybe it will help, as i had the same problem, took a high preressure washer to it and it stopped.

the noise when turning could be a loose power streering belt

No it's def. coming from the brakes on the pass. side and it's a metallic sound, unlike that of a slipping belt...

ok.. just turn the radio up until you cant hear the wear indicator on your brakes. then when you can FEEL the noise too you'll really be in for a treat :lol:

LOL. Too bad it occurs when the brakes are released and not when I'm braking. Anyways, I took off the wheel today and the pad is right up against the rotor with little life left but well before the squeel plate, I'm going to replace the rotors which I've been meaning to do for a while cuz they're scored to shit from the last dumbass that owned the car...

Edit/Addition:

I just talked to one of my friends and he mentioned the wheel bearing (didn't even consider cuz i jumped to a conclusion) and the symptoms mimic that of a failing wheel bearing more closely than that of a brake problem...any additional thoughts?

save it homie- that was your brake sensor going off. i worked in a brake shop longer than you've had pubic hair and its very common for brakes to stop squealing when you apply the brakes. however its not common for a bearing to squeal then stop when you hit the brakes, in fact ive never seen or heard of it. bearings 9 times out of 10 make a groaning noise, like your driving with snow tires or truck tires on. ;)

Hey man...I still don't have pubic hair so jokes on you! :p. I understand where you're coming from with the whole brake pad squeel plate. I had a long ass day and didn't mean to sound sarcastic.

The actual noise is more of a 'hum' (still don't have a good word to describe it). It was different than the wear indicator sounds.

I'm bringing it to a guys shop I know and trust Friday just to have them rule out the bearing (don't want my wheel falling off). Also I'm replacing the rotors and pads (HP+'s, Brembo blanks and Smurff Semen) Saturday. Whatever it ends up being I'll letcha'll know.

Well after taking it in it was a combination of things, the brake pad was making noise and needed replacing, also the wheel bearing was howling and needed replacing as well. This is why it didn't sound like a wear indicator cuz the wheel bearing noise was interfering. Thx everone for their input to the situation.

Back