throttle body upgrade?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

raceinspiredrex

i was wondering what would be a direct replacement throttle body for our cars. with the stock obd0 and not really doing any other modification. i've heard an obd0 ls throttle body will work, but nothing really specific. what models did they come in? let me know what you guys know. thanks a lot

Not sure what you are trying to put the throttle body on but I would assume OBD0 LS means 90-93 Integra LS. Meaning, that is the only model it could be.

sorry i should've made that more clear. i'm talking about a 88 crx si. i'm looking for something with stock plugs and what not so it's just plug and play, that's bigger of course and will be more of an upgrade but still oem

all B, D, H, F series throttle bodies are interchangeable.. some have the MAP mounted on top of the TB though.

i'd find an OBD1 JDM b16 throttle body... 60mm.. that a 5mm gain over stock

but all of the plugs won't match up, correct? i don't even know what to search for to research this topic. i know they're all interchangeable, but what about all of the plugs and whatnot? thanks

plugs should be the same, if not.. use the TPS off your current TB

plugs should be the same, if not.. use the TPS off your current TB
The TPS will plug right in, and so will the map sensor. OBD0 TBs have the map on the firewall and a vaccum hose that connects the two. OBDI TBs have the map mounted directly on the TB. If you get an OBDI TB the only thing you will have to do is lengthen the map sensor wires to reach to reach to the TB.

oh alright, i didn't know all of that. i've found throttle body size charts but they don't show if they're obd1 or anything, or what cars they can be found on. does anybody know of a chart that has all of that information? if not, what's the easiest and best throttle body to upgrade to? what's the bore size? and what cars can they be found on? thanks a lot everybody

the only throttle bodies that bolt right onto the 88 CRX Si are the 88-91 D16A6, 88-91 JDM DOHC/SOHC ZC and 88-89 Integra D16A1 - those throttle bodies are all the same - everything else has a different bolt pattern (only three bolts line up) - to get a larger throttle body that fits, you will need to swap intake manifolds - you could send yours to Maxbore and get it bored out:

Maxbore.com throttle body boring service

The throttle body should be appropriately matched to the intake/exhaust manifolds and cam profiles of your motor. If your stock still, upgrading it really won't make a difference. Same can be said for adjusting when vtec kicks in. Stock motor = stock settings. If you've modified internals, your much better off without the vafc still and using something like hondata or crome to tune and realize the full potential.

that's good to know that only 3 holes fit. i should've stated that i'm using a y8 manifold from a 2000 civic ex obd2. either way though, i was told that basically any throttle body will bolt up to this. i'm looking into a jdm obd0 b16 throttle body which is 60mm

the only throttle bodies that bolt right onto the 88 CRX Si are the 88-91 D16A6, 88-91 JDM DOHC/SOHC ZC and 88-89 Integra D16A1 - those throttle bodies are all the same - everything else has a different bolt pattern (only three bolts line up) - to get a larger throttle body that fits, you will need to swap intake manifolds - you could send yours to Maxbore and get it bored out:

Maxbore.com throttle body boring service

you sure about that? .. last time i checked the bolt pattern was the same for D, B, H and F series engines

you sure about that? .. last time i checked the bolt pattern was the same for D, B, H and F series engines
this is D16A6 throttle body:

SiTB.jpg

this is D16Z6 throttle body:

z6tb.jpg

this is B18A1 throttle body:

B18A1TB.jpg

Last edited:
So, based off eg6's find, and with the exception of the sensors, as long as the TB is the same size or bigger than the stock/regular application then it could be used as an alternative to the stock one in the event that it needed to be replaced as a quick fix?

Just want to clarify. If this is indeed true, then I can fix my car easier than I thought...

i'm tryin to confirm this as well.. i'm almost positive they're all the same...

but anyways.. the OP said he's using a y8 manifold.. so b16 throttle body should be fine if its just the a6 manifold that has the different pattern...

Back