Top Mount Intercooler

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

Has anybody tried to use a top mount intercooler like subaru does ? I'm not sure why you would want to do this, maybe to hide it, keep it a sleeper. Just wondering ?? Would it be tough ?

i dont think that would be possible on any inline or tall v engine, unless they are somehow mounted face down. The subaru can put a intercooler on top because it has a flat four, which gives it more space on top without having to modify the hood or anything. if you try that with a honda, i dont think youll be able to see where you're going.

that, and its completely pointless. what does heat do? it rises. engines are hot. do yo ureally want all that hot air warming up your intake charge?

if you want a sleeper look, consider a air/water, or an eclipse style side mount

my friend had a side mount on his civic, but that was only because his turbo setup was totally bootleg, and that's all he could find for a core.

but the subaru actually has a good purpose, being they are rally cars, the car uses hood scoops which means theres a less likely chance of dirt and rocks messing up the intercooler, but still would be pointless on other cars because most road cars suck dont want air going down; which may cause lift.

Yes, it CAN be done... Will it clear the stock hood? Doubtful.... Will it be efficient? Maybe... Will it have VERY LITTLE lag? YES due to the shortness of the piping...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 23 2003, 05:09 AM
if you want a sleeper look, consider a air/water, or an eclipse style side mount

:withstupid:

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Mar 24 2003, 07:44 PM
but the subaru actually has a good purpose, being they are rally cars, the car uses hood scoops which means theres a less likely chance of dirt and rocks messing up the intercooler, but still would be pointless on other cars because most road cars suck dont want air going down; which may cause lift.

Lift really has nothing to do with it... it's more of a packaging issue than anything else. Most of the guys who buy stock top mount intercooled cars move the intercooler to the front bumper for better performance later on down the line. The SR20DET guys do it, and so do the WRX guys.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Mar 25 2003, 12:32 PM
add the rsx to that. i just saw a top mounted (beside the engine) in a rsx in SSC magazine.

Well, the RSX doesn't come from the factory with a turbo and intercooler in it... :)

yeah i know that. if it came with an intercooler then it also comes with a turbo, which it doesnt. I was just stating that as to say its possible to do that. :D

That's an MR2.... it's a very logical place to put it, since you'll have space for a larger intercooler, and you can direct your airflow straight through that area just like a Porsche 911.

Ah, I see now. I guess I just automatically assume that engines go in the front of the car. Well, thanks for clearing that up. Tomorrow, I start work on my spoiler mounted intercooler, for maximum airflow. :D

Originally posted by tdehnel@Mar 25 2003, 11:45 PM
Ah, I see now. I guess I just automatically assume that engines go in the front of the car. Well, thanks for clearing that up. Tomorrow, I start work on my spoiler mounted intercooler, for maximum airflow. :D

Yup. The MR2 is a mid engine car- mounting the intercooler up front would require too much pipe and cause too much lag.

How about this- make an intercooler in the shape of a spoiler and mount it on your trunk. Super stealth y0!

:lol:

Back