Vtec Engagin

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

On my SOHC Vtec D16Y8, when I rev my engine to about 5500rpm, the sound coming from my loud intake changes tones. Is this the Vtec kicking in and why doesn't my friends exact same car and engine do the same thing. My car seems faster than his and all I have is intake. He has header, intake, exhaust, fuel crap, cam gear, and other stuff. Why is my civic stock just as fast ?

that, or he never tuned the cam gear properly and cost him both horsepower and his chances of long engine survival

or your freind does not have proper oil levels in his car along with the above fnf mods (system and rims) then his vtec is not going to engage.

Iam right in thinking the vtec won't engage if the car is in neutral? I think the car has to be going over a certain speed, with correct oil pressure, and coolant temprature. That true??

It is the same car as mine and he does have some 17" Chrome rims. How will rims make a difference ? How do you adjust the cam gear ? Is there anything else we can do ourselves without taking it to a shop, we don't know too much.....

lol. sell the 17" chrome that is keeping him slow. look in the article section. i wrote an article on changing your cam gear timing for b series engines and it all applies to d series as well.

Originally posted by simonc@Dec 27 2002, 11:35 AM
Iam right in thinking the vtec won't engage if the car is in neutral? I think the car has to be going over a certain speed, with correct oil pressure, and coolant temprature. That true??

correct

Back