Stereo wiring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

egsir

Hey stereo gurus:

I had a question on wiring the "system remote" wire to the remote wire for the amp. Do I wire those two together with the power antenna? I have 94 GSR with the antenna that goes up when you turn on the radio. I was wondering if all three wires have to be connected together to function properly? I want my antenna to go up when I turn on the radio. Thanks in advance. B)

Yes you match up the system remote wire to the remote connection on your amp.

There should be a wire marked power atenna off the wiring harness (its usually blue) for your antenna.

However you do not connect all three of the previous mentioned wires together. That will cause your antenna to be up whenever your car is on.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Jul 28 2005, 02:43 PM
However you do not connect all three of the previous mentioned wires together.  That will cause your antenna to be up whenever your car is on.
[post=532439]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope.

Your amp, when connected to the remote wire, powers up and down with the head unit, not the car. as will the antenna.

unless you're running some fucktabulous pawn shop stereo. Then all bets are off.

Thanks for the replies.

Your amp, when connected to the remote wire, powers up and down with the head unit, not the car. as will the antenna.

unless you're running some fucktabulous pawn shop stereo. Then all bets are off.

I am running a flip down pioneer HU that has XM capability. I think it's a entry level stereo, but not fucktabulous pawn shop stereo. haha. Also on the HU, there are no wires for power antenna. Just the ones for ACC, Battery, Ground, speakers, System Remote and that's about it. I am using the wire harness plug in from Best Buy. That one plugs up to the stock integra wire harness. There is a blue wire sticking out for power antenna but I don't know where to hook the wire up to the HU.

Originally posted by dem134@Jul 28 2005, 04:15 PM
the power antena and amp will hook up to the system remote wire from the HU.

M
[post=532508]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

I was thinking of connecting all three wires (system remote, power antenna, and remote for amp.) So I will try that tonight and see if it all works out. One more question. Can you wire two grounds into the same location or touching the same metal?

Originally posted by egsir@Jul 28 2005, 05:05 PM
I was thinking of connecting all three wires (system remote, power antenna, and remote for amp.) So I will try that tonight and see if it all works out. One more question. Can you wire two grounds into the same location or touching the same metal?
[post=532526]Quoted post[/post]​

Dont connect all 3 wires. If your not sure of the connections on the wiring harness from your firewall, go to www.installdr.com, look up your car, and it will tell you what is what (you need adobe acrobat to view the results, they're .pdf files).

Technically you can ground two wires together, but it is not reccomended. Also, if you are talking about grounding the HU, dont ever chassis ground it. If you read your owners manual for the HU, it always states to ground the HU to the harness in the firewall. Grounds are your most important connections. Not a time to cut corners.

Originally posted by egsir@Jul 28 2005, 05:05 PM

that depends on what two grounds you are talking about. Be more specific about the grounds so that we could better help you.

Originally posted by adnoh+Jul 30 2005, 11:14 PM-->
@Jul 28 2005, 05:05 PM
I was thinking of connecting all three wires (system remote, power antenna, and remote for amp.)  So I will try that tonight and see if it all works out.  One more question.  Can you wire two grounds into the same location or touching the same metal?

Dont connect all 3 wires. If your not sure of the connections on the wiring harness from your firewall, go to www.installdr.com, look up your car, and it will tell you what is what (you need adobe acrobat to view the results, they're .pdf files).

Technically you can ground two wires together, but it is not reccomended. Also, if you are talking about grounding the HU, dont ever chassis ground it. If you read your owners manual for the HU, it always states to ground the HU to the harness in the firewall. Grounds are your most important connections. Not a time to cut corners.
[post=533484]Quoted post[/post]​

:ufucktard:

Wire the three together, YES, you can ground stereo components together at the same point. As a matter of fact, it is highly reccomended to prevent "ground loops".. YES, grounds are very important connections.

I don't know what the hell this guy is thinking.
I used to do competition. I've installed 4 competition grade stereo systems, and probably 3 dozen normal ones. I used to do it professionally. Which is why I now wear hearing aids..

first, phyregod is right.

second, i ALWAYS chassis ground my radios. in fact, id like to see you harness ground my old alpine 7894, and my new 9833. in 3 cars, ive tried that to no avail. you turn the sucker up, and it overloads and shuts off at less than 1/2 volume. the harness ground is way too small to push 27x4 TRUE rms.

I wired up everything and the amp works. I was connecting everything and thought why isn't my amp working? I forgot to put the fuse in for the power wire. Duh. Anyway, I grounded my amp and the disc changer to the same piece of metal. It is right behind my back seats. It works fine. No problems yet. Thanks for the help. :lol:

Back