Today's 'What is Wil up to?' thread: Wil buys a DSM

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
Was lazy/bored this morning at the shop (fell asleep last night around 9pm, woke up at 4am, couldn't get back to sleep - fuck it, I'll go to work) and decided to browse Craigslist for something nifty to buy and make money on, and lo and behold I stumbled on this li'l gem:

1z71s2f.jpg

Listed for a fairly low price, this 1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 5spd m/t had been sitting for sale on Craigslist for a little over a month. It was advertised as a two-owner car, right at 100k, all stock, and it had overheated while driving on the highway and popped the headgasket. I called the guy and spoke with him, seemed like a legitimate fella, so I mosey'd on down to Pasadena to check it out.

On the phone he told me it had been sitting for around 6 months, however the guy I spoke to was out of town on business and had his brother meet me in person. The car had obviously been sitting for a while, and his brother informed me that HE had been driving it, as they'd bought it a few years back from the original owner (also a middle-aged white dude) with the intention to hop it up, but never got around to it because they both had kids. The brother informed me that he had been driving it for a while back and forth to work, and then one day in the rain the temperature gauge topped out and the car lost power. For whatever reason, they came to the conclusion that it needed a headgasket, and they had neither the time nor extra money to pay for a rebuild, so there it sat.

According to the brother, it died just before the registration was up (4/12), but the inspection expired in 6/11 - and the car looked as though it had been sitting for well over a year. Hard to say.

Either way, the body is in GREAT shape except for two minor rust spots on both rear rocker panels under the car; and other than a 1st gen BOV, a homemade boost controller, a hose ran into the car for a boost gauge (boost gauge missing), what the brother claiemd was a 1st gen throttle body, and a Kenwood cd player, the car is all there and completely stock. I figured fuck it, why not, so I bought it.

We towed it back to the shop, replaced the improperly installed throttle body cooler line (actually, might be for the FITV, I'm not that familiar with these cars), did a quick compression and leakdown test, and within 45 minutes of arriving at the shop with it I was beating the shit out of it in the parking lot. Temperature stayed right where it should, no smoke out of the tailpipe, and no apparent loss of power.

Giggedy.

More photos and whatnot tomorrow after we go thru and detail it.

very nice... and its a talon, the better looking of the 2Gs.

if you have any questions hit me up on FB. i was on the lookout for one of these before i picked up and could help you out with some cheap OEM suspension/brake upgrades.

I ain't gonna upgrade shit...cleaning it up and putting that bitch up for sale!

Would you happen to have a stock intake/airbox and a stock BOV, though?

i may have a BOV! and it may even be not crushed! i'll check tomorow in daylight.

nice find. let's hope it stays running good

Back