Stupid Question?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tait72

Hope I'm not wasting your time but I was wondering about taking the inner fenders and under bumper valances out of my civic. I mostly drag race it. It's only in the name of saving weight, I'm down to 2090lbs with me in it, plus fuel. Will it hurt aerodynamics or does that even come into play at 110mph which i figure is the highest mph i will trap.
Thx.

Considering it's maybe 5-10 lbs, i'd guess it would do more harm then good.... but interesting question.

Shake it down at the track. run 3 with it on, 3 with it out, average and see :)

Heres a question...

Do you run the car with a headlight assembly out, to get fresh air to the intake?

Removing the inner fenders and bumper skirting would have less effect on aero then the removed headlight does.

Well I didn't get a chance to take the inner fenders out, it was threatening rain and I wanted to get as many passes in as I could.
But the car ran like a champ for what it is went 13.22 @ 99.76.
Plus It pulled two 1.7 60 ft's. Getting the weight out of it really made a huge difference,
I'm gonna off those fenders for next time and see what happens.
Track conditions won't be the same but meh....whatever, not like I'm making 1000hp and running 9's

That time and trap looks like you're running out of power on the top end? Especially if you're pulling 1.7s 60s.

I was outta power before i started lol only makes 206. Seem's like its still pulling though. It did trap a 102mph but its usually 99 or 98

Those times (with those traps) must be on slicks.

I have my plastic inner fenders removed. No issues....except hearing tiny rocks hit the underside of my fenders.

yeah, the mph is a bit on the slow side I think. usually high 13's net the 98 mph window.

13.2 is very quick for all motor though man, congrats.

you need to update your sig :D

Yeah those times are definately on slicks, haven't ran a street tire this year.
Last year it went 13.61 on slicks and a 13.98 on a 185/65/14.
10/4 YES must update sig. lol

Last edited:
No need for 'em. On a drag car, they don't do anything either way. Just one more thing to fall off at speed.

Buddy of mine sent this to my Facebook so I figured why not share.

That lower splash shield helps reduce air drag. No harm in removing the inner fenders though.

Back