To get or not to get TURBO

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rdog

Here I am dreaming about putting a corvette to shame with my little daily driver rice burner. Maybe making that kind of hp is out of my price range or what. I have a b16a obd0 that is virtually stock besides (flywheel, exhaust, and other minor stuff) So my question is, what is the most reliable and affordable way to boost my hp. Is it a turbo?? I found this on ebay JDM 89 90 91 92 Civic SIR 1.6L B16 B16A T3/T4 Turbo Kit on eBay.ca (item 380274796441 end time 11-Oct-10 15:42:19 EDT) I wonder if the price reflects the quality. And if it does would this still do what I need it to. If the turbo or something wrecks in this setup will my whole motor be shot. Could a turbo be set up to boost my fuel mileage?? alot of questions i know I'll stop now and hopefully someone can prevent me from wasting money or help me boost my hp :driver2:

In general, you get what you pay for.

You can smoke a vette once for $1k.
You can smoke a vette at will for $10k

Reliability and DD comes into play.

Price generally reflects quality, but there are exceptions if you look hard enough.

If the turbo wheels come apart they go INTO your engine. Not good.

Boost fuel mileage, yes- if you tune it right.

Yup I had not planned on dumping my savings into my car but I would be willing to dump maybe 1k now and slowly spend more(that way it don't feel like as much if i drag it out. And I'm wondering has anyone tried one of these ebay turbo kits or know of anyone that has?

The thing I'm worried most about in the ebay kit is the turbo. Because if that flys apart than my whole motor could be shot. Maybe I should buy the piping kit on ebay and buy a name brand turbo. But there goes my budget build I guess. Or maybe i'll go to an auto wrecker and rip off some factory turbo.

you could easily buy it and then replace the turbo before install, but I've heard that almost all of the time the down pipe doesn't fit right (to low or to high to the ground)

Hello, my name is Nicole and I'm a Boost Addict...
Sorry.
SHOULD you boost your car? YES. Should you use an Ebay turbo? NO. As always- you get what you pay for. In my opinion, save up the extra- buy a VERY good turbo, don't over-boost, get it tuned right, and take less of a chance of having to replace your motor. I do agree that you could probably get away with the intercooler kit off of ebay. Check Craigslist (or make a search post) for a turbo. You would be suprised just how many people have them laying around in their shops.

"Smoking a Vette" is a pretty generic term... If you want something cheap run nitrous,
I ran a wet 75 shot for over 3 years with the same setup you mentioned above. I would spend the money on a wet nitrouse kit for about 500 or less, run a 2 step colder NGK plug with MSD.

Just curious what car is this a CRX?

Oh and by the way, I've seen an "ebay special" turbo setup ran on a semi-built single cam run in the 11's on pumped gas and street tires. There are several pple that have write ups on the shitty ebay turbo's that are sold, basically it sounds like the turbo needs a oil like regulator and re-torqued center sections. Maybe at the worst some different seals, if you can get one cheap google what makes a turbo weak, and check the boost efficiency range and dont run more... my 2 cents.

Hey thanks for your input. My car is a 1990 acura integra.

Back