the new super mario bros

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
I had some time to kill today while hanging out at linhs parents so on my way there I picked up a used copy of the new super mario bros.

This game rocks!

So nice to once again have a legit 2d game.

Anyone with a DS should check it out.

a friend of mine just bought an old school refurb SNES.. He brought it over and we played super mario brothers for a few hours.. that game still kicks ass.

My brother has an original nintendo with the original SMB3, along with an SNES with the mario all stars game. I love those games.

So how is the DS? I have seriously considered getting either a PSP or a DSi as of late and am still on the fence.

Keep in mind, the new super mario bros is a whole new game.

As to the DS VS PSP... look into the games you want to play. the PSP has more options for hacking and making it into a really cool device, however the DS is just straight up a simple easy to use game system.

Only issue I have with the DS is no analog pad and also I have pretty small hands for a guy, yet the DS still hurts my hands from being too cramped after short less then long gaming. I feel bad for larger hand guys.

you can purchase a flash cart that allows you to plug in SDHC? cards that you have an OS and games on. i use NDSTT, i'll never but another DS game again. they havent figured out a solution for the DSi yet though.

NES emulator with real NES controllers modified to connect to serial ports = win.
(usb would be even better)

Disclaimer: The information regarding hacking a Nintendo DS or Playstion PSP is intended to run homebrew apps, which are 3rd party software and not official and in such is no way or form consenting or encouraging the usage of illegal obtained ROMs.

it depends on what youre looking for. DS is plain out for gaming but the PSP can run movie, music and other media. both systems are incredibly easy to run homebrew on. the DS/DSi only needs a simple flash cart.

i HIGHLY recommend getting either an acekard 2i ($13) which works for the DS and DSi or cycloDS ($55). i chose the acekard because of its price; the cycloDS has a couple of extra features like live save and such but doesnt warrant the extra $40. both communities are very active in updating firmware. if you chose the acekard, load AKAIO onto and you're golden.

the difference between the DS and DSi are substantial. the DSi has an integrated cam, faster processor, bigger screen and supports WPA where as the DS is WEP wifi. however, it gets rid of the GBA cart and costs $50-60 more than the original lite version. check gbatemp for more info.

the PSP is also very easy to run homebrew. all you need is someone with a modded PSP and you can load custom firmware on to. or you can buy the components. you need a magicstick pro duo with jigkick loaded and a pandora battery. one thing to note is, there are different versions that have different hardward such as mobo. thusly, some will be more difficult to mod. check psp-scene for details.

lastly, all these parts can be purchased from dealextreme. they are a company that is based in HK so the parts TAKE FOREVER, like 3-4 weeks, but they cost a lot less than US based companies and they always deliver. just be patient.

PS i have and know a lot of people who have both systems and byfar the DS gets played more often than the PSP.

Are you aware that they're coming out with a New Super Mario Bros. game for the Wii also? Apparently it will be a lot like the DS game (side-scrolling platformer, etc.) but multiple people will be able to play at once...

i wonder if it will utilize the virtual console controller... i dont know about you guys but i hate the mario party games.

Are you aware that they're coming out with a New Super Mario Bros. game for the Wii also? Apparently it will be a lot like the DS game (side-scrolling platformer, etc.) but multiple people will be able to play at once...

It fits the DS so well, no reason to port it to the wii, it will be yet another meh looking game on a large screen. better yet, it will be another port of a game that they already have with some minor "cool" controller tricks.

So how does cycloDS work? do you just copy roms to the memory stick and it lets you select them? can you run TG16, SNES NES and other system games on it?

basically its a slot-1 card that looks like a DS game. you buy a microsd card plug it into the computer. you load the OS and firmware with the appropriate folders. you load the roms and place it in the folders and then just take it out and plug it into the slot-1 card. then all files will be listed according to which folder is open. very very easy to use.

to make sure of the best compatibility for games to run a fullspeed, use class-6 cards from either kingston or sandisk. kingston seems to be better for certain games.

again, i cant warrant getting a cyclods over an acekard. it does have a better build quality but myself and other friends have used R4s and such for over 2 years and non have fallen apart. but to each their own.

ive had one NDSTT that stopped working. the second one ive had for a good while with no problems.

34702e224e0352ab8797d4381017e60f.image.300x300.jpg

ive had one NDSTT that stopped working. the second one ive had for a good while with no problems.

34702e224e0352ab8797d4381017e60f.image.300x300.jpg

I personally have the R4DS (which, when I got it was super expensive and hard to come by... now they're easy to find and cheap!) I have a 2g micro SD card in the adapter and have pretty much all the DS games (US, Japan, Euro, etc) downloaded. I usually have about 20-30 games loaded on it at a time... Great little device and makes traveling with the DS & games so much easier.

http://www.r4ds.cn/

Some favorites...

Picross
Puzzle Quest
Animal Crossing
Super Mario Bros
Mario Kart
Metroid Pinball
Brian Age

It fits the DS so well, no reason to port it to the wii, it will be yet another meh looking game on a large screen. better yet, it will be another port of a game that they already have with some minor "cool" controller tricks.

Oh, it's not a port. It's a completely new game designed for the Wii. New levels, new story, everything...

Back