Temporary loss of power

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ZCpowerdSI

Hey. When i was driving my 91 si hatch (DOHC ZC swap) the other day, i raced a civic si coupe with a d16z6, and beat him. then a bit down the road my car all of a sudden starts diying out. complete loss of power, car starts bogging out when i give it gas. the car starts rumbling. pull over check it out and it idles good, rev it a little, no problem. then start going again starts doing it again. the motor hasn't givin me any problems yet. i did the swap myself about 4-5 months ago. i didnt drive the car the day after that. today when i was on the highway about a 25 minute drive it did it once but barely. i parked it, and went to class and when i drove it after class no problems. anyone have any ideas??

brand new NGK's just yesterday.. thts what i thought it was.. i dont think its the wires but i'll try some new ones. thanks

Was it raining the day you did this? And if so do you have a cold air intake that runs down infront of your tire?

and this morning on my way to school it did it again around the same area on the highway. but it barely did it.

check your wires there should be a spec ohm reading for them. and check your cap and rotor. if all those are good look into your fuel filter. I suppose that it could be your injectors clogged, If you get some try and find justice brothers(jb) injector cleaner. best I have found. But I would check those wires, cap, and rotor.

I had this same problem on my Prelude when I first got it. I took the dizzy cap off, and found that the rotor was LOOSE! It would be on most of the time, but sometimes it would get off a bit, and then the car would stall completely out on me. Sometimes it would fire up after cranking for a while, sometimes it would backfire while trying to start it.....It was the weirdest thing.

Another thing.....have you replaced your fuel pump? I also had a similar problem when going around a left curve when less than 1/4 tank of gas. The fuel pick up is too high in the tank...I haven't bothered to lower it, or look at it....I just keep it above 1/4 tank. It will stall out when it is low, and then fire up and drive fine....as long as I don't do left hand sweepers with the low fuel level.

Another thing....check the battery terminal connections.....I THOUGHT that mine were tight.....I found out the hard way that they weren't. (with that, check the grounds to the engine too).

Cheers!

Ya I'd try the plug wires, do you have stock or aftermarket wires?

About two years ago I had some trouble with my car sputtering and it was the plug wires. They were taylor and they looked fine but I replaced them with stock wires and the car has been running great since.

I have ngk wires. but i'll change them and see what happends, the dizzy is brand new but i'll check it out, and im gonna change the fuel filter, and clean out the injectors. as of today the car is worse than ever. i havn't had the time. but im gonna get to it and i'll let you guys know.. Thanks everyone

Back