Thoughts on Anwr?

to drill or not to drill

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sell me your Insight. I've been trying to buy one but none available. :(

Although, my 88 Civic gets ~57mpg hwy/~41mpg average...it's not comfortable.

Also, whatever happened to that algae thing?

unfortunately i stuffed the Insight under an Xterra a little over a year and a half ago :(

and the "algae thing", im guessing is the thread dacheat started, is still in development (although probly a lot closer and a lot cheaper than finding new places to drill setting up drill rigs, transporting it from these remote ass areas, etc...)

and the "algae thing", im guessing is the thread dacheat started, is still in development (although probly a lot closer and a lot cheaper than finding new places to drill setting up drill rigs, transporting it from these remote ass areas, etc...)

You're suggesting that setting up a brand new infrastructure for a new energy source would happen sooner than putting new oil wells online? I don't think you realize how close ANWR is to Prudhoe Bay, where the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System begins. The resources of the oil corporations are almost limitless. You could give them a 3 month deadline to begin production, and with that much money waving in there faces, they'd make it happen.

You're suggesting that setting up a brand new infrastructure for a new energy source would happen sooner than putting new oil wells online? I don't think you realize how close ANWR is to Prudhoe Bay, where the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System begins. The resources of the oil corporations are almost limitless. You could give them a 3 month deadline to begin production, and with that much money waving in there faces, they'd make it happen.
bet you'd see a shit ton of mexicans in alaska

The biggest problem with drilling is the short term gains are 7-10 years out and it doesn't decrease our dependence on oil, just on foreign markets. This solution is short term, and short term in extreme. It doesn't look past how oil is a scarce resource and our thirst for it isn't subsiding.

The only possible way for the world to actually make the switch to alternative energy sources is for every drop of oil on the planet to be burned. It's sad, but that's the reality we face.

The biggest problem with drilling is the short term gains are 7-10 years out and it doesn't decrease our dependence on oil, just on foreign markets. This solution is short term, and short term in extreme. It doesn't look past how oil is a scarce resource and our thirst for it isn't subsiding.

That's the thing about it though, no one's arguing against your point anymore. Yes, it's a temporary solution. Yes, it doesn't get us off of oil, it just decreases our dependence on foreign oil. The point is, we don't have a viable alternative energy source at the moment, so anything that can help keep fuel prices bearable until then is probably a good idea...

The only possible way for the world to actually make the switch to alternative energy sources is for every drop of oil on the planet to be burned. It's sad, but that's the reality we face.

Right because everything has been built to run on oil for how many years? You realy cant change over night.

Right!! There's no instant gratification in this world that relies heavily on the production of oil. But this is a finite planet. People use oil faster then the earth can create it and one day that oil will dry up, and by using oil we pollute the air we breathe and the air that every other living thing, including the forest that create the air we need to survive. In order to protect ourselves we have to protect the very things that nurture our way of life. Just like a man who owns land will protect that land from intruders, nature will protect itself from those that abuse it's life and take for granted what it has to offer us. We are part of the planet, the planet is not part of us. It would be far worse to not be prepared for the worst. But shit who am I?? Just another person who uses gas like everyone else. Hopefully I won't be around for any of that.

Last edited:
That's the thing about it though, no one's arguing against your point anymore. Yes, it's a temporary solution. Yes, it doesn't get us off of oil, it just decreases our dependence on foreign oil. The point is, we don't have a viable alternative energy source at the moment, so anything that can help keep fuel prices bearable until then is probably a good idea...

Also a good point. We do need solutions now before people can't afford to make their commute to work. I myself am on the verge of quitting my job due to the crazy expense. I have a 105 mile round trip commute every day, I do try to keep my fuel consumption at a minimum though. Especially during this time of year, I get to ride my Buell around as much as I can and the weather so far hasn't been too unbearably hot for that.

Have any of you read the USA today paper today?, "chevron CEO " has announced they have found one of the biggest crude hull's ever!, , but it requires off coast drilling. and the crude is over 1000 ft under water, which will be very costly, so the need for anwar drilling is not so urgent. , but the bad news is it will take 3 to 4 years to get to the crude and start pumping it . but the biggest issue is getting it to port. , but congress has to first approve off coast drilling , ( which the most likely will), the oil has been located in the gulf though.. the biggest concerns are what will happen to the beautiful Florida beaches. so they will have to take extensive precautions as to not disturb the sea life. , " MY opinion is drill for the crude, But we have to take extensive precautions so they don't destroy the beautiful Florida coastline, and the sea life that thrives on the natural habitat that is provided in the area's that are proposed drill sites", but the best news is this is the largest crude oil field discovered.

I think it's funny how you all chalk up the fact that oil exploration has been severely limited to an accidental oversight. Like, woops we forgot to look for new oil, guess with the limited supply we'll have to charge you out the ass and make a shitload of money, our bad!

Why is it a good idea to have low fuel prices?

To me this is like a prisoners dilemma.

I want low fuel prices. But I don't want the demand to be high if they go down. People will drive more if they go down and the environmental impact will be greater. Something I don't want. But am I willing to pay high prices, to lower the demand and to find alternative energy sources?

It's a difficult game, because the US could easily find alternative energy sources if they worked hard enough and directed the efforts and subsidies places on oil on other items. But that's a dream world and something I know the married government won't ever glimpse at.

cars and gas aside--- hear this out.

you have a job making 40k a year... probably an average salary for a working class person.

imagine renting a place for 600 a month.

4.89 for fuel oil this winter. i paid 2.59 last year.
to keep my house at 55-58 degrees is going to cost me 4500 instead of 2000 like it did last winter.
and that's 55-58.
most people who have young kids or whiny g/fs who are always cold and run it at 68 or more.... are going to end up spending 5-10 gand on fuel oil for this winter alone.

10 grand / 5 months (nov, dec, jan, feb, march) = 2 grand a month.

aka, 100% of a person making 40k a year take home salary.

they can't afford to stay warm, let alone pay their rent, eat, or drive to work!

This winter, you need to make 40k a year TO HEAT YOUR HOME at 68 degrees.

civil war is upon us.
Seriously.

shit left and right is going to start getting robbed. banks, stores, gas stations, your civic... you name it.

the environment has NOTHING to do with this.

people are going to go crazy come novemeber.

I gotta go downtown and finish my CCP permit paperwork and stock up on some ammo.

the zombies are coming this winter... cold, hungry, and pissed off

Jeebus, you people need to insulate your houses better or something. I went through a stretch of -40 F this year and still only used 300 gallons all winter. Thats like 1400 bucks. I think your mathematisations may be a little confuserated.

IMO, price gouging has been a big problem for a long time. i know a gas station owner in the area that basically increases the price when profits are up; and if they stay up, the price goes up more. it doesn't take a fuel delivery to change the price of gas at his stations, and the price varies from one side of town to the other.

also, people want a change, they want lower gas prices, and any time the gas prices go down at all, they all fill up and speed off; completely ignoring the fact that if they use more gas the price is only going to go up again. most people don't think of the bigger problem, they only think "i better hurry up and get it before it goes up again." and that makes it go up!

for now, we're in a losing battle when it comes to gasoline. if the price goes down, people will use more of it, and then the price will just go up. the oil companies are making absurd profits and will continue to do so for as long as they can.

i personally believe that personal windmills and commercial windmills are good resource to supplement other means of electric production. and as far as nuclear power goes, it's all good and well, but let's not forget about nuclear waste. [although, i have read in popular science recently that there are people trying to use bacteria or something to reuse uranium or what-have-you several times(at a loss of production each time of course)]

and, on the ethanol front, they say it can be made from plant waste as well. i think it would be much better to scrape up the leftover stalks and whatnot to supplement ethanol production. ethanol is a decent fuel, just not something that's going to fix everything.

oh, i also read that there are scientists trying to develop microbes that turn sugar into gasoline. which is something i've thought about for a long time considering how similar their compounds are.

and, as far as ANWR goes, i say drill it, but make sure it doesn't end up in the wrong hands. we need to make sure that some middle eastern company, or any other non domestic company for that matter, doesn't somehow get their hands on the refineries or oil. the US economy needs to get all it can out of it if it gets drilled.

First riot/uprising in my town and Im going down to the gun shop and walking out with some M16s, a 50cal machine gun (yes they have one) and as much ammo as my Civic can carry, and lots of non-parishable food form the grocery store. Shit is really going to get nasty in the next few years and Ill be ready for it.

Back