Supercharged the FoDo Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
I worked a bit this holiday weekend. But it was all worth it. All 20 frustrating, wrenching hours of it.

I present the 6psi supercharged D16Y8. With it tuned I'll be in the high 14's. Which is huge since I ran high 16's before with just bolt ons. 0-60 is over is seconds faster now. I'm very happy. And I got the kit new, and after buying that and all the extra hoses and fluids I ended up needing, along with some timely tune up parts, I paid under $2150 for everything. Me and my friend, who is a retired mechanic, knocked it out ourselves, with much help from a good walkthrough on H-T.

gallery_42_199_3536.jpg

gallery_42_199_13521.jpg

gallery_42_199_16660.jpg

gallery_42_199_3444.jpg

gallery_42_199_35283.jpg

gallery_42_199_97447.jpg

Winter plans are to pay this thing off, get a better fuel pump, put a cooler thermostat in, get a P28 ecu chipped with a good basemap, and run a 9psi pulley.

Thats pretty cool. The install looks good IMO. I bet its like driving an entirely different car . . . toast any ricers with it yet?

Cant wait to see the vids!

:thumbsup: Thats a very clean looking 4dr and a good install ya got there.

Nice job. I'm thinking of doing the JRSC myself.
Keep up the nice upgrades.

+1 points for KYB's. :D :)

P.S. Holy rubber hoses, Batman! Vacuum line jungle.

I'd personally upgrade the ignition system first. If you have the fuel and air, now you need to burn it. MSD all the way.

OEM ignition is good for 200+ hp. I bought a heat range colder set of spark plugs. That should be good enough for now.

Very nice! I want to see dyno numbers whenever you get a chance to strap the sucker down. Make sure to get a baseline before you start tuning, if it's safe to do so.

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 7 2005, 10:00 PM
Very nice! I want to see dyno numbers whenever you get a chance to strap the sucker down. Make sure to get a baseline before you start tuning, if it's safe to do so.
[post=551098]Quoted post[/post]​

I really really don't see the big deal with numbers. I know the car is substantially faster. Why waste $100/hr on a dyno when no one here in MT could tune it? Screw hp numbers. I'm sure I've got ~150whp but I know I'm faster than 215hp 5.0's (really, only 195 whp) and Si's, and that's all I was concerned with.

Originally posted by Prowler@Sep 7 2005, 10:24 PM
I really really don't see the big deal with numbers. I know the car is substantially faster. Why waste $100/hr on a dyno when no one here in MT could tune it? Screw hp numbers. I'm sure I've got ~150whp but I know I'm faster than 215hp 5.0's (really, only 195 whp) and Si's, and that's all I was concerned with.
[post=551154]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, I've driven tons of cars, and compared to their dyno curves- you can tell a LOT about how a car will feel by looking at the dyno chart. It's just a curiosity thing for me, because I haven't seen many SOHC SC Civics at all. If you're ever in Texas anywhere near Houston or Dallas, I could probably hook you up with a dyno pull or two. :)

you started with a fodo accord to a mustang to a pimp fodo civic... keep up the good work

Originally posted by EGProject@Sep 6 2005, 09:30 PM
P.S. Holy rubber hoses, Batman! Vacuum line jungle.
[post=550422]Quoted post[/post]​

+1.

You should tune it. Not so much for the numbers, but for the health of your engine.

I'm sure that he's going to tune it- just not necessarily on a dyno. You don't need a dyno to get your air/fuel ratios in line.

I just dynoed mine....JRSC DOHC ZC. Put down 159 whp and we tuned it to 165 whp. This was with two box fans blowing on the motor. This dyno didn't even have any of the large turbo fans that they usually use. After about 6 runs my supercharger was pretty heat soaked so I coulda had closer to 170 whp. After tuning we ended up raising the rev limiter from 7500 rpm to 7700 rpm and the engine ended up making peak power at 7500 rpm. That is not only more peak power, but more power going into the next gear as well.

I would definately like to buld up to rev over 7.5k. I know there's so much more pull left in each gear, but I'm sure my stock valves and springs wouldn't be up for that fast of revving.

Originally posted by Prowler@Sep 8 2005, 11:23 PM
I would definately like to buld up to rev over 7.5k. I know there's so much more pull left in each gear, but I'm sure my stock valves and springs wouldn't be up for that fast of revving.
[post=551730]Quoted post[/post]​

Your s/c will just drain more power at those RPM's. Better to shift to the low ones where your torque will really kick in.

Back