Here we go again.... ditching the genesis.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You guys are talking about 2 different things. Financing everything so you can keep up with the Joneses, and responsibly using credit.

One is smart, the other is not so smart.

vetteguy you always seem so argumentative lol. You can both be right. It's ok.

But back to the original topic, I too would just fix the Genesis at this point. Clearly you won't be able to find something at a reasonable price point with all the bells and whistles you want, and it's almost paid off sorta kinda.

Not being argumentative, im just saying that financing is not a bad thing at all....I'd rather have monthly payments and keep my cash in case of emergencies rather then just thrown down 20-30k on something and then be out of cash.

I don't see any advantages of paying anything in cash...unless your a felon on the run and you want to be off the radar

Especially when car loans are 1.25% from my credit union.... inflation is higher. I would actually LOSE money by buying it in cash. wrap your brain around that one!

Having no car payment is a great thing. Only bad thing for me is that we will both need new cars around the same time.

But yes, vette missed my point and talked about an entirely different topic.

The second point is, if you're a financially responsible adult, putting down $20-30k as an adult doesn't leave you broke.

I sensibly use a credit card and take the free payment terms and cash back.

That is an entirely different conversation from purchasing a vehicle that you can't currently cover. That is the exact opposite of using a credit card responsibly. If you are using a card responsibly, then you can always cover your balance in full and on time.

Using credit intelligently is not the same as taking on a 60 month car payment on a depreciating asset when he can just as easily fix his car or buy a vehicle that is 2-3years old and allow someone else to eat the depreciation upfront.

At the dealership now getting the 45k service and having them look at the wheel as well...

I win moron of the day award.

Apparently, there's a spacer/hub concentric ring or something from my snow wheels that basically got stuck on the hub of the car... i never noticed it on the snows. I guess it kinda wedged itself in the little crack that exists on the face of the hub mount area so it only sticks out on one side... hence the wobble and inability to mount flat.

I also apparently cross threaded a stud in the process of blasting it on with the impact gun. lol getting the stud replaced too.

This is why i shouldn't work on cars.

10 bucks says the dealership put the lug back on with an impact....

Everyone might know that you're not supposed to do it, but it doesn't stop us all from doing it if we have an air compressor.

I blasted it on over and over again to try to get it to sit right and then retorqued it 10 times after driving a few blocks. at least the wheel didn't fall off.
$50 mistake for the stud, lug, and labor. oh well.

i 'll take the car out on the highway later today and see how it feels at higher speeds (where the vibration was more noticeable)

I've got one, and I'll take them off with it at times but never back on. Tire iron is usually in the car anyway.

I break them loose manually, then take my 18 volt impact driver to get the lug nuts off. I then thread them a little by hand then put them on with the impact driver. The impact driver gets them tight but not too tight . When back on the ground tighten up with the wrench.

yeah i agree with that method... a weaker battery powered impact will snug the lugs while the car is in the air and doesnt really get them that tight. Then you lower it down and torque it by hand.

I always hand tighten... But I don't have an impact either :p

The accord sport(practically base but has manual) is actually pretty quick if I recall. Like low 15 second 1/4. Very good looking car to me as well.

I've got this car in my garage, and it might be the best all around DD out there. I can get 38mpg cruising on the interstate, and I get 28mpg average on my 6 mile, lead foot laden commute. The thing is super quiet at speed, has a ton of space, looks great for a cheap 4 door, and is super comfy. Not to mention it runs on 87, and is super cheap to maintain. It's no sports car, but it handles, and steers very well. I'd believe low to mid 15's. It's decently quick. The only thing I'd change is shorter gearing. It goes 35 in 1st, 60 in 2nd, and 95 in 3rd. It's just way too tall. The car would feel so much more sporty if 3,4,5 were shorter.

But yes, vette missed my point and talked about an entirely different topic.

The second point is, if you're a financially responsible adult, putting down $20-30k as an adult doesn't leave you broke.

I sensibly use a credit card and take the free payment terms and cash back.

That is an entirely different conversation from purchasing a vehicle that you can't currently cover. That is the exact opposite of using a credit card responsibly. If you are using a card responsibly, then you can always cover your balance in full and on time.

Using credit intelligently is not the same as taking on a 60 month car payment on a depreciating asset when he can just as easily fix his car or buy a vehicle that is 2-3 years old and allow someone else to eat the depreciation upfront.

Again you live in some fake ass fantasy world....only the upper 1% have $20k-$30k cash to pay for something with enough left over not to leave them with no savings

According to American Family Financial Statistics..as of 12/26/2013...The average American house hold has $3800 in a savings account. 25% of Families have no savings at all. So the AVERAGE American cannot put down $20,000 on a purchase. That's why there is financing.

I am sure Brian can afford the repairs on his car, he just doesn't want to spend the money or didn't think it was worth it. And if he decided to buy a new car, according to you he is a moron because you are indicating that anyone who buys a new car over a 60 month term is using credit unintelligibly. 99% of assets you buy depreciate, not sure what your point on that was.

I've got this car in my garage, and it might be the best all around DD out there. I can get 38mpg cruising on the interstate, and I get 28mpg average on my 6 mile, lead foot laden commute. The thing is super quiet at speed, has a ton of space, looks great for a cheap 4 door, and is super comfy. Not to mention it runs on 87, and is super cheap to maintain. It's no sports car, but it handles, and steers very well. I'd believe low to mid 15's. It's decently quick. The only thing I'd change is shorter gearing. It goes 35 in 1st, 60 in 2nd, and 95 in 3rd. It's just way too tall. The car would feel so much more sporty if 3,4,5 were shorter.

Here is the Car and Driver Article on it.

Back