Timing belt question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allmotord16rex

I have a DOHC ZC and I was just inspecting my timing belt because I am thinkin about goin turbo. Well, I looked at it and on the left side the belt is being worn down pretty badly. It is about 1/8th of an inch wide and it goes around the complete built. Has anyone ever seen this before. Is it from my timing belt cover or is something down in the timing cover are rubbing it. I am goin to put a new timing belt on and I need to identify the problem.

Well it's either a very old belt that is about at the end of it's life... or if it's a relatively young belt, the belt was either defective or installed wrong...

The first replacement timing belt on my Si was poorly installed or defective. Literally it was done one day, and the next I was on a 1100 mile road trip to Atlanta. I was getting poor gas mileage (ran out of gas once where I shouldn't have) and there was a slight knocking during acceleration. I called the mechanic from the road and he suggested it was due to buying cheap gas. So I get home with 2300 miles on my new belt... and insisted that the dealership check my new timing belt. They didn't want to, but I prevailed. And so it turned out that my belt was nearly shredded... they almost owed me an engine rebuild. As it was, several hours later, I left with a replaced timing belt for free. I didn't push to find out if it was a bad install or just a defective belt. As long as my car was happy and I didn't have to pay for it, that was good enough with me. So that is my experience with a bad timing belt. Otherwise, I never forget to change them on schedule or earlier.

Originally posted by allmotord16rex@Sep 20 2004, 02:27 PM
It is about 1/8th of an inch wide and it goes around the complete built. Has anyone ever seen this before... is something down in the timing cover are rubbing it.
[post=392654]Quoted post[/post]​

:yes:
this happened to me, check it out ASAP

Originally posted by B16+Sep 20 2004, 05:57 PM-->
allmotord16rex
@Sep 20 2004, 02:27 PM
It is about 1/8th of an inch wide and it goes around the complete built. Has anyone ever seen this before... is something down in the timing cover are rubbing it.
[post=392654]Quoted post[/post]​

:yes:
this happened to me, check it out ASAP
[post=392671]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, what was the problem with it? How did you correct it? Was something rubbing on it down inside the timing cover? By the way, the belt probably has around 70k miles on it and it is being damaged on the top of the built. This leads me to believe it is my cam cover, especially since the debris from the belt is in the cam gears. Any suggestions?

lol, i quoted exactly what it was i found... your answer was there.
inside the timing cover, a small bolt had fallen out and was rubbing between the timing cover and the belt down at the crank pulley. i would highly suggest checking this out before starting the car again.

Could the tensioner pulley be causing this. It makes a whirring noise when the engine is running? I will check to see if something is down in there though.

Just change the belt, when you have all of the covers off, check for bolts etc. Change the tensioner pulley while you are at it, they are pretty cheap.

After that you should be okay, just check it out often at first to make sure you didn't miss something.

Well at 70K it was getting close to the time when your timing belt was due to be replaced... how many YEARS since it was last done though. These belts age. Since this belt is not original to the engine, perhaps the person who did the last install didn't replace the tensioner pulley with a new one. Good thing that you pulled the cover to look at it...

genrally it will happen when some thing gets inside the timing chain like bolts or other things like people have states.. also if your tensioner is not proper put on can cause uneven wearing of ur timing belt

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 12 2004, 12:12 PM
60k is the first service for honda timing belts. 100k for the 2nd.
i'd go for a 3rd around 140k
[post=401598]Quoted post[/post]​

Is that recommendation since he wants to go turbo or is it a DOHC thing? Otherwise, are you saying that the replacement timing belts are only good for 40K miles? I've always heard to change them every 90K (or 70K under severe driving conditions for a B-series engine) miles or six years.

dealers recommend every 90k or 6 years.. but only you as the driver would know heh if you drive norm then yea . but if u like to ride ur car then what he sais goes heh

I think that 90k miles is only for new cars. Late model cars need new ones every 60k miles. Also the harder you are on the car the less mileage you should go before a new belt.

Ben

Back